Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fitness
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostSun Apr 13, 2003 8:00 pm 
Most would agree that to get in top hiking shape, nothing beats hiking to meet that goal.. So here is my question: How many days a week would one need to hit the trail, if hiking was going to be the only exercise used to reach top hiking shape? I consider top hiking shape being able to do hikes that gain 5000' and 12 - 16 miles and keep approx the same pace all day - give or take, and then do it again the next day if necessary. I AM NOT LOOKING FOR EXERCISES THAT WILL IMPROVE CONDITIONING FOR HIKING

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Apr 13, 2003 8:16 pm 
It depends how fast you need to do the miles. I think one or two times a week would work. I don't know of exercises that will improve conditioning, but I am developing a special elixer that I will soon sell for the low price of $19.99 that will require no maintenance hiking to stay in shape. up.gif

Mike E.

Mike E.
PostSun Apr 13, 2003 8:17 pm 
Pappy, I think that it depends on the person. The best hiking shape that I've ever been in was due to my hiking a 4 mile, 1500 vertical foot gain every day during the week and doing one long, high elevation hike on the weekend. Even then I don't think that I'd WANT to do two 5000 vertical foot hikes back to back, (may be just because I'm 48 and those high elevation downhills are tough on the knees).

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Apr 13, 2003 8:24 pm 
For me, Slugman, about 9 or 10 days a week might get me into that kind of shape. But seriously, I have the same dilemma. I need to be in better shape for the backpacking season which starts as soon as the snow melts, so is right around the corner for me. I get no exercise except for hiking, and one day a week just doesn't cut it. This week I'm doing two hikes back to back, Monday and Tuesday. I think this would be a minimum needed to improve fitness. Three days in a row would really do the trick. I know that when I am backpacking, I usually take a day off after hiking just two or three days. This is one reason I take twice as long to do a hike as most people. I can't imagine a trip of over five days without a rest day. One trick is to bring a heavy day pack to simulate the weight of your regular backpack.

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostSun Apr 13, 2003 10:20 pm 
If you get lots of exercise, once every two weeks. If you don't get any other cardiovascular workout, 3 times/week. It helps if your legs are somewhat used to downhill to keep from getting sore. That's the every two weeks thing. The standard lore used to be get the heartrate above xx% of max, min 20 minutes every other day. That kept the cardiovascular system in tune.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
salish

salish
PostMon Apr 14, 2003 6:21 am 
I commute to work by bicycle year round, and starting about now I start hiking to work, with a day pack, interspersing it with riding. If I averaged it out I'd be hiking in 2-3 times per week. For the first couple of weeks I bus it home or catch a ride with a coworker. After a few weeks I start hiking in with a full size pack, gradually increasing the weight until I hot what I figure my hiking pack weight will be, and I complete the trip (round trip). My distance is about five miles each way, and I live near North Seattle CC, and work near Husky Stadium, so the rebound trip home has some long, gradual uphill portions, but no lungburners. This really helps me slowly get my legs, lungs, and everything else into some semblence of condition. The trouble is sticking to the plan - it's much easier just to ride the bike in! I think this plan, coupled with a hike like Si once a week would really help me. The trouble is I just don't have the time on weekends to do a Si or similar hike. At least not until the summer, and by then I'd rather hit some real hikes.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
El Puma

El Puma
PostMon Apr 14, 2003 6:59 am 
Lacking the time to hit the mountains every week for a full day, I try to get to the gym 3x a week for a 1.5hr lifting workout. Doesn't do much for hiking shape but does absolute wonders for recovery. For general shape and cardio I leave the car at home and try to get all my business done by bike, time permitting (N.Sea to Mercer Island or Renton and back takes a pretty good chunk out of your day!). I've even done the monthly supply run to Costco with my big Dana pack on my bike. Likewise, every time I hike I travel with a 2-3 day pack and all overnight supplies (that's part of solo-hiking anyway for me). Exceptions are purpose-driven 3/4 day jaunts (i.e. pictures at Seattle Park or blueberries on Granite Mountain) on or near well-traveled trails. I generally carry over some good conditioning from hard-core skiing, except for this year (time and snow-condition induced). My best shape happens, as with most I assume, just about at the time the Pacific lows hit again and the season draws to an end...

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Apr 14, 2003 10:10 am 
I've been trying to solve this same problem myself. I don't get much exercise during the week, being a computer jockey, so I'd like to augment my weekend hiking trips with some form of exercise during the week. My initial thought was going to the gym, particularly since I have a free membership to a very nice gym through work, but going to the gym has always been a major bore to me, and I always end up dreading it for that reason, and thus I always stop going. Now that the weather is getting better, I thought of walking to work, but I think the 6 mile distance is too much for me at this point to do every day, not to mention it would take 4 hours each day to make the round trip at 3mph. I could break out the bike, but do I really want to smell sweaty at work all day? And how safe is that really in rush hour traffic? As you can see, I still haven't decided what to do. My ultimate goal is to be in good enough shape to hike 10 miles in a day and do it again the next. I'm a long way off from that right now. Unfortunately, forcing myself to go to the gym may be the only real solution. huh.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Apr 14, 2003 10:25 am 
I exercise 5 times a week. Monday through Friday. I do the stairmaster for 50 minutes everyday maintaining an 80% heartbeat, but every 5-10 minutes I go to 100% of my heartbeat. It is called Fartlek or interval training. After my cardiovascular I do two sets of 10 pull ups and two sets of leg press or leg lifts. In the morning I just started doing 30 crunch situps and 10 minutes of jumping rope. My resting heartbeat is now in the low 50's. After my accident, my resting heartbeat was in the 70's.

Art is an adventure.
pappy-

pappy-
PostMon Apr 14, 2003 10:58 am 
Mike E. wrote:
The best hiking shape that I've ever been in was due to my hiking a 4 mile, 1500 vertical foot gain every day during the week and doing one long, high elevation hike on the weekend
Interesting. I think I may have mis-led some of you. I am not not anti-exercise. Quite the contrary, I am addicted to it. I rotate daily between running (long hills), climbing stairs with a backpack, and upper body strength work. But I think if I could get out 3 times a week, supplemented with a little upper body strength work, I could easily surpass my current fitness level as it relates to hiking.
Quote:
If you get lots of exercise, once every two weeks. If you don't get any other cardiovascular workout, 3 times/week. It helps if your legs are somewhat used to downhill to keep from getting sore. That's the every two weeks thing.
Probably about right. Thanks. And FWIW, I am not interested in hiking farther and faster than anyone - I only want to be able to go on hard hikes for as long as I can and not feel dead from doing it. (Plus all the exercise give me a youthful glow). tongue.gif

Canada Goose

Canada Goose
PostMon Apr 14, 2003 2:27 pm 
I carry some conditioning over from the ski season but in the spring I like to start trail running for 45 minutes 3 times per week. On the weekend I take at least 1 day for a long day hike with my full overnight pack. I start out with just the base pack weight (19 lbs) and add a bit extra weight every time I go. I feel the cardiovascular workout I get when running is the most important for me.

"He who binds to himself a joy does the winged life destroy. But he who kisses the joy as it flies Lives in eternity's sun rise." - William Blake
BodyResults

BodyResults
PostMon Apr 14, 2003 6:54 pm 
Wilderness Travel Conditioning
Here's a good basic overview article of training for Wilderness Travel www.bodyresults.com/S2BWThiking.asp You will find many other articles for training for Hiking and Mountaineering on my site. Let me know what you think.

Doug Schurman www.BodyResults.com Seattle, WA
Singing Canary

Singing Canary
PostMon Apr 14, 2003 7:26 pm 
pappy wrote:
I only want to be able to go on hard hikes for as long as I can and not feel dead from doing it.
Ah yes, perhaps even bag all 3 peaks on that one trip. wink.gif

PostMon Apr 14, 2003 7:50 pm 
Dreamer! winksmile.gif

Redoubt

Redoubt
PostMon Apr 14, 2003 8:54 pm 
Oh come on! moon.gif