Forum Index > Pacific NW History > PCT History
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostSun Mar 04, 2007 12:05 am 
Saw this marker near Snowshoe Butte. Seems pretty old to me (older than others I have seen) and was wondering if anyone could place a date on it.
Picture 010
Picture 010

Life is short, hike hard...
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Mar 04, 2007 12:53 am 
Wierd. Looks like the tree bark never grew around it. No pry marks, either. It does look like an older one than the triangle ones you see on occasion, doesn't it? I wonder if it's one of the earliest, when they started re-vamping the CCT to PCT standards. Dunno when the designation took place or what year they started re-vamping the trail system (too late tonight to start looking it up), but it was officially official in (1971? 72?) On the other hand, I have a 60's map that names "Pacific Crest Trail" where you'd think it'd read "Cascade Crest Trail." I just discovered it today and am mystified. It re-piqued my interest, so I'm glad you posted this for me. biggrin.gif I can't wait to find out more. I love old stuff like the CCT & the PCT.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Mar 04, 2007 10:09 pm 
I badly wanted to peel one of the shiny new ones off a tree near Snoqualmie Pass. Anybody know where I could buy one?

Logbear

Logbear
PostSun Mar 04, 2007 11:25 pm 
I found this article that mentions the diamond shaped trail markers in 1937. http://www.nps.gov/archive/crla/notes/vol26j.htm

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Mar 05, 2007 2:12 pm 
I found a blurb on the Forest Svc website that discusses the history of the trail; it had been in the works since the 1930's, and it designated as a National Scenic Trail in 1968. Here's the link The official designation in 1968 was the confusing thing for me; I knew the route had been a dotted line trail, made up of already existing trails like the CCT, but didn't know it was always referred to as the Pacific Crest trail. Our CCT was re-named as a result. I bet locals hated that. This explains my old map with "Pacific Crest Trail" named on it.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting

PostMon Mar 05, 2007 8:01 pm 
Thanks Quark. According to this site, all of the diamond shape markers were in place by 1937. Guess the one I saw is at least that old. http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:8eD6v91gZa4J:www.nps.gov/archive/crla/notes/vol26j.htm+pacific+crest+original+trail+markers&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us Also came across a site that said there were few old ones left as hikers like to steal them. http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:e_ZUC8J7mcYJ:www.easterntrail.org/lib/blazes.pdf+pacific+crest+old+trail+markers&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=25&gl=us

Life is short, hike hard...
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostMon Mar 05, 2007 9:08 pm 
The section from I90 to Nachess pass is littered with dozens of the ol' diamond ones. Some are hardly visible, with the rust and tree growing around it. I too was tempted to pry one...theyre just so interesting and authentic, but Jiminy taught me otherwise. On a side note that section friggin sucks. Bland, bland, bland...with the occasional van of mexicans blaring salsa and fourwheelin the FS roads. I can't convey how excited I was to finally reach a Wilderness area again after two and a half days of that BLM/DNR checkerboard blah.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 12:21 am 
They used to say Cascade Crest. Still a few of those signs up there surrounded with tree bark .

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 10:34 pm 
I pulled out the old USGS last night - 1965, surveyed in 1950 - the trail on the west side of Glacier Peak is titled "Pacific Crest Trail." The zillions of switchbacks across from Mica Lk that is the modern PCT weren't built yet - the Pacific Crest Trail was the Milk Creek Trail, down to the Suiattle (the Road and parking lot was right there on the other side of the bridge). It then continued on the Suiattle River Trail. I'm going to check my other old USGS topo maps.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 11:52 pm 
Dan, sir wrote:
I'd like to get a shiny new I-5 sign. I was gonna rip one off the freeway overpass. Know where I could buy one?
No need to be smartypants. I just thought it was cool. I'll put it right next to my 'NPS boundary' sign that I found next to a tree. And if they had an 'Edgar Martinez Way' street sign available, I'd buy that, too. moon.gif

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 7:04 am 
Quark wrote:
old USGS - 1965 - the trail on the west side of Glacier Peak is titled "Pacific Crest Trail."
What year was the map purchased, if you know, and have any names been updated? I backpacked it about '67 and we called it the CCT.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Mar 08, 2007 5:42 pm 
Snowbrushy, the map is dated 1965 based on USGS-survey dated 1950. I have other maps that refer to it as the CCT, but this is the first map I have seen that's from the 1960's that refers to it as PCT. I was tremendously confused and a little freaked when I saw PCT named on the 1965 map; as a matter of fact, I saw it last Saturday night while looking for my Mt Higgins map. I tossed and turned all night, wondering about the old map naming the PCT & was a bit groggy Sunday when I woke up to go bag Higgins. Of course it was 5:00 AM, but.... Never found my current Higgins, but found one from 1950 (I got a bunch of old USGS from Lookout Sue and Lookout Bob). So when we got to the trailhead, someone asked me (the trip was my idea), "hey, Quark, what's the elevation of the trailhead?" and all I could refer to was the 1950 map showing the TH at Hwy 530. "uh....sea level?" says I.... Within mere moments, there was a coup and I was overthrown. Some leader. shakehead.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Mar 08, 2007 9:04 pm 
It was still referred to as the CCT when I was a kid in the '70s. Maybe we misspoke, but that's what it was called.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Mar 08, 2007 9:11 pm 
Yeah, I posted a link on the previous page that said the PCT is comprised of many local trails including the CCT of Washington state. The CCT was always the CCT, but in general the whole series of trails as a through route was referred to as the PCT before the PCT was designated as a National Scenic Trail. But I've not seen it as the PCT on old maps pre-designation, so it's odd to see it as the PCT on this map I have - pre-designation.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Mar 09, 2007 3:25 pm 
What I recall is this: One day I was hiking and I came across a (new) metal sign on a tree that said PCT Trail System. And I thought to myself that it was cool that the powers that be had finally made a continous trail along the range, and I also lamented the loss of the old CCT name. I trekked on thinking about 'changes' thru a land that is timeless.