Forum Index > Gear Talk > GPS
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
blindie

blindie
PostWed Apr 23, 2003 10:41 pm 
Anyone have recommendations on a good GPS? I'm looking to capture data like route and altitude of where I've been. I also want to be able to note with it the spots I take pictures. I would like to import this data into the photos and also Illustrator or Photoshop so I can make cool maps that have links to show the photos I've taken. I'm not afraid of manual data entry but automation will save time.

Blindie
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 23, 2003 10:47 pm 
I would recommend the Magellan SporTrak series. I've found they track much better than the Garmin eTrex units under tree cover (really there is no comparison). You can get the SporTrak Map for $116 (after $50 magellan rebate) at Planet GPS (among other online vendors). If you have an extra $100 to spend, I would spring for the SporTrak Pro (which has more memory than the SporTrak Map) & MapSend Topo CD (which allows you to upload topo lines to your unit). Cost at Planet GPS for the SporTrak Pro & MapSend Topo is $216 (after $75 magellan rebate).

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 23, 2003 11:15 pm 
You can not really beat the SporTrak series for price. I have the Garmin GPS76Map which receives better than the eTrak series under trees. I use this because the maps are somewhat better and more available free from Kazza. This and the GPSV also work well in cars. The maps in any GPS are of the 100K series and are less detailed than the USGS maps you are used to. Topo! has better maps but you cannot load into a gps, but you can download info waypoints and tracks from GPS once you get home. If you use OziExplorer you can even imbed pictures into a downloaded USGS map.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
blindie

blindie
PostWed Apr 23, 2003 11:27 pm 
I just read the SporTrak manual and it says it can upload back to a PC. There isn't any more information then this. Anyone know the details on how useable the uploaded data is? What format does it use? Is it usable beyond the supplied software?

Blindie
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 11:49 am 
Almost all GPS units allow you to upload/download routes & waypoints to/from a PC and will interface with popular mapping software like Topo! In order to upload maps to your GPS unit, you need to purchase the MapSend software. For your stated purposes I don't think you'll need this.