Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wolves need our help NOW!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 pm 
Friday, September 1, 2017 16:40 PDT WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM Gray Wolf Update A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website HERE. -WDFW-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 07, 2017 5:09 pm 
Thursday September 07, 2017 16:46 PDT WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM Gray Wolf Update A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website here. -WDFW-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 08, 2017 3:08 pm 
Friday September 08, 2017 14:52 PDT WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM Gray Wolf Update A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website here. -WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 14, 2017 5:15 pm 
Thursday September 14, 2017 16:11 PDT WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM Gray Wolf Update A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website here. -WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 8:57 am 
Friday September 15, 2017 16:29 PDT WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM Gray Wolf Update A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website here. -WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 16, 2017 9:02 am 
WDFW, in its most recent wolf update of 09/15/17 wrote:
The department has not documented any depredations by the Sherman pack since the evaluation period started. (The last known wolf depredation was August 28.) The evaluation period is ongoing.
Note there is no mention of what the duration of the "evaluation period" might be. Does the "evaluation period" end next week? Next month? Or maybe when hell freezes over? Is the length of the "evaluation period" some carefully guarded secret? (It's pretty clear WDFW doesn't intend to let the public know what it is.) Has WDFW made any attempt to establish a time period for this "evaluation period"? Or is this just more of the same "wait and see" stuff?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 23, 2017 10:41 am 
Friday September 22, 2017 14:36 PDT WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM Gray Wolf Update A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website here. -WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Sep 26, 2017 9:08 pm 
Tuesday September 26, 2017 16:56 PDT WDFW NEWS RELEASE WDFW ends action against wolf pack after two months without incident OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) has ended efforts to remove members of a wolf pack that has shown no sign of preying on livestock in Stevens County since late July. Responding to repeated predation by the Smackout pack on area livestock, state wildlife managers trapped and killed two members of the pack between July 20 and July 30, then suspended its operation to assess the need for further action. Since the removal action, the department has found no evidence that wolves have preyed on area livestock, and has not taken further action against the pack, said Donny Martorello, WDFW wolf manager. "Our goal was to change the pack's behavior, and the break in wolf depredations on livestock is consistent with the desired outcome," Martorello said. "We'll continue to track the pack's movements via GPS signals, but the removal operation is now over." The Smackout pack, one of 20 packs documented in Washington state last year, ranges across 350 square miles northeast of Colville. As of June, WDFW estimated the pack had 13 to 15 members, including five to seven offspring born in 2016. The two wolves removed from the pack this summer were a 30-pound female young of the year and a 70-pound adult female. Martorello said the department took that action after documenting four instances of predation on livestock during a 10-month period. Under WDFW's wolf-removal protocol, that pattern of predation on calves belonging to three ranchers met the threshold for lethal removal. All three ranchers used non-lethal methods to protect their livestock, but those precautions did not stop the ongoing predation by the pack. WDFW reinforced those efforts by deploying brightly colored flagging around pastures used by one rancher and strobe lights on private land where a calf was injured by wolves. Even after removing two wolves, the Smackout pack is still one of the largest packs in the state, Martorello said. He said department's action illustrates an "incremental" approach to wolf removal, which calls for an assessment period after removing – or attempting to remove – one or more animals. "This action was consistent with the state's Wolf Conservation and Management Plan of 2011 and the department's current protocol," he said. "Both policies support the recovery of wolves in our state, while also recognizing the need to address repeated predation on livestock." According to surveys conducted by WDFW, the state's overall wolf population is growing at an average rate of nearly 30 percent per year. "The pack has stayed out of trouble for eight weeks and the summer grazing season is coming to a close," Martorello said. "If depredations resume, WDFW would revert back to the protocol to assess the time since the previous depredations and assess any further actions." A final report on WDFW's action regarding the Smackout pack is available at http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01929/. The department corrected an error in the report; the date the evaluation period ended for the Smackout in this situation was Sept. 21, not Sept. 30. -WDFW-

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 11:45 am 
SingleShot

SingleShot
PostWed Sep 27, 2017 4:11 pm 
Back in 1997, Defenders of Wildlife told us "There has never been a documented case of a healthy, wild wolf, killing, or seriously injuring a human being in North America." It means you're not a statistic if the wolf is caged, in a pen, or is running a fever.

WDFW Volunteer Award recipient
Humptulips

Humptulips
PostThu Sep 28, 2017 2:00 pm 
Lawsuit to stop wolf depredation killings, Kind of brings to mind that other thread about lawsuits. http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/outdoors/2017/sep/25/lawsuit-would-prevent-washington-killing-more-wolves-protect-cattle/

Humptulips

Humptulips
PostFri Sep 29, 2017 6:59 pm 
Commissioners: Below is a summary of key issues regarding the wolf management lawsuit filed on 9/25/17. This information will be distributed to the wolf advisory group tomorrow. Please let us know if you have any questions. Sincerely, Nate Pamplin, Policy Director WDFW (360) 902-2693 Wolf management lawsuit Key issues – September 27, 2017 Summary of allegations[/b] On September 25, two environmental groups, the Center for Biological Diversity of Tucson, AZ, and Cascadia Wildlands of Eugene, OR, filed a lawsuit in Thurston County Superior Court designed to force WDFW to stop killing gray wolves that repeatedly prey on livestock. The suit challenges the use of the department’s current wolf-livestock interactions protocol (Protocol), developed by WDFW and its Wolf Advisory Group. The Protocol was developed to implement the provisions of the 2011 Wolf Conservation and Management Plan (Wolf Plan). In their complaint, the plaintiffs contend that: •The department’s adoption of the protocol – and subsequent decisions to remove a wolf under the terms of the protocol – violated the State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) because WDFW did not make “threshold determinations” of whether its action would have significant environmental impacts. •WDFW should have produced a supplemental environmental impact statement (EIS) for the protocol, because the original EIS for the 2011 Wolf Plan contemplated additional environmental review. •The lethal removal order for the Sherman Pack was arbitrary and capricious because it was based on unsupported findings that continued predation was likely and that removal of wolves from the pack would not harm overall gray wolf recovery. Background of protocol The department will not comment on details of the complaint or pending litigation, except to say: •The protocol was developed in 2016 and refined in 2017 by WDFW staff and members of the department’s Wolf Advisory Group, which includes a diversity of Washington citizens representing perspectives from livestock producers, hunters, and environmentalists. •The protocol is not just a set of guidelines for lethal removal. In fact, it includes expectations for the use of proactive non-lethal, preventive strategies to reduce the likelihood of wolf-livestock conflict. It also spells out criteria, which are consistent with the Wolf Plan, for wolf removal in cases where wolves do not respond to non-lethal deterrence measures. •One purpose of the protocol is to describe when the department considers lethal removal of gray wolves, which is an action that was assessed in Chapter 4 of the 2011 Wolf Plan. • WDFW Perspective •Wolf conservation and management is highly controversial nationwide and unfortunately has a history of litigation. While we’re disappointed that these two out-of-state groups have chosen to file a lawsuit, the department is committed to continuing to work with a diversity of Washington citizens and stakeholders on the conservation and management of Washington’s growing wolf population.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 4:26 pm 
Friday September 29, 2017 16:47 PDT WDFW WILDLIFE PROGRAM Gray Wolf Update A new update on wolf activities is available on the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife’s website: here. -WDFW-

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 4:45 pm 
nwhikers member Humptulips, quoting from the WDFW news letter above wrote:
On September 25, two environmental groups, the Center for Biological Diversity of Tucson, AZ, and Cascadia Wildlands of Eugene, OR, filed a lawsuit in Thurston County Superior Court designed to force WDFW to stop killing gray wolves that repeatedly prey on livestock.
Are either of the plaintiffs members of the Wolf Advisory Group? Did they not have an opportunity to become part of the Wolf Advisory Group when it was created? Did they not take part in the discussions that took place prior to the creation of the Wolf Management Plan and its subsequent revisions?

Humptulips

Humptulips
PostSat Sep 30, 2017 6:14 pm 
Here is a list of the members of the Wolf Advisory Group. http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/advisory/wag/WAG_MemberRoster.pdf