Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lake Serene-ish 3.4.2007
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Mar 04, 2007 10:15 pm 
First off let me say I went beyond my comfort zone on this one, I should not have gone here, at least not today. Due to miscommunications I ended up heading down Hwy2 with no particular destination in mind. I wanted to get out somewhere but couldn't think what else I hadn't done within a reasonable drive. I ended up turning off to the Lake Serene trailhead since I hadn't been up there in nigh until three years. The trail was more or less as I remembered it - rocky, mossy, and eroded. There was a layer of thin slushy snow over the roadway that made walking in a straight line difficult. I picked my way carefully over the few creek crossings and here the snow was more hard-pack to make for easier walking. I could see fresh boot prints ahead of me which helped me avoid the post-hole traps between stairs and rocks. So many blow downs! I lost count of how many. Many small ones, little ankle-biter trees to step over, and an equal number of large ones to climb over, around, and through. Several could be rolled off the trail with a few people and some leverage but a few will need to be sawed. One fell lengthwise along the trail about half way up. Another frightening one is a large stump that uprooted and fell over, dangling over the trail suspended by one of its large roots. Nearing the lake, but still in the trees, I encountered the two others heading down. I asked them how the open slope was. They told me fine, just put on snowshoes. They'd followed tracks across and now there was a packed trail. I bid them good-day and put on my snowshoes, walking to the edge of the trees. I'd checked the forecast for today, and had an idea what to expect, but I still wanted to be sure. I found a safe spot and dug a test pit, finding the slide point. It was very difficult to make anything slide. I also couldn't see anything overhanging the slope, no snow bombs on the trees, and the snow was quite compacted. I went for it, and made it across. It's been some time since I was here, so I thought that was the worst of it. Not. The next section was shorter, but at a higher angle. I didn't want to chance that, so I headed straight up-slope in the trees. I popped out in a field of big rocks with an excellent view of Index and a peek-a-boo view of Serene. Right then the clouds parted and the sun broke through - and started shining right on the slope. Then it hit me - what am I doing up here? I'd consider myself a pretty conservative hiker, especially regarding avy danger, but here I was up by Index and now I had to cross back over a long open slope in the bright warm sun. After berating myself a bit for this moment of horrendous judgement I backtracked down and gingerly made my way across the slope again before things destabilized. It didn't help anything that I'd started reading "White Cascade" the night before. By the time I crossed back my legs were noodles. I stopped in the trees and ate my sandwich for some energy - I dont think I even tasted it. Now I was full of nervous energy and I made quick time down even with the slick conditions. I ran into several others, none well equipped or with snowshoes, and I gave them some info, implying that it would be best to not continue on. Before I knew it I was at the fall junction. I still had too much nervous energy so I hoofed it up to the falls to burn some off. With such warm temperatures I'd expected them to be bigger but they were still pretty. Descending back I saw a dirty brown track, fairly wide, across my boot prints. While I was admiring the falls a large rock had slid down and across the trail. Something doesn't want me on this mountain. paranoid.gif So. I hesitated to post the details of this trip. I'm sure many are reading shaking their heads. It was certainly a lapse in judgement on my part. Was it safe to cross or not? I guess I'll never know. All I can say is I got a bad feeling about it, and eventually came to my senses - better late than never.
Shaky bridge
Shaky bridge
Icicles
Icicles
Ferns
Ferns
Hanging stump
Hanging stump
Index
Index
Turning back
Turning back
The falls
The falls
Hiding mushroom
Hiding mushroom
Heybrook ridge (?)
Heybrook ridge (?)
Lake Serene-ish trip photos

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Mar 04, 2007 10:56 pm 
You have to go with your head AND your gut...you did both. Glad you had a safe and interesting trip. Thanks for reminding us all to be careful out there!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
touron

touron
PostSun Mar 04, 2007 11:34 pm 
I like the mushroom shot! up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun Mar 04, 2007 11:38 pm 
Excellent report & great choices Opus! Glad you had a safe outing. Sharing your scenario, circumstances and reasoning is great food for thought for anyone contemplating a winter outing. People of all skill levels make poor judgements because they may be too focused on destination-bagging or refuse to accurately read (or simply ignore) the facts of the current conditions. Earlier this year I visited this same trail (for my first time) on a solo trip and went up toward the falls at the junction. I had some concerns about crossing that open slope (where your rock fell I assume) but did it anyway. A short while later there was a short switchback and I thought that the trail was going to cross it once again. After considering my situation, I retreated and turned around. After crossing the slope on the return trip I paused again to deliberate - realizing that I was probably being ultra-conservative in my decision to turn around. The falls had to be just minutes away and the slope really wasn't in any condition to slide (near as I could tell anyway - this was a week before my first avalanche class). I took a couple mintues to consider if I was too focused on reaching the destination and was ignoring the real conditions. Finally I reconsidered my retreat and turned around for the second time. dizzy.gif I was simply being too conservative. When I reached my original turn around point it became clear that the trail didn't cross the slope like I expected and minutes later I was at the falls. doh.gif An uneventful return trip. My trip report excluded this internal drama I experienced but I'm glad you provided a good opportunity for me to share my thought process in a similar situation. Happy Trails ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun Mar 04, 2007 11:40 pm 
PS - nice Fern shot!

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostMon Mar 05, 2007 10:57 am 
Well I for one am glad that you posted this report, it reminds me/us to "stop and think" ....sometimes I do very little of the "thinking" while I'm slogging.....I may be thinking up a storm, but I'm miles away from where I actually am physically. hmmm.gif I was in the the Lake Serene parking lot Sunday too, and decided not to go up the trail. It would have been nice to say "hi" winksmile.gif oh well!

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~