Forum Index > Gear Talk > Keen Targhee II eVENT Mid hiking boot opinons?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 3:07 pm 
I have tried the search function and can't find anything, so I will take a chance on incurring the slings and arrows for asking..... Has anyone tried the KeenTarghee hiking BOOT, AS A DAY HIKER, which is supposedly "waterproof", and has a wide toe box, which is especially appealing to me. Everyone seems to like the Keen sandals, which I have and like, but other than some reviews on zappos, it hard to find opinions on their new hiking boots. Background: I have impossible to fit feet it seems. It usually takes me a couple of years and a few mountains of boots at a bunch of stores to find a halfway useable pair of boots, and the Raichles are wearing out that I bought on sale at Marmot, which were of course on sale for being discontinued. They work out quickly and never provided much sole padding (using SuperFeet) even when new. EVERYONE I hike with wears Montrails, but Montrails just don't fit my feet. bawl.gif I would be interested in other suggestions...although the Limmers don't do it for me either, for my WIDE, NO-arch, high volume, almost size 11 with hiking socks(dependent on brand), modest heel size, basically overinflated Duck feet. And I am NOT a lightweight, averaging about 195pounds before gearing up. I would prefer something lightweight with good grip on slick stuff. I ONLY do day hikes, but hike in most weather, and my range tends to be in the 10-15 mile range for most hikes. and I NEED some ankle support. My ankles were damaged beyond full recovery a few decades ago. Wait a second, while I put on my kevlar suit....OK.....any opinions? Thanks! confused.gif

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 3:48 pm 
I bought a pair of boots today and I looked at the Keen's although I don't think they were the exact same model you mentioned. I rejected them because there was no stiffness in the sole - they were very pliable like a regular pair of sneakers and I dismissed them as a 'fashion' shoe. I have a similar problem - I have wide, flat 'duck feet'. I had a terrible time buying 'real' leather boots the first time because I can't stand the feeling of a built in arch. It wasn't until I discovered that Dannner boots had a removable insole that completely eliminated the arch. I replaced it with a completely flat insole and I've have no blisters or other foot soreness issues in 7+ years. I have a follow-up question which hopefully won't take away from yours and that has to do with non-existent arches. The salesperson was horrified to learn that I hiked in boots without an arch and thought I would be doing long term damage to my knees. I hike without pain now except for a temporary feeling on steep descents, however is there another flat footed hiker out there with more 'life experience' who would care to comment?

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 4:08 pm 
here comes ole flatfoot....
I have yet to see the Keens in person. (hoping to combine 20% discount with my rebate to buy) They claim to have a nylon shank, so I was hoping they might be a "real" albeit only "day" hiker. I don't mind flex, as long as they have halfway decent torsional rigidity, which my Raichles do have. I have NO arch, but I NEED to have some arch support in my footwear. As it is, after a really long hike I get some pretty good muscle spasms in my arch area. (and yes I do post-hike foot massage). I also have been told and find that no arch support lets your foot roll in to far which really stresses the knee(and ankles). Superfeet insoles have about the right amount of "anti-roll" arch for me. How old are you? I got away with poor arch support and flat insoles in shoes until I was 50, then it all went to 'ell in a handbasket almost overnight, catching up with all those years of neglect.

friluftsliv
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 4:53 pm 
I'm still in my 30's so your comment is rather sobering. What's the solution? Custom orthotics?

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 5:22 pm 
Super Feet insoles!!! (or equal quality) Wish I had put them in long ago! I also wish I had used dual hiking sticks BEFORE my knees went south. There is still hope....for you.

friluftsliv
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 7:03 pm 
The guy at the store was pushing Super Feet insoles as well. I tried them on (a green pair) and the built in arch was very uncomfortable. I have been perusing their website and I see they have multiple styles - the green one is recommended for 'medium to high arched feet' which obviously I don't have. Sorry for the thread hijack - but your input is really appreciated BTW - which colour/style do you use now?

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 9:03 pm 
insoles and Garmonts
no problem on the hijack. cool.gif Its good info being shared...thats the important point! I have the green SuperFeet insoles. I was told (as with any orthotics also...or boots in general, probably) that you need to GRADUALLY get used to the insoles. Wear the boots "around town" for gradual increasing periods of time, or start with a short hike and work up in length. STARTING right off with a 12 mile hike and your muscles are going to be all messed up trying to compensate. I picked up some other insoles at I think it was The Walking Company or something like that at the local mall when I picked up my Ecco walking/office shoes(REALLY comfortable REALLY fast wearing shoes). Its their "store brand". Can't remember the name but they were softer and even "lumpier" and more expensive than the SuperFeet. "Softer" was nice, but I am not sure the price or other lumps were justified. I wish the SuperFeet had more padding....or I need to find a boot with more cushioning. My Raichles seem to have NO padding on the ball of the foot. Someone recommended Garmont boots for having more width in the toe box. I will be checking those out also. I have one glowing recommendation for the Garmonts for "duck feet".... any other opinions on those? It seems like most of the boots out there are made on European lasts and tend towards skinny in the toe box. Maybe I spent too much time in my hippie youth days and spread my feet out too much hiking barefoot....Seems like another lifetime...but I am still paying for it...

friluftsliv
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostThu Mar 01, 2007 10:01 pm 
Quote:
Someone recommended Garmont boots for having more width in the toe box. I will be checking those out also. I have one glowing recommendation for the Garmonts for "duck feet".... any other opinions on those?
Interesting...I bought a pair of light hikers today to compliment my all leather Danners. I tried on a lot of different pairs - the best fit - aside from the removable insole - were a pair of Garmonts!

