Forum Index > Trip Reports > W. Fork Foss, Trout Lk, Pulking Along 2-1-2-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSat Feb 03, 2007 12:46 am 
I finished my pulk the other day(check out the Gear section) and wanted a close by spot to try it out. I figured if I was going to give it a test then I may as well do a overnighter, so I loaded her up and away I went. I haven't been up the Foss near Skykomish this winter, so that made for a good spot to go. Sunny, not a cloud in the sky gorgeous day. Darn, I was late getting out the door and it was near noon when I reached the end of the plowed road. I really could have driven farther as the road is solid packed down ice and others have driven with 4x4's or SUV. Anything off the road is deep snow. The snowcats have been going up and down the main road to Maloney Ridge and have plowed some and I think ran a groomer as the road is packed down smooth all the way across. Perfect snow conditions to try out my pulk. Maybe a bit icy, but no snowshoes required anywhere I travelled. I made good time as I was getting used to the pull of the sled. Took me about 1/4 mile and I was trucking up the road. Way cool stopping and not messing with a full pack if I wanted to stop and take pics or grab something. I could drop my fanny pack and be moving again in a few seconds without grunting on a heavy pack.
Foss River Rd.
Foss River Rd.
Ice along the Foss R. Rd.
Ice along the Foss R. Rd.
Me and my Pulkster
Me and my Pulkster
About 2 miles in I came to the turn off to Trout Lake. The road went from smooth groomed to x/c sk track rock hard yuck. You could actually drive this far if you had a 4x4, but there isn't much room to park and the snow is about 3 ft. deep. I wasn't quite sure where I was going and the sun was hot and warm, so I continued on. I made it to the bridge across the E. Fork Foss and 2 guys were coming up the road. They had snowshoes on, but really that was more for traction and the one guy said he had a bad ankle and didn't want to slip. They had only gone a short distance farther. The pulk was pulling well and I was making good time. Then disaster struck!......I lost a wing nut on my sled attach point. $%^& I had been watching them like a hawk and it loosened up and fell off. I backtracked down the road and was about to give up when I found the nylon washer. Another couple hundred yards and nothing. $#$% ok, I was able to borrow one from the center point and use a strap in place of the nut, so I was on my way shortly. Note to self, find drilled bolts or clevis pins and lock everything down tight!~ I'll blame the vibration on the nasty ski tracks that were sunk in about 6 inches. The ski tracks have ended!...YES! I was now on untracked snow for a change. The ski people stopped about 1/2 mile from the Trout Lake parking lot, so I had peace and easy pulling for a bit. The floods of Nov. were not kind to the parking lot. I could see where water had cut a path near the start of the trail and took out the TH sign. Now I was about to give my pulk a good test. Entering the trail I pulled and had to wind my way through some blow downs and various snow conditions, mostly rock hard ice. Snow is about 4 ft. deep. It was about 2pm and the sun was starting to drop behind the mountains. I wanted a sunny spot, so headed for the river. The trail was easy to follow and I found a spot along the W. Fk Foss about a 1/2 mile in and set up camp. It was cold,so I had to have a campfire. The full moon came up over the ridge to the East and I grabbed my camera and played around with some night shots. I had thoughts of hiking up to Trout Lk in the moonlight, but the warm fire sure was nice.
Camp on Foss River
Camp on Foss River
Night Time Shot
Night Time Shot
Moon Humps
Moon Humps
Moon View along the Foss
Moon View along the Foss
Campfire on the Foss
Campfire on the Foss
It was cold!.....made it down to 15 by morning. The clear skies were gone and it was hazy skies now. #$%^ I wanted to get up to at least Trout Lk with blue skies. Well, you can't always get what you want. I also wanted to check out the flood carnage farther upstream. There are an assorted mess of downed trees along the trail to the river crossing. The first log crossing is a tilted disaster waiting to happen. The others are no where to be found. Come high water NO ONE will be hiking here. The water is very low now and you can step across the Foss. There are some downed trees farther down the river that you might be able to tight rope across.
P2022434-1
P2022434-1
P2022439-1
P2022439-1
Trail was easy to follow in the 4-5 ft. of snow and only Stabilicers required for traction. This type of snow is so awesome where you can go anywhere with out worry of sinking. Arriving at the landslide area near the lake I was surprised to see it all gone and a gorge dug way down! There's also a side gorge coming down from the west, so this will take some careful routing once the snow is gone.
P2022456-1
P2022456-1
Trout Lake was reached and a shadow of what it used to be. The lake is at least 40 ft. down from the landslide era and even below the original level. Dead and broken trees litter the shoreline and the No Campfire signs are a joke. There is a lifetime of downed and dying timber along with dozens of new blown over trees. Put up a HUGE sign CAMPFIRES WELCOME and some of that crud will go away. Only 5 campsites are allowed here in the dreary dark woods. It was cool hearing the ice shatter and groan. I ate lunch and enjoyed the partial sun and solitude. I wish I would have had more time to take a run up to Copper or Delta.
P2022467-1
P2022467-1
P2022488-1
P2022488-1
P2022500-1
P2022500-1
Back down to camp and out to my car. Hiked 11.3 miles and 1,000 ft. gain. I only saw 2 people yesterday and no sign that anyone has hiked past the Trout Lk parking lot. The river crossing is going to be difficult once the water starts flowing. Get up there while you can or it might be August if they don't fix the river crossings. The pulk is awesome and the ONLY way to winter camp with road or easy open country to hike. up.gif up.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Feb 03, 2007 2:05 am 
Hey that's a great trip. Kool to you the "pulkster" too.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostSat Feb 03, 2007 3:04 am 
Nice "Moon humps"! I think I'll build me a pulk by next winter..

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSat Feb 03, 2007 11:15 am 
Wasn't the moonlight just something else Thursday night? I like the moon humps photo with the big dipper.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSat Feb 03, 2007 11:55 am 
The moon was so bright on the sparkly snow. I"ve never seen so much hoar frost so wide spread. It was almost like everything reflected the moonlight with tiny mirrors. That was the first time I've used my Oly e-500 at night, so I didn't really know what I was doing. I'm surprised they came out at all. Knowing now that I wouldn't have had any problem crossing the river upstream I should have hiked up at night to Trout and farther up. The snow was rock hard every where I went. The Stablicers are my most favored gear in winter. When you kick a rock they spark!......smile.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles