Forum Index > Trail Talk > Interesting Items Found - Objects Discovered While Hiking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
reststep

reststep
PostFri Jan 11, 2002 10:17 pm 
Here is another website that has information and pictures about the B-17 that crashed near Tull Canyon. http://www.peak.org/~mikey/746/index.htm

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 3:47 pm 
When descending Mt. Margaret in late spring about ten years ago I happened upon a Piper Cub wreck. Eventually I connected with someone for the State of Washington who apparently are the data collectors for crashes. It might be different for military however. If people are out there prowling for crashes I am told there is one between Gunn Peak and Merchant.

JimK

JimK
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 7:31 am 
This subject brings back a sad memory for me. On 11-21-92 (thanks to my trip log) I was hiking up the Pratt Lake trail in the early morning. A good sized snowfall had just occurred and it was still snowing lightly that morning. I slogged along in soft fresh snow for several miles. I heard a small plane going over me at a very low altitude. Visibility was zero but it was very loud. Suddenly the sound just stopped. I turned around and headed back. By the time I arrived home the news of a missing plane was already on the news. They found the plane the next day. A family was flying to Pullman for the UW-WSU football game. I believe the wreckage was somewhere on the east side of Granite Mountain. The Times put a map with the story showing the crash site. I doubt that it was ever removed. Anyone who wants to look up the story in the Times archives could figure out where it was.

rubberlegs to Mike

rubberlegs to Mike
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 11:28 am 
Mike, I recall seeing that same wreckage on the trail to Twin Lakes. But every time I've been back I have not been able to find it. I wonder if they took it all out?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dante

Dante
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 4:38 pm 
There used to be wreckage of something (looked more like a gyrocopter than a regular airplane) on the shore of Chetwoot, too, but I think the Forest Service packed it out.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Aug 28, 2002 9:22 am 
Dante and I found an airplane (1940's Piper tri pacer) at the bottom of Otter lake in the Foss region. She's sitting upside down at about 50 feet. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln