Forum Index > Food & Grub > Backpacking meals that dont require cooking?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 2:26 pm 
I'm leaning toward a new strategy when backpacking. I have always cooked breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But lately, i have found that stopping to cook a lunch often requires to much time and precious daylight, especially when hiking from camp A to camp B. I would like to hear some of your ideas for meals that don't require any cooking. I'm having trouble coming up with anything other than nuts, and granola/energy bars. Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 2:29 pm 
Dani and I like the various tuna or salmon packets. They aren't especially light weight food though.

Knows literally nothing
Andrew

Andrew
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 2:31 pm 
You prepared three meals a day while backpacking? I may have to get out with you this year. I've always had breakfast and dinner with a bunch of snacks in between.

strider

strider
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 2:38 pm 
Hard sausage (salami, summer sausage, etc), good cheese (Tillamook Sharp Cheddar is my personal fav) and crackers. If you want to toss a hoagie roll in the pack (sourdough hoagies keep well) and some packets of condiments, you can make a full blown sandwich with the fixin's above. Make the sammie up at B-fast and drop it in a zippie. A nice bagel, and a packet of cream cheeze. Add a couple handfuls of dried fruit chunks (pineapple or mango are my usual choices) to any of the above, and I'm good to go. For a super quick lunch, a can of kippered fish on crackers is mighty fine and mighty fast. Yah, you have the can to deal with afterwards, but this is a very hi-energy meal. Perfect for that 10 minute lunch in inclement weather. I usually carry one or two cans as emergency food - one can will carry ya a long ways if things go awry....

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 2:43 pm 
Here's a thread I started last fall which has some ideas: No-cook backpacking

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 2:43 pm 
Packaged tuna, chicken, and salmon are quite good. up.gif I usually bring them along and roll it up in a tortilla with other things. A pouch of tuna, tortilla, packet of mayo, packet of relish (swiped from 7-11) and you've got a tuna salad sandwich. On one night trips I sometimes make a sandwich to bring along for lunch. Delis sell single-serving tube of cream cheese, add that to a bagel with some smoked salmon, very tasty. Oh yeah, and hummus mix!

LizzyBob

LizzyBob
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 2:45 pm 
strider wrote:
Hard sausage (salami, summer sausage, etc), good cheese (Tillamook Sharp Cheddar is my personal fav) and crackers.
up.gif Precisely what we do for lunch! Yum! Then there's a luscious peanut butter and pickle sandwich on day one of every trip.

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend my arse. A girl's best friend is a stout pair of tramping boots. Umm, maybe it's a nice reduction sauce. Urrr, perhaps it's a nice pub just down the road. OK, so it's really all three. But freakin' diamonds?!"
M-Dart32

M-Dart32
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 4:44 pm 
Summer Sausage (seems to be a favorite here), and goldfish always work out well. I like to buy the gatorade powder too instead of buying individual bottles. Some dry lucky charms always make a good breakfast.

"Fortune favors the brave." Aeneid Virgil (70 BC - 19 BC)
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 7:15 pm 
I am a grazer all day, and quite often only prepare dinner. Works well! Lost to do that doesn't require cooking smile.gif You can even make a number of "salads" for lunch (cous cous and pasta ones) that just take cold water and a sit in your pack for 30 minutes.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 9:04 pm 
Beef jerky, and a whole fresh tomato with a little salt sprinkled on it, and I also like the little cans of fishies.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 9:15 pm 
LizzyBob wrote:
luscious peanut butter and pickle sandwich on day one of every trip.
Peanut butter, bread n'butter pickle slices. Dark sweet bread. up.gif & Yah, what Opus said. Smoked salmon, na'an bread, babaganouj or pre-made hummous in a squeeze tube or baggie, cheese. Heck you'd be eatin' like a king.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 11:15 pm 
Peanut butter on a cinnamon and raisin bagel. Yum. Sticks to yer ribs all day. And you can stuff it, cram it, pack it any way you want and it always comes out the same.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 12:38 am 
I was going to pipe up, but you people know what you are doing. up.gif Carry on. Edit: Uh, no one has mentioned PB and bacon? wazzup.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
runnerodb83

runnerodb83
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 2:58 am 
Well if its only a day or two, you will probably do fine with some dried fruit, beef jerky, and some hearty granola bars or shredded wheat. If you really want a carb boost and don't care that much about taste, take some uncooked pasta and chew carefully. It's not the best, but its easy, has a punch, and takes up very little room. I would think angel hair pasta is the easiest on the mouth. The only downside to all of the above is that its not a hot meal, likely to leave you wanting more, and make you thirsty with all the sugar in the fruit and sodium in the jerky. But its light packing! And I'll stress, don't live off that for more than a weekend worth of hiking, either you'll get sick or your taste buds will rebel! wink.gif

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 4:12 am 
MREs

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin