Forum Index > Trail Talk > Interesting Items Found - Objects Discovered While Hiking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jan 06, 2002 10:12 pm 
Yeah, well I found Randy and Craig on the same TC trail and I figured they were being chased by the squatch or something, but it turns out they just usually hike that fast. Course now they can hike it even faster thanks to 8< work wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jan 06, 2002 10:42 pm 
Scrooge, is that registration board still there? I would like to check it out if I go up there again.

Benjamin

Benjamin
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 12:13 am 
I stumbled across the remains of an old airplane on a ridge above Iceberg Lake. Also, speaking of "wacky tobaccy" a relucent, light green, square shaped patch of vegetation once caught my eye on the way to Holoman Lake. Upon further investigation I determined that someone had planted a herb garden. I suppose they did not want to carry unnecessary weight into the wilderness, so they became farmers to cut down pack weight. Chances are they will probably not be able to remember where they planted their crop!

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 12:56 am 
Ah, we seek the Hobbit Hole? Here's the Hermit's Hole at http://www.alpinequest.com/1absurdlink.html

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 8:41 am 
Mike. I was only there once, about four years ago. The board was two or three hundred yards in from the highest point you can reach by road (no idea if road is still drivable). A very obvious path led from the road end up to the ridge and then SSW along the ridge. The bump the board was on was just above a small grassy meadow (a nice camp spot) and a little intermittant pool/puddle. If vandals have left it alone, it should still be there, though the sign-in sheets would have been filled long ago if not replaced.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 8:50 am 
I know none of you guys could appreciate this, but I found a really cool scarf on the Carbon Glacier trail this year! It was just sitting in the bushes off to the side of the trail. It goes perfectly with a certain skirt of mine! smile.gif

reststep

reststep
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 11:43 am 
We found a teddy bear with a camera attached to it on the trail to Moraine Park in Mt. Rainier National Park. I found a nice fleece jacket in Boston Basin. It was all folded up with a rock placed on top of it. I suspect that someone left it there on a warm day with the intention of returning and then forgot it or were not able to remember where it was. Anyway I left it there on the off chance that they were still someplace in the basin.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 2:28 pm 
Not all that long ago I found a Christmas tree up on Tiger Mt. It was on the Bootleg Trail near the intersection with the unofficial trail that goes up to East Tiger. 8 feet tall and fully decked out with ornaments, ribbon, and many other decorations. It was quite a surprise as I ran by! No gifts though.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 6:57 pm 
Or the mail was REALLY slow.

Naffer
What's Up!

Naffer
What's Up!
PostMon Jan 07, 2002 7:35 pm 
How about a tail wheel from a floatplane at Angeline lake, or 3 ice cold Budwisers at Paradise lakes(wow were they good! right Backpacker Joe)

"Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth." -Charles A. Dana (1819 - 1897)
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 08, 2002 12:06 am 
Roger that Naffer. Those beers were paradise, at Paradise! The tail wheel was found at the mid lake campsite east side of the lake.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Jan 08, 2002 12:26 am 
I found a six pack of wild Rainiers at Big Greider Lake and a half case of Bud Light at Peek-a-boo Lake. But the best beer I've ever had on a hike was on our trip to Montana this past summer. We were about half way through our 9 day trip on a very hot day down in the valley of the Middle Fork of the Flathead River when one of the guys asks if anyone wants a cold beer. He hops up, runs away, and a couple minutes later comes back with a nice cold beer he had stashed in a nearby stream. He had found it that day along the river. The can was battle scared from being knocked around by the river, but it sure tasted good. We split it 4 ways.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch

PostTue Jan 08, 2002 8:38 am 
Speaking of free beer in the woods: Best beer: Given to us by the resident volunteer Park Ranger dude at Copper Ridge Lookout on a hot day. Told us the Park service choppered in his food and beverages for two weeks. Stash was in the snow bank hehind the LO. Worst beer: Ran into two guys that identified themselves as "locals" half way up the old Lk Serene trail. Stop to chat and guy says they didn't make it All the way to the lake. Matter of fact in three tries he's never made it ALL the way. One guy is carrying a duffle bag with beer. As he offers us one he prowdly shows us a side arm. I took it as some sort of whimpy-macho threat - but drank the beer and the made it ALL the way to the lake.

Timber Cruiser

Timber Cruiser
PostTue Jan 08, 2002 5:43 pm 
I've found many items while working in the woods -cabins, explosives,guns, spotting scopes, a dropped whiskey bottle or two. I even found a "hobbit hole" in the Federation Forest on one of their loop(y?) trails. But the one item that concerned me the most was the door to a small airplane. It wasn't associated with a crash site. At least not in that area. confused.gif

"Logging encourages the maintenance of foilage by providing economic alternatives to development."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 08, 2002 5:55 pm 
There's a fairly large camp hacked into the woods with tarp-n-pole cabin, chairs, woodpile, and other odds and ends hidden in the trees up by Squitch lake on the Cle Elum river. I suspect it's a deer camp or something, they did a lot of cutting to clear the immediate area. It's directly south of the "lake" at about 4200', roughly 300' back in the taller trees surrounding the meadow around the "lake". I was coming down from Goat Peak and crashing through the brush, then bingo, I was standing in a clearing with a shelter made from poles and tarps. Had a T shirt hanging from the rafters and a creepy vibe about the place, so I took a look around and left. What you learn from horror movies is don't be curious, *leave*! smile.gif paranoid.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers