Forum Index > Trail Talk > Question about lakes in the Olympics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Feb 27, 2007 11:28 pm 
Since my back yard has contained so many lakes, and I like to bag lakes I've stayed on this side (mostly) of the sate hiking wise. May I get some advice from those of you who've spent time bagging lakes in the Olympics? I'd like to spend some time in there this summer. Let me know what you think of the list I've come up with.... La Crosse/Hart/Marmot area Hagen/Scout Group of lakes that lay west side Mt. Ferry Mildred Flap Jacks High Divide lakes I'm sure there are many, but these looked good via Topo. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 28, 2007 12:11 am 
Thank you James. I guess now I need to locate the bloody trail heads!!!! doh.gif Hey Jim, what route into that LaCrosse basin are you using? Seems very long anyway that you go???

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Luc

Luc
PostWed Feb 28, 2007 9:49 am 
your list is pretty good but i'll just say which ones would be lower on my list IIWY.... High Divide Lakes, and Hagen Scout. Those are still really cool, but not the best in the park IMO. High Divide lakes are crowded and Hagen and Scout can be sort of boring if you don't have good weather. If you do Mildred - Flap in the same trip please do write a detailed report, i've been considering that ridge-hop for a decade. Also, the real gems - like the NC - are behind zipped lips.

GNGSTR
Phil

Phil
PostWed Feb 28, 2007 10:13 am 
Hagen lakes are beautiful ... a great area to pass through on your way to the interior lakes on your list. You would bag Lake of the Angels on the way, and Pond of the False Prophet. I have a trip report somewhere here from last June-July. Substantial snow slopes were there. Flapjacks and Mildred are classic trips and can be well-populated. Both trails are something of a grind, but then I always like the N Fork Skok trail for its big timber and river scenes. Lakes include spectacular scenery with the proximity to Sawtooth ridge. Going up to Flapjacks you could circle through other lakes around Gladys for a long day or backpack trip. The burly off-trail traveler can go down hammer creek and try to find remains of Mike Hammer's cabin near the N Fork Skok. How about: Royal Lake in Royal basin up the Dungeness drainage .... gorgeous! Go up and over the ridge east of Royal to bag Goat lake, return via Dungeness trail. If you have a few days follow Dungeness to end at Home lake. Six Ridge trail connecting N and S Fork Skok drainages has some amazing lakes. You could put together some awesome multi-day trips going lake to lake. With 3-4 days could place your feet in Wynoochee, Quinalt, N and S Fork drainages. In that same SE olympics region I've visited Wonder lakes a couple of times. Nice open campsites at the lake. Getting there involves punishing off-trail routes, but this places you on a high shelf overlooking the N Fork Skok drainage and its tributaries and over towards Sawtooth. Lots of opportunities for exploring. Pretty and isolated.

l

l
PostWed Feb 28, 2007 10:40 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Hey Jim, what route into that LaCrosse basin are you using? Seems very long anyway that you go???
You're right, BPJ. Of all the possible entries, the Duckabush is the one I wouldn't do. It's a long valley pound You could hike up the North Fork Skokomish, over First Divide, past Home Sweet Home and then onto LaCrosse Basin. Alot of up and down but very scenic. From the basin, hike down to the East Fork Quinault by any of three ways - the official trail via O'Neil Pass or two way trails that shorten mileage. All end up down at White Creek Meadows. Another possibilty is to start at the Dose, hike to/over Anderson Pass and then set up base camp at either the pass or White Creek Meadows. Both are worthy areas from where you can dayhike to Lacrosse Basin and Enchanted Valley. This plan mitigates the distance you must carry a backpack and doesn't require two vehicles since you can retrace your steps down the Dose.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 28, 2007 11:39 am 
Phil, Jim thank you. It's kind of frustrating. Using names you've suggested I've been trying to locate these areas using Topo. The names aren't on the map! It makes it very difficult to get a handle on what you're all talking about. I'll figure it out. Thanks again.

Canuck

Canuck
PostWed Feb 28, 2007 11:54 am 
I second (or third if I missed a post) Royal Lake and Royal Basin. You could do that as an overnighter or a leisurely 3-day trip. It's absolutely GORGEOUS, one of my all time favorite hikes. Fairly steep right before the lake, which normally wouldn't be bad but it's a steep mile at the end of a 7-mile moderately steep hike. I was tired, and it felt harder than it probably was. Never been to Mildred but it would be less populated than Flapjacks, since the trail is harder to follow, from what I've read. Flapjacks are very nice, however, and the walk up to Gladys is beautiful, looking at the backside of Cruiser & surrounding peaks right up close. They're RIGHT THERE. It looks like you could just hop over & climb up them in an hour. I know better (although I don't rock climb!). Lena Lake is not that exciting, but Upper Lena is. Would make for a nice overnighter.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 28, 2007 12:31 pm 
Canuck, what is is about that Royal lake area? From the Topo it doesnt look like much. Do you spend time up in the basin climbing around? Looks like you could look down into Deception basin too.

