Forum Index > Trip Reports > Standup Creek, Teanaway 4/26/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Apr 27, 2003 11:12 am 
The Stafford Creek Road is open one-mile past Road 112 to Standup Creek Trail. Road 112 to Standup Creek Trailhead is open to a few hundred yards of the trailhead. This disclaimer is for All-Wheel-Drive vehicles and does not apply to Bad-Ass-Trucks. Snow on the Standup Creek Trail starts one hundred yards from the trailhead. Depth to the first stream crossing is from a few inches to over one foot including some bare spots. At the first crossing a volunteer trail engineer has graciously provided an acceptable bridge. From the first crossing, until the trail re-crosses the stream to the right at 4100 feet and begins a sharp climb to 4800 feet, a varied pattern of snow depths up to three feet and sections of open trail persist. At this time of year it is one of those damned if I do and damned if I don’t keep my snowshoes on kind of trail, as the snow is very soft and unsupportive through most sections. The only consistently clear section of trail, for the most part, is on the steep South-facing slope from 4400 feet to the ridge at 4800 feet. This is where Packpup and I stopped and soaked up views to Earl Peak. Snow depth at 4800 appeared to be three feet. Special award to the fanatical snowboarder who snowshoed well past our turnaround point and boarded down.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message