Forum Index > Trip Reports > Saddle Mt and more 3-22/3-23
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Mar 25, 2007 9:49 pm 
I left Kirkland at 10:30 and arrived in Mattawa @ 1:00. I stopped at the store and got a really good sandwich before driving up to Saddle Mt. The plan was to check out Sentinal Mt and the Columbia River overlook then head to Wahatis for the night. On my way up road "R" I saw this sad looking cow with a messed up nose
Ugly cow
Ugly cow
poor guy looked miserable frown.gif Continuing on my way I was glad I had my Subaru to drive up there with, the ol Honda would have bottomed out real bad in some spots. The overlook was awesome, the view of the river was breathtaking. I headed up to Sentinal Mt and got a really good view looking north and saw some farmers prepped their fields for the year. I headed back down and drove east to the other road to take up to the east side of Saddle. I found a spectacular peak to set up my tent and make some dinner.
Tent Saddle Mt with Wahatis in the back
Tent Saddle Mt with Wahatis in the back
I took a nap and woke up to rain beating on the side of my tent, so I stayed in and read a bit. Fell back asleep and was awoken a few hours later to the wind beating the hell out of my tent. The wind had shifted from the south to the west and was blowing about 30+ mph steady, I had to reposition my tent, I unhappily obliged the wind gods after about an hour or so and a few tent stakeds getting pulled out of the ground by said wind. With a non-freestanding tent it had started caving in on me. After moving my tent and having it facing the east, I slept like a baby and woke to a gorgeous sunrise
pre-sunrise
pre-sunrise
Sunrise
Sunrise
Yup, it was worth moving my tent biggrin.gif Packed up an hour later and a gazillion pictures later and headed towards Moses Lake to check out the sand dunes area. Rather anti-climactic since I grew up on Lake Michigan and 200-300 foot high sand dunes, but it was pretty nonetheless
Sand dunes near Moses Lake
Sand dunes near Moses Lake
Up to I-90 and east to the river to this great view of the western banks
Columbia River from the east
Columbia River from the east
Over the river to the Ginkgo Petrified Wood State Park. The wood displays are behind cages, but it was still neat to see it and learn about the history of the area.I did capture this pic of the grasses at the park
Grass from petrified park
Grass from petrified park
For LookoutBob I saw only these flowers my whole trip
Flowers at the petrified wood state park
Flowers at the petrified wood state park
Eastward on the Vantage Hwy I narrowly "escaped" getting busted by the fuzz, 70mph in a 55 zone, ok I didn't escape, he just decided not to pursue me, but he scared the heck outta me when he slowed down and started to pull over so he could turn around and get me. Further up along the Yakima River I saw this really cool sandstone wall
Sand wall above the Yakima River
Sand wall above the Yakima River
I noticed the Iron Horse trail to my left later on and snagged this pic as the trail head into a short tunnel
View from Vantage Hwy
View from Vantage Hwy
Even though I did little hiking, this was a wonderful way to spend my two days off. It makes me want top explore more what this great state has to offer.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostSun Mar 25, 2007 10:07 pm 
Nice report Bryan! I was over near there last week too! (TR to follow, to tired tonight) I live in Kirkland also, we should meet for breakfast at George's some morning and compare notes! up.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Mar 25, 2007 10:14 pm 
Breakfast @ George's, your on, just not this week cause I'm flat broke rolleyes.gif

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Mar 26, 2007 7:24 am 
up.gif thanks Bryan....glad you had fun.....oh...that poor lonely flower will soon be joined by a 'gazillion' more....looking forward to the bloom.... agree.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")