Forum Index > Trail Talk > Overnight trip with good weather?????
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
crazycourier

crazycourier
PostFri Apr 18, 2003 10:08 am 
Anyone got any suggestions on a good overnight trip my girlfriend and I can do this weekend. I was looking for something around 10-20miles RT, good weather and no snow (a million bucks would be nice too). We were going to hike along the olympic coast but rain is having us search other places. I called the Leavy ranger station and the only trail that might be ok is Icicle Ridge, but it supposedly has snow around 4 miles. We're both strong hikers so difficulty is not an issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with katsup.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Apr 18, 2003 10:44 am 
The weather reports for pretty much the whole state call for bad weather this weekend the last time I checked. You might be out of luck if you're looking to avoid rain. This could change on a moment's notice, of course. Weather here is very moody. tongue.gif

Larry

Larry
PostFri Apr 18, 2003 11:22 am 
Ephrata area is looking good. Partly sunny and near 70 both days. Steamboat Rock and Northrup Canyon are good possibilities...wonderful country, and a nice change of pace.

crazycourier

crazycourier
PostFri Apr 18, 2003 11:24 am 
I check the weather in Vantage, Leavenworth and Winthrop and all are forecasting partly cloudly...but no rain?!?!? But agreed, the weather here is very moody. I don't even mind if it's not sunny, I'm just whinning and trying a last ditch effort to avoid getting soaked on the coast. If it comes down to it I'll head out there though. Anything around vantage that might be fun (but not the frenchmans coulee, been climbing there the last 2 weekends and I really want to avoid all the Daryls and rockfall). Or maybe Winthrop, twisp area? Someone was telling me about Aspen Lake in that area?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with katsup.
Quark

Quark
PostFri Apr 18, 2003 11:26 am 
Hard pressed to find something with that mileage for a weekend near Seattle and not run into snow. The Blue Mtns may offer you a trail, but it's a long drive for a weekend trip for 10-20 miles. Same with the Columbia Gorge down south. Unless you leave in about 5 minutes. You might check w/ the Marblemount RS - Green Point on Ross Lake is a nice spot, but it's only about 3 miles in. View of Jack Mtn if the weather is clear. Little Beaver is further in (same trail), so you may check that out as well. Big trees at Little Beaver.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
dean brittain

dean brittain
PostFri Apr 18, 2003 4:34 pm 
Crazycourier Look into the Thunder Creek trail. Myself and Slugman have 2 trip reports posted. It was supposed to rain the weekend my wife and I went but, it was dry both days.

mountain fresh
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Apr 18, 2003 8:40 pm 
I concur with d.b about Thunder creek. Alan Bauer says there is a rain shadow effect in this area, and I suspect it's true from the two recent experiences noted here. Also, snow is now non-existant for at least 8 miles in, until the major climb to pass above the swamp section of T.C. , and even then there may be little snow there. The trail then drops down again, so it might be possible to go much further. (farther?). The weather I experienced was certainly much better than the forecast for west slopes and passes of the north cascades posted by NOAA.