Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wallace Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Wazzuhiker

Wazzuhiker
PostTue Apr 15, 2003 10:29 pm 
I have been up to Wallace Falls numerous times but I had never made it all the way to the lake. The main reason being the discouraging sign at the top that says use caution when proceeding beyond this point when people get lost here they do it right here. The reason being that there is no maintained trail for about a half mile through thick timber. I did some research and found an alternate route to the lake. When you begin at the trailhead you take the railroad grade instead of the Woody trail. The Railroad grade is a basically a road used by mountain bikers. You follow it for about 2 miles until you come to a cutoff to the left that says Wallace Lake Via DNR road. The trail was fairly flat and continued through some thick forrest for about a mile until it spit you out into a clear cut and the DNR road. They weren't kidding when they called it a road I wished I would have brought my rollerblades dizzy.gif . It was a very well maintained and well used gravel road. I was a little disappointed because I was expecting and overgrown singletrack. The sign at this point said 4.6 miles to the lake. These miles were not very interesting, the trail, I mean road switched back through clearcuts in various stages of renewal. There were places where I had some good views of the Skykomish river valley below but that was about it for views. I ran into a DNR biologist who was studying the water runoff from the clearcuts he said I didn't pick a very scenic hike. At about the 6.5 mile point the trail to the lake split off of the DNR road and there was a sign indicating the state park boundary. The lake was another half a mile in. The lake wasn't anything special comparing it to any of the alpine lakes but it was pretty cool for a lake in the lowlands. There where several picnic tables around the lake and the banks were not nearly as brushy as a lot of lower lakes. A sign at the lake indicated there where 8 species of trout that inhabit the lake. Good fishing might makeup for the lack of scenery on the way up. Going out I really didn't want to go down the DNR road again so I followed the signs to the Upper Wallace Falls. I took my chances on being able to find the trail. From the Lake to the upper falls was a 2.5 mile hike 2 of these miles were on a private logging road that went through some forest and some clearcut. The last half mile was straight downhill through thick forest with no clear trail. Luckily they had marked trees with blue diamonds so you knew which direction to go. Needless to say I found my way home. Overall the hike was an experience, I do not recommend doing it alone. It got a little lonely hiking on a road with nothing to look at and no one to talk to. I figured I hiked almost 13 miles roundtrip but if you go to the lake via the upper falls it is about 11.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians..," Ted Nugent
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostTue Apr 15, 2003 10:45 pm 
Cameron, Perhaps you did not see my old photo of the trail to Wallace Lake before they turned it back into a road. It is in the History area under "Old Photos". It used to be one of the premier, fairly unknown, low elevation, and close in trails. Here's another link to the photo: Wallace Lake Trail Compare that with the road you just walked. The trail continued around to the upper falls for a great loop.

Wazzuhiker

Wazzuhiker
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 9:58 am 
It would have been great to hike to the lake on that trail. Thanks for the history lesson I had no idea that there used to be a different route to the lake. It might be a rumor but I heard that they are in the process of building another trail to the lake. Have you heard any such thing?

JimK

JimK
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 11:04 am 
Cameron, I have not heard a thing about a new trail. It would surprise me if any new trails appear in state parks while they are underfunded. As to there once being a different route to the lake... It was the same route as today. Imagine that wide gravel road as a narrow grassy trail with a canopy of trees.

salish

salish
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 12:30 pm 
I drove my 1948 Willys Jeep to Wallace Lake in 1975, and it was along an old track that became precarious at times. Had to fold the windshield down and duck our heads to get under trees.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Wazzuhiker

Wazzuhiker
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 5:09 pm 
Up untill about 6 months ago if you had a capable 4x4 you could drive up to Shaw and almost Jay lakes via olney pit in Sultan basin. They closed the trail to the public and made a very nice gravel road right up to Shaw lake accessible only by the DNR.