Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > meniscus...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Feb 27, 2007 1:22 pm 
well, it looks like on my hike in the Alakai last month, when I slipped and caught myself from falling, that I tore my meniscus in my right knee. So it looks like surgery in April. Anyone had a meniscectomy? How long to recover? I'm supposed to go on a week long to Moore Point April 21st and wonder if I'll be well enough 3 weeks after surgery??? confused.gif confused.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostTue Feb 27, 2007 1:55 pm 
I'll admit (and my wife will confirm) that I'm a total wuss when it comes to sickness and pain, but there was no way I was ready for a week long anything three weeks after I had my last knee surgery.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Feb 27, 2007 2:20 pm 
I had knee surgery last Friday. Been hobbling all winter. Still hobbling... stay tuned. The good thing is I have plenty of time for NWhikers now.

The Tamster

The Tamster
PostTue Feb 27, 2007 3:36 pm 
I blew out my knee snowboarding 6 years ago- torn MCL, torn patellar tendon, and a meniscal tear. I had surgery to repair the tear only. Surgery ocurred on a Thursday, walking pain free by Monday and back to physical therapy the following week. I was cleared to resume all my pre-injury activities within 4 weeks of surgery. (I was out of commission from the other tears for 5 months before the surgery) Good Luck to you!

PostTue Feb 27, 2007 4:31 pm 
I've have had torn meniscus snipped away surgically twice. Walked from the car into the house without using crutches, immediately after one of the surgeries. Swelling was mostly down in 4 -5 days and was walking around with little problem (slight limp). I was stretching 1 - 2 days after surgery and was running in less than a month. I like exercise so I worked hard at all the stuff they had me do. I highly recommend having a spinal so you can watch the operation on the monitor. Good luck!

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostTue Feb 27, 2007 4:34 pm 
About 8 years ago, I was trying to keep up with the 16-year olds playing softball and tore the medial meniscus of my right knee. I had repair surgery a few weeks later where they sutured the meniscus back together. After that it was physical therapy twice a week for the next 8 weeks. While I was able to walk OK a few weeks into the PT, I thought that I would NEVER be able to run again! eek.gif There was always some pain or a weakness that I didn't have prior to the injury. Not that I'm a runner or anything, but it was disconcerting to have the feeling I was unable to do something I should be able to do. I took me fully a year to be able to run with some semblance of grace. bawl.gif My knee still occassionally give me fits when I climb steep slopes. It's not the meniscus again, but I have to wonder if the patellar tracking problems I have with it today are somehow related to the old injury? Doc can't say for sure. But then again, maybe I'm just a weenie. hockeygrin.gif

God, I am going to regret this someday!
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Feb 27, 2007 5:10 pm 
I shredded a bit of a meniscus on one knee hiking. I could barely walk. I had to have mine trimmed. It was worse waiting for the surgery than after the surgery. I think a week long hiking after 3 weeks is pushing it though. Do your PT exercises religiously and be glad its not a messed up ACL. My knees have never been the same since hitting my 50th birthday. THAT was a bad fall...from grace. Absolutley no knee pains or problems before 50 and constant pain and problems since....Not that its slowed me down at all.....Thats what Alleve and walking sticks are for..... bawl.gif

friluftsliv
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Feb 27, 2007 8:28 pm 
rat wrote:
I highly recommend having a spinal so you can watch the operation on the monitor.
I have mine on a VHS tape -- sweet! Now if only I had a TV, and a player. The whole experience was fun. Not as much fun as NWhikers but darn close.

M-Dart32

M-Dart32
PostTue Feb 27, 2007 9:07 pm 
As of now there are 3 things you have to look at for recovery, your age, your physical condition, and whether or not you overwork it after the surgery. Luckily I've never torn anything in my legs, except maybe a slight tear in my achilles, but I think it was just bad tendonitis, but through track and cross country, I've had my share of bumps and bruises, an inflamed IT band made me stop running entirely for about 2 weeks last year. I don't know how bad the tear is, but either way, even if you do manage to recover enough in 3 weeks, that trip won't do you any good. I'm not familiar with the hike, but I'm guessing theres downhill portions, and you're going to have weight on your back, so its probable that it could do damage. My suggestion is to take 3 weeks-1 month off and then start doing light body exercises; Prisoner squats, step ups, along with plenty of stretching. It's never fun to limit physical activity, but theres no point in jumping the gun if its going to reinjure you. Good luck with the surgery.

"Fortune favors the brave." Aeneid Virgil (70 BC - 19 BC)
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Feb 27, 2007 10:15 pm 
I had meniscus surgery on my left knee several years ago. Like others have said it was a very easy surgery with little pain afterwards. I was told to use crutches for the week afterward, but was walking without pain the next day. I"ve had similar experience that Hoosierdaddy has. After surgery and PT it was much better than before, but the tracking problems have persisted and my knee has never felt stable again. Many years of abuse to my knees at work have caught up with me I'm afraid. Using a treking pole has saved me numerous times and slowing down has helped, so I still manage to get in some hiking now and then. Going slower you do notice much more around you, so it's not all bad. Good luck with your knee, follow the PT program and you should be fine in 4-6 weeks.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostTue Feb 27, 2007 11:06 pm 
I had mine done at the end of '05 and was able to get out and have a VERY good year hiking last year....3 weeks though? You would be really pushing it...swelling after the surgery is to be avoided....Why do you have to wait until April? I would get it done as soon as possible... If you do the PT as they prescribe it will go much better and much faster....I may have to do something similar on my other knee soon, I'm seeing the doc next week. The good news is that in most cases (mine included) it is as good as new after the healing....I tested it harshly last year and it never gave me any trouble. Good Luck! PM me if I can help in any way! Or if you want to borrow the ankle weights that are needed for some of your PT

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Feb 27, 2007 11:37 pm 
Good advice from all. When you're in good shape going into it, the recovery is so much better. And hikers have awesome quads to start with!!! Another key factor is choosing a good surgeon and a good PT. Good luck and speedy recovery!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostThu Apr 19, 2007 11:24 pm 
Admin Note: The contents of this post were lost in a database crash.

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
banzaimf

banzaimf
PostFri Apr 20, 2007 12:04 am 
Admin Note: The contents of this post were lost in a database crash.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Apr 20, 2007 1:15 am 
I have not had my knees worked on, but my ankles a few times, and I would not plan on carrying a pack for a while. My last thing was a little surgery with two thin screws removed, and I could not really carry a pack all summer, and the surgery was in April. I did a few trips, but it wasn't til September before I wasn't hurting and could carry maybe 25 pounds. Your mileage may vary, but aim low.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods