Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Dating
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 9:35 am 
How did I know when this guy was not right for me? I asked him if he had a pair of hiking boots and he said "what for?". I said, "well, to go hiking, of course." He then said, "what do you think the Discovery chanel is for!" lol.gif THAT was the end of THAT! biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 12:04 pm 
Catwoman, That story reminds me of my ex-wife, never did like hiking. She gets her "exercise" now by going square dancing. hurl.gif Each to their own I guess.

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 12:10 pm 
My date for this Saturday definitely has hiking boots and she likes to hike. Seeing as it's our first date, should I go ahead and ask her about "The Discovery Channel"? Maybe I shouldn't be that aggressive! wink.gif BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Damian

Damian
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 1:57 pm 
Common recreational interests is a shallow requirement for a good mate.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 2:40 pm 
Damian wrote:
Not if you plan to spend time together. I spend most weekends out hiking and/or taking pictures. If I'm dating a woman that doesn't enjoy those things, then I probably won't see her much. She'd have to be a hell of a woman for me to give up my passions. I'd honestly rather be single than sacrifice the things I enjoy to be in a relationship. Which is probably why I'm single. dizzy.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 2:50 pm 
Maybe it's just me, but I detected a hint of sarcasm in Damian's reply. hmmm.gif

Mike E.

Mike E.
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 3:02 pm 
Quote:
Damian, Man you really had me laughing on that one lol.gif The requirements for a good mate vary so widely with every person and circumstance that it is impossible to make any statement that will stick to every situation. As for shallow...hmmm, maybe. But for me, having common interests with a mate is essential. Since being outdoors is such a large part of my life, anyone who will be spending time with me will, by definition, be out there too. From my own experience and that of many people that I know, it seems that the more interests that they share with their mate, the better their relationship seems to work. Why are recreational interests shallow ? My recreational interests define my life and my thinking. I'll be walking around all day feeling like a dish pan now. bawl.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 4:20 pm 
MCaver and Mike E. - I completely agree. The funny thing is, I'd already been on a few dates with this guy and he said he enjoyed hiking in the very beginning!

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 5:22 pm 
Tom wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but I detected a hint of sarcasm in Damian's reply. hmmm.gif
Knowing Damian, that is quite possible. If so, I completely missed it the first time! dizzy.gif

asolo

asolo
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 8:00 pm 
So did you give him the boots? lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif paranoid.gif hihi.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 8:12 pm 
I think shared interests are great, and so are unshared interests. Tanja and I spend five or six days a week together, so I relish the chance to be alone one day when I hike, and she gets to spend a day with her friends without feeling like she's ditching me. Anything that works is cool. That way when we do share a short hike like Big Four Ice Caves or Twin Falls State Park or some beach hike on Whidbey, it is special and memorable.

-florida

-florida
PostWed Apr 16, 2003 11:12 pm 
catwoman wrote:
The funny thing is, I'd already been on a few dates with this guy and he said he enjoyed hiking in the very beginning!
So many people pretend to have the same interests in the beginning only to bait the hook. One can only pretend for so long. It is admirable that you are upfront in what is important to you in a relationship and honest about it from the get go! You don't want someone who plays games when forming a relationship anyway, do you?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 5:53 am 
I think sharing interests is important but not everything. I would think that being interested in each other would be one of the more important, regardless if you both participate in activities together or not. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
JimK

JimK
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 7:50 am 
I differentiate between "interests" and "passions". I have many interests which are not that critrical. If a partner does not enjoy one, so be it. For me hiking goes far beyond simply being another interest. I spend so much time on the trails that if a partner did not share my passion we would not see that much of each other. Also, I think the fact that I get so much out of being on a mountain top or at a secluded lake that if a partner did not enjoy that then our overall views would be too dissimilar. I will always want to do solo trips. Getting away by myself is very important to me. However, I like company most of the time and having a partner to share my greatest passion is an ideal situation. Finding that person is sure not easy though. There are not that many women with a passion for the outdoors. There are also many other factors of equal importance. Finding a truly compatible person who loves to hike is the trick.

Smokey

Smokey
PostThu Apr 17, 2003 9:10 pm 
I'm the male half of the relationship and I want to warn you all about the dangers of a one-interest relationship. Luckily my friend and I had more than one interest in common so when she blew out her knee and was out of hiking commission for more than a year, it wasn't a big deal. Then the other knee went two years later and the doc said no more long hikes ever. No problem. We both have a love of gardening although I like to plant things and she likes to dig them up. And while I can sit quietly in the yard and read a book she still enjoys digging up moles and eating goose poop. When she's tired, she'll come over so I can scratch her ears. When I really need to get away though I just lock her in the kennel. I always make sure to bring her a treat when I return though.
A picture of the subject of the post.
A picture of the subject of the post.