Forum Index > Trail Talk > Name this Plant
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostTue May 06, 2003 9:03 pm 
Yes!!! biggrin.gif its the second one!!! Cool.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Larry

Larry
PostWed May 07, 2003 11:11 am 
Ulrich F. wrote:
Yesterday while on the Dungeness Spit we came across these flowers, in a Savannah like area near the lighthouse. Any ideas?
I think we are looking at Penstemons (there are hundreds of varieties). My clues: 1. The typical Penstemon leaf shapes and structure. 2. The "bearded" lobe on one of the petals, and the overall Penstemon shape of the flower. Edit: ALTHOUGH...the flowers look almost like a variety of Sweet Peas in a way....but everything else yells "Penstemon" to me...this is always tough, isn't it?

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostWed May 07, 2003 11:22 am 
looks like some sort of pentstamen or monkey flower? (same family) Opposite leaves?

Ulrich

Ulrich
PostWed May 07, 2003 11:40 am 
Following above suggestions I went back to the books: Gray Beach Pea probably the correct answer. Thanks everyone

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostWed May 07, 2003 9:55 pm 
It is definitely not a penstemon. It is in the pea family but I don't think it is a Gray Beach Pea. That is a very close. Grey Beach Pea is hairy and from the picture this plant doesn't look very hairy. There are also tendrils at the stem tips which the Gray Beach Pea isn't suppose to have. We think it may be Japanese Beach Pea, Lathyrus Japonicus. Another distinctive item is wings at the base of the side stems and flower stem. - Marta

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu May 08, 2003 2:54 am 
I be thinkin' the beach pea too. Lookin' at my books I would think Marta is correct tho I can't really see the wings. Pretty photo. It's always tough for me unless it a dandelion. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostThu May 08, 2003 7:45 am 
You did a great job. This one was hard. Sometimes we can only get to the family. The key in Washington Wildflowers didn't really help a lot other than no tendrils at the tip. The Petersen Guide had some better drawings. The 'wings' that I'm trying to describe is the circle leaf that is at the base of where three stems come together. You can see it at the bottom of the flower stem on flowers 2 and 3 from the left. Looks kinda like a little collar. - Marta

Larry

Larry
PostThu May 08, 2003 10:38 am 
marta wrote:
You did a great job. This one was hard. Sometimes we can only get to the family. The key in Washington Wildflowers didn't really help a lot other than no tendrils at the tip. The Petersen Guide had some better drawings. The 'wings' that I'm trying to describe is the circle leaf that is at the base of where three stems come together. You can see it at the bottom of the flower stem on flowers 2 and 3 from the left. Looks kinda like a little collar. - Marta
Marta: So, I hope I'm forgiven for jumping in too fast with the old "penstemon" guess... shakehead.gif Marta: From this thread, it sounds like you have authored a book about flowers?

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostThu May 08, 2003 2:56 pm 
Larry, Nope, never written a book. It is just a lot of time spent ID plants on the trail and a lot of help from hubby. He's the real plant expert. I'm the computer geek. Also thanks for the great report on Hayward Road, Larry. I'm going to use it when we go. Your report was where I first heard about it. I also came across a hike of the month from the Native Plant Society on the web on the area. - Marta

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu May 08, 2003 6:31 pm 
Lone Pine Book Descriptions
I emailed Lone Pine Publishing in regards to their 2 books, linked in an earlier post, about what the differences were as they looked very much the same. Here's the reply. We are a Canadian based company with a satellite company in the United States. We publish books for both Canada and the U.S.. Basically there is little difference in the 2 titles you mentioned other than a few references to either Canada or the U.S. The Plants of S. Interior BC is the Canadian version and The Plants of S. Interior BC and Inland NW is the U.S. version. We do this with several of our titles because the context of the book is appropriate for certain common areas of the U.S. and Canada but, we each like our own version. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSat May 10, 2003 12:50 pm 
Here is a pretty nice plant photo gallery.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
JimK

JimK
PostSat May 10, 2003 1:31 pm 
Marta, Thanks for the tip on "Washington Wildflowers". I ordered a copy from half.com on Tuesday and it arrived on Thursday. The steps to identify a flower within each family are really interesting. Now if I could just remember next year what I learn this year....