Canuck

Canuck
PostWed Feb 28, 2007 1:00 pm 
You hike to the lower basin at about 6 miles. It's pretty but there aren't any views (at least not when I was there - we were socked in). Then you do the last steep mile to the lake. It's small, but with all the peaks around it, it's gorgeous. From there you can set up your camp and then hike up about another mile to the upper basin, and just wander around. While I haven't done it, you can apparently hop over the ridge and explore more off-trail if you're willing. Just to the west (?) of the lake is a nice waterfall. We saw lots of deer there, too. The area around the lake was very lush -- but that could have been the torrential downpour I was in while there. dizzy.gif I can't say exactly what it is about the Royal Basin area. I know on the map it doesn't look like much, but it's really beautiful. I can load up my photos when I get home, if they're still on the computer, but in the meantime I found this website that has some nice shots from the upper basin. Scroll to the bottom, and then on to page 2: Upper Royal Basin

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostWed Feb 28, 2007 1:16 pm 
Hart Lake appears on the cover of one of my Olympic hiking guides, and that picture has made me want to get the very badly. I too spend more time in the Cascades than the Olympics, simply because the hassle/time of the ferry or drive around. I should just bite the bullet, and get over there more often. --Gray

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostWed Feb 28, 2007 6:51 pm 
I've visited the lowest lake comprising Mildred Lakes and it's nestled in a pretty dense forest of trees. You'll definitely need to do some bushwhacking to access the lower lake via the Mildred Lakes Trail. I'm not sure if you intend to travel that way but if you do it's something to keep in mind. Another lake I would tag to your list would be Lake of the Angels. A visit in Autumn is definitely worth the trip and can be completed as a day hike up.gif

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostWed Feb 28, 2007 9:26 pm 
Oly lakes
Lake of the Angels...it is fairly quick and fairly tiring. There were lots of goats; easy access to some walk up summits. Great flowers, even in August. Upper Lena is one of my fav's. You can base camp or go on to other places from there. The routes and way trails are described in Woods' guide book of the Olys. From Upper Lena, there is easy access to a nearby summit...just take the trail up and cross meadows and easy scrambles to a view of The Brothers that is striking...and great back country views of Olys. Hart Lake is very nice; there is a smaller lake beyond for loners to camp. It has a splendid meadow and some routes to scramble, too! Home Lake is a challenge to reach and some spectacular scenery to glory! Sunset lights the towering rock walls and summits, a show well worth experiencing. I have gone to this lake via every route. The toughest is the best....it takes you high and delivers a ridge walk in spectacular meadows that Sound of Music would have to go back to school to learn! Mildred Lakes is tough in places. Don't bother taking the dog...anyway, can't when you cross into the Park....however, it is not too many hours and you are there. The lower (first) lake sucks; the upper is lovely but the ground is beaten to a pulp, unless restoration has been ongoing. The wall of Cruiser and Sawtooths is terrific....great place to take reflection shots. You want a challenge? Lake Beauty. I'd suggest access via Low Divide. Approaching it the classic route is long and exhausting...but well worth the effort...it is a 6 day trip...I took 7...had 2 rainy days, both at Low Divide. That place is wonderful for a rainy day. Base at Low Divide and travel to nearby lakes...there is a wealth of gorgeous places to see thereabouts. It is wild, exciting and, entirely too many other hikers. Lena Lake...that is for Coleman Stove crowd. It has a feel of a place all used up. Shoud not, but it must be the giant rocks and dull color of the same rock. The trail to base of The Brothers has a creepy feeling to it (it's supposed to). Then, there are all the other lakes mentioned by others in the thread. There is a sneaky lake just off trail to Mt. Townsend (Silver, I think). Off LaCrosse Pass is a hanging lake I never did reach. It is popular with fishermen; must have a nice view from the inlet side across water. Royal Basin is superb.

Phil

Phil
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 9:23 pm 
Gray wrote:
I too spend more time in the Cascades than the Olympics, simply because the hassle/time of the ferry or drive around. I should just bite the bullet, and get over there more often.
It's funny, 95% of my hikes are in the Olys and I live in Shoreline so am basically right on HWY 2, with I-90 not much farther. Thing is, Olys are so much more remote, pristine, lonely, and while the travel time is greater .... I think it is worth it. Now, I have this internal debate about travel time and Olys-vs-Cascades each year as I plan hikes, so I don't want to come across as dead certain in my thinking. But every year, I'm back at Olys every chance I get, even though I promise myself to check out HWY 2 and mt loop hwy each year. For me, it's 2.25 to 2.5 hours to Skokomish rivers, hammah hamma, duckabush, dungeness, elwha river hikes. I start very early and hike fast and far, so I rarely see anyone on Oly hikes. The places I want to see off 2 or I-90 are more like 1.5 to 2.5 hours, really just a bit less travel time and IMO the hiking experience is not as good in terms of natural beauty and certainly solitude.

Phil

Phil
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 9:25 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Canuck, what is is about that Royal lake area? From the Topo it doesnt look like much. Do you spend time up in the basin climbing around? Looks like you could look down into Deception basin too.
I would say it is a classic destination, the scenery, climbing routes, etc. Classic also comes with crowds .... don't be surprised to see a scout troop up there.

Phil

Phil
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 9:28 pm 
Sabahsboy wrote:
There is a sneaky lake just off trail to Mt. Townsend (Silver, I think).
Ah, good rec. Silver is a great destination as it is just beyond the traditional dayhiking crowd and central to some cool explorations in any direction. For example, aim south up the ridge and then west to Tull canyon to check out the old bomber crash site. Nice campsites at Silver, too.