Spickard
PostMon Apr 14, 2003 8:57 pm 
Yeah, come on! Go Pappy, go! tongue.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostTue Apr 15, 2003 11:20 am 
Getting in shape
Conditioning? vat eis conditioning? Isn't that something you do to your hair? huh.gif We don't need any stinking conditioning!!

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostTue Apr 15, 2003 1:26 pm 
BodyResults wrote:
Here's a good basic overview article of training for Wilderness Travel www.bodyresults.com/S2BWThiking.asp You will find many other articles for training for Hiking and Mountaineering on my site. Let me know what you think.
BodyResults: Like your site and have looked at it before. What do you think of the routine that I do? How about Stefan's?

allison-

allison-
PostTue Apr 15, 2003 6:43 pm 
Conditioning is boring. I just go, and by the end of the summer I can do more than I could at the beginning of the summer.

BodyResults

BodyResults
PostTue Apr 15, 2003 11:56 pm 
Pappy, I think your workout is good. Getting out 3 times a week will improve you hiking fitness. It would probably be beneficial for you to do some leg strengthening exercises. Squats, stepups, reverse stepdowns (helps for descents - pictures at http://www.bodyresults.com/E2kneetest.asp) lunges etc. Stefan is getting a good amount of cardio. I would suggest not doing the interval training on every cardio session though. It better for the body to do this 1-2 times per week. However for intervals I would suggest doing something a little different. Take a look at www.bodyresults.com/E2FartlekIntervals.asp for more information. Stefan could also expand his strength training. I would drop the leg press since you are working the muscles in a 1 dimentional track. Try free weight exercise where the body has to maintain balance in 3 dimensions. Also, try varying the exercises, reps and sets every 4-6 weeks.

Doug Schurman www.BodyResults.com Seattle, WA

PostWed Apr 16, 2003 7:14 am 
BR, thanks for the response. up.gif allison-, conditioning is my life. embarassedlaugh.gif just the other day, a new co-worker that just happens to live near me, saw me doing my stairs / backpack routine in the rain. "man, you must be crazy"! lol.gif You just gotta love sweat.

pinch two inches

pinch two inches
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 7:29 am 
So what is the best form of exercise/sport that doesn't involve a gym machine. Gyms are ok but it's fun to do something with others. If you had to pick one, what would it be? Isn't fencing suppposed to be good as long as the blades aren't too sharp? Skipping rope? Hiking? What if you are confined to a chair in front of a tv?

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 8:32 am 
Quote:
BodyResults said: Stefan is getting a good amount of cardio. I would suggest not doing the interval training on every cardio session though. It better for the body to do this 1-2 times per week. However for intervals I would suggest doing something a little different. Take a look at www.bodyresults.com/E2FartlekIntervals.asp for more information. Stefan could also expand his strength training. I would drop the leg press since you are working the muscles in a 1 dimentional track. Try free weight exercise where the body has to maintain balance in 3 dimensions. Also, try varying the exercises, reps and sets every 4-6 weeks.
I will try something different. Always love expert advice!

Art is an adventure.
allison-

allison-
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 3:56 pm 
Stef, even though I hate conditioning, this BR fellow is right. You ought to think of lunges and squats as a good substitute for the leg press. If you haven't done squats before, get someone to school you on how to do them right and use a mirror for reference until your body knows how to do it right, else you might hurt your back.

pinch 1.5 inches

pinch 1.5 inches
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 8:06 pm 
I still think I'd try fencing--lunges and squats galore and you get to exercise with someone else, plus if you meet a bear you can say "En garde". If the bear replies "En garde" then you are in very big trouble, but I suspect he will say nothing in which case you have already won the battle.

X.R. Size

X.R. Size
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 9:50 pm 
I haven't tried squat. In fact I haven't tried diddly. I really am not interested in seeing a diddly squat. However, I've tried various activities that exercise the heart and lungs. Doesn't matter which one it is as long as this major muscle group gets exercise. Do one that is fun or social. Just do it. Eddy Merckx used to smoke to exercise his lungs.

reststep

reststep
PostMon Apr 28, 2003 3:04 pm 
allison- wrote:
Conditioning is boring. I just go, and by the end of the summer I can do more than I could at the beginning of the summer.
That might work when you are younger but when you are older you had better keep going. If you stop you might not get started again.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Fiscally Fit

Fiscally Fit
PostMon Apr 28, 2003 3:52 pm 
Conditioning is fun. You can do strenuous trips at the beginning of summer, while the Allisons of the world huff and puff and puff and puff. Then they make excuses like "I like to stop and enjoy the gravel at the trailhead", or "It's important to take photos of the first switchback, that's why I got this 78 gigabyte movie camera". By the end of summer, you can do two-day trips in a day and see enough rough 'n tough stuff the huff 'n puffs'd love. Get off your duff and get real buff.

allison-

allison-
PostMon Apr 28, 2003 6:28 pm 
Maybe I was just born lucky, maybe it was eight years of competitive middle distance running, but unless I'm going to do something real tough or right at the beginning of the year, I don't train. I might do the Golden Gardens stairs a few times before we do St. Helens next month, but beyond that, training is not really for me. I just avoid going out with Fox, Collins, and Torok! clown.gif

Nickle Fit

Nickle Fit
PostMon Apr 28, 2003 6:55 pm 
I think the best way to train is to enjoy a sport with a friend. Some of those exercise places with stair masters and things look more like torture. I mean, climbing an endless staircase? Oooh it makes me wonder. Wasn't there longish song about that in the 70's? But to each their own. Anyhow, Some people jog, up.gif Some people skip, smile.gif Some laze on the couch until you crack the whip, down.gif Some people swim, cool.gif It keeps them quite slim, redface.gif Some people drink only low fat or skim, hurl.gif Some people hike, drink.gif Some people bike, moon.gif They wear vans, converse, keds, or nike, rolleyes.gif Some sit, and worse, paranoid.gif Type out lame verse, down.gif To void off the calories, doctors, and nurse, shakehead.gif Just be sure you do somthin' burger.gif To keep the heart pumpin' agree.gif Be it hop skotch, jazzercise or merely rope jumpin'. hmmm.gif up.gif