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostFri Mar 02, 2007 9:24 am 
Boot Up, you do not have impossible feet to fit although you may have been dealing with ignorant sales people. Sounds like you need to go to a store that is certified for the Phil Oren Fit System. REI in Seattle is listed as a certified site, but you would probably need to make an appointment with Pete or another qualified sales person who has been trained in the system. One has to ask for a Phil Oren Fit System Fit. There are so many factors to ensure comfort and foot stabilization that go into a perfect fit from the Phil Oren System and the fit does not cost anything extra although custom foot beds, tongue depressors, proper sock selections, lacing techniques, and boot modifications (with the properly selected volume boot) can adjust the price. Then again it is a perfect fit.

BarbE

BarbE
PostFri Mar 02, 2007 11:28 am 
I bought a pair of KeenTargheeMid about four weeks ago and wore them on my first hike up Dirty Harry's off I-90. The trail was mostly slick rocks with snow and water- like walking up a creek bed. The Keens felt great, my feet stayed completely dry, and I had plenty of ankle support, plus I love the spacious toebox. However I'm used to hiking and light backpacking with trailrunners and I have no foot problems other than somewhat wide feet. These Keens are so comfortable and light I even wore them on a run. They're definitely a keeper.

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri Mar 02, 2007 12:53 pm 
I think the Keens should be fine as day-hikers. I don't have that model, but both Keens I have are extremely comfortable. My feet are weird shaped, wide closer to the heel and pointed, but I have good arches! clown.gif I use Superfeet in my backpacking boots, and although they fit well I wish they were a little softer, also.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Coasty
I like Salmon!

Coasty
I like Salmon!
PostFri Mar 02, 2007 3:44 pm 
I use the blue superfeet insoles and they have made a world of difference. The greens have too much arch support. Hope that helps a bit Jason

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Mar 02, 2007 5:09 pm 
I have worn these around for 3 or 4 years. http://www.birkenstockexpress.com/Products/Style.cfm/collection.Footprints/style.Rockford/id.020320071604-272022 I see they've gone up a lot in price. They have lots of room in the toe area and might work for flat feet. I have the opposite problem so must insert higher arch supports in them. They have been waterproof...I wore them everyday when I worked on flat ground and working on the Oregon Coast. Mine are now sitting out in the garage though. I wore them on a backpack trip down into the bottom of the Grand Canyon and back up, and either my foot changed shape or the boot did. But, they were quite old at that point. I might go try them out again, when the hills thaw out a bit. Good luck. I might be searching for hiking boots also if the birkies don't fit anymore.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
jabenoi
NW Hiker

jabenoi
NW Hiker
PostSun Mar 04, 2007 10:24 am 
Asolo tps 520, these boots are amazing and they do come in a wide and as a employee with the largest outfitter out there I would only where Asolo's now after getting the ones i have and I literally take phone orders and handle 100's of customer service issues and I've heard nothing but great things about ASOLO. http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47595279&parent_category_rn=4501274&vcat=searchrefine

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be." Author Unknown
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Mar 04, 2007 9:01 pm 
Garmont Flash II XCR
And the winner(for ME) is...... The Garmont Flash II XCR, and a big thank you for the person that brought the Garmonts to my attention! http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=47995987&parent_category_rn=4501275&vcat=REI_SEARCH Saturday I did a 12 mile hike weaving together the trails on Cougar mountain, dodging the hordes of yuppie joggers feeling like we were the only people in that place that weren't equipped only with underwear and slippers on the drizzly foggy cloudy cold muddy day. My Raichles were really proving they were worn out by the end of the day, taking their toll on my feet. So I went in to REI Sunday, armed with my rebate and a potential 20% discount...giving incentive to buy something there that day. Some interesting specs on the 3 boots I was considering..... Asolo TPS 520 GTX, waterproof, 3.8 pounds, $215 Garmont Flash II XCR,waterproof, 2.3 pounds, $130 Keen Targhee II Mid Event waterproof, 2.2 pounds, $120 Thats a heck of a lot of weight difference to be lifting a few thousand times a hike for the Asolos, just for a dayhiker, where people sprint by in running shoes....even in the mountains. Asolos are getting pretty pricey too, which is not necessarily a show stopper for me but weighs into the decision. REI for unknown reasons only carries up to a size 10 in the Mid Keens, and the sales guy had no idea if or when they would get them in a larger sizes. I needed AT LEAST a 12 in the Keens since their sizes are at least a size smaller than everyone else. I tried on the Keen low tops and compared them to the Garmonts mid-tops. I would say its VERY close between those two model options for all of us "widetrackers" with our "Duck Feet". Try em' both definitely. For ME, I liked the FEEL of the Garmonts a tiny bit better than the Keens, but the Keens were pretty nice.(Keens felt "lumpier" under my feet) The REI sales guy seemed to know his stuff and felt the forefoot padding in the Garmonts would hold up better IN THE LONG RUN due to choice of materials. Garmonts are theoretically resolable if you catch them in time. Sales guy says he owns and has been wearing the Garmonts himself, which is usually a good sign. He said the only problem for him was they were a bit wide in the forefoot.......Bad for him, GREAT for me. I did put green SuperFeet in the Garmonts, which actually made a big difference too. Of course I need to wear them around a bit then put them to test on a real hike to be sure. An Aside....and I may be almost as excited about the sock purchase I made at the same time. I have been curious about the individual toe type liner socks. I picked up some injinji outdoor Tetrasocks and WOW they seem comfy! Just wearing them around today in the boots. The really lock into place, and keep the toes from attacking each other. I can't wait to try them on a hike. I wear double layer of socks for hiking and I will continue to do that with these. Thanks for all the input from everyone. It was all VERY helpful!

friluftsliv