Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sourdough Mtn (pt 6107) NCNP 2/17/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 11:43 am 
I have been waiting all winter for the right combination of weather and snow conditions to do a snowcamping trip. Forecasts early in the week were looking promising, so I rallied the troops. Things didn't pan out weatherwise for snowcamping, but we decided to head out anyway since saturday looked decent. M Mark, Laurie C, Eric J and myself left Seattle Friday night headed for the North Cascades. We would stay at Mark's aunt's house strategically located in Marblemount friday night to ensure an early start on Saturday. It was raining when we arrived, but we held onto hope, and prayed the forecast would deliver a clearing/partly cloudy day tomorrow. Saturday morning had us driving through some dense fog towards Diablo, where the fog was beginning to lift and blue skies could be spotted above. Yay! We hit the trail behind the covered swimming pool by 7:45am (900ft). The weather was definitely improving the higher we climbed. The sourdough mtn. trail is a bit of a mess of downed trees right now, and demands a lot of over under and around tomfoolery. It can be a bit of a slow go for the first few miles. Eventually, we reached a pretty good snowpack, but decided to continue following the summer trail for as long as seemed reasonable, or to 3800ft. Around 3400ft, a set of boot prints headed straight uphill from a westward traverse. We took this as a sign that it was time to strap on the snowshoes and head up. Views continued to impress as we steadily gained elevation. Pyramid and Colonial to the south, and Davis peak to the west were particularly impressive. We stopped for a snack in the warm sun, and ogled the views before continuing up. We followed the ridge above Jeanita lake heading for the notch above sourdough creek (5500ft). This notch can be a little tricky to negotiate in the spring and summer, so I was anticipating some sketchiness. Turned out to be relatively easy - just semi-steep corniced sweep down and some steep snow on the upswing with two rocks barely exposed. Once we had gained Stetattle ridge proper, it was mostly flat open snowslopes, with some gentle rises and descents as we swung around to gain the NW ridge of pt. 6107. The views were 360 degrees of jawdropping mountain splendor, and we trudged on in a semi stupor, heads swiveling this way and that, trying to imprint this moment and all of it's sensations in our brains for a leisurely playback on some rainy bleak days in the weeks to come. Gaining the ridge involved a couple of short but steep, windswept steps with some exposed rock (avoidable). After, just some sweeping ups and downs to the highpoint. We enjoyed the windy summit for about 30 minutes before heading back down. We all dragged our feet, not wanting to leave this place, but the predicted weather that had been slowly creeping in from the west, was now steadily marching toward us, bringing the promise of precipitation in the form of dark clouds building. Other than a few comedic attempts to remain upright with snowshoes on while descending steep slopes (did we really go up this? It didn't seem that steep!), the only incident to report on the descent involved a slip on the slick bridge near the end of the trail, most likely resulting in a wicked discoloration of a butt cheek, and flying poles into the creek on either side, which needed rescuing. Mark happened upon this scene bewildered as to what was going on. dizzy.gif Arrived back at the trailhead at 4:45pm. After hike fuel was taken at the Marblemount Diner. The predicted rain hit around Rockport, and accompanied us all the way back to Seattle. Stats: 9hrs, 5200ft, ??miles
sourdough 4
sourdough 4
sourdough 5
sourdough 5
sourdough 3
sourdough 3
sourdough 7
sourdough 7
sourdough 9
sourdough 9
sourdough 8
sourdough 8
sourdough 12
sourdough 12
sourdough 1
sourdough 1
Edit to add short movie link: http://www.youtube.com/my_videos Don't know if this is working...

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 11:46 am 
Very nice. cool.gif

Knows literally nothing
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 11:48 am 
I am glad it cleared out for a great day!!! I like your new camera. Great shots! #7 is slobber.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 12:25 pm 
Awesome !

Living in the Anthropocene
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 1:03 pm 
Great trip. Glad you snuck in ahead of the weather. I'll bet the wind is really howling across the ridge today. Pics I like best are #9 (love the tracks on the narrow ridge), and #1 (is that a telephoto shot of Snowfield?). Nice compositions of clouds and peaks, too. Stetattle Ridge is probably my favorite winter trip. Once you're up on the high crest, it just rolls up and down over higher points and more views for as far as your legs can hold out (after the 5000 foot gain on the approach). And it looks different each time, depending how the wind has been blowing.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 1:20 pm 
Sourdough was an excellent winter destination. What a platform to behold the wonder that is the Pickets! Now I know what the buzz is about - I'm a believer. agree.gif The rapidly changing weather only reinforced my trust in NOAA forecasts. It was dumping buckets all the way home. Special thanks to Marianne, my aunt, for allowing us to use her place as basecamp! A lot of my pics are similar to dicey's - but here's a sample anyway: (Next time, I'll spell Laurie's name correctly doh.gif )
Pyramid in the Morning
Pyramid in the Morning
Ruby
Ruby
Jack
Jack
Dicey and Friends
Dicey and Friends
Eric with Diablo Backdrop
Eric with Diablo Backdrop
Lori Leads the Way
Lori Leads the Way
CruxMaster
CruxMaster
Me Want Hurt You  ::)
Me Want Hurt You smile.gif
Alien Invasion
Alien Invasion
Headin' Home
Headin' Home
Don't Wanna Leave
Don't Wanna Leave
Sourdough Summit Shot
Sourdough Summit Shot

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 1:29 pm 
Nice TR and I love the pictures! Sounds like an awesome trip up.gif hairy.gif 5200 ft. gain in the snow hairy.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 1:49 pm 
Mark, regarding a couple of your pictures. "Don't Want to Leave": Isn't that an awesome feeling as you head back down the ridge with Colonial/Snowfield standing up above Diablo Lake, towering higher and higher above you as you descend? "Me Want Hurt You": Is that Davis Peak? Another one I've wanted to try sometime, if I can ever work up my courage and ambition enough.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 1:59 pm 
I'll answer for Mark, since I suggested he label a pic of Davis peak in that menacing way. Yes, Davis peak. wink.gif 'don't want to leave' is my fav pic of the trip - Nice capture Mark! To answer your earlier Q Matt, Yes, #1 is a zoom of the snowfield group.

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 2:09 pm 
Oooooo... I've got to get up to Sourdough some time! So pretty! slobber.gif

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 2:12 pm 
"Don't Wanna Leave" - You know it, Matt! The payoff on Sourdough is so good it doesn't feel like work. I'm looking forward to visiting the area again - soon.

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 2:16 pm 
Dicey et al - Fantastico!!! Looks a lot different than when we did it last summer!!! Wonderful photos all. That's a good, stiff hike for a winter's outing!!! s.d.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
JimK

JimK
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 2:26 pm 
A whole lot of effort to get up that thing in February. Good going! Different and about 60 degrees cooler than when s.d. and I were up there.

silence

silence
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 4:35 pm 
Way to go guys! AWESOME.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Kathleen

Kathleen
PostMon Feb 19, 2007 4:43 pm 
I love the clouds in those pictures. Primarily the third picture in the first post.