Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lookout Mountain/Monogram Lake trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostSun Apr 27, 2003 7:20 pm 
What a great conditioner this one is. I knew I'd never get to Monogram Lake or Lookout Mountain this time of year so I resolved to hike until I hit 2 hours, or the first significant snow, or the 3,600 level where there is a primitive campsite (before the trail forks), whichever came first. The trail forks about 1/4 mile beyond the campsite. Later in the year at the fork stay right for Monogram Lake and left for Lookout Mountain. Anyway, I got to the snow and the campsite in 1.5 hours so stopped there. So if you'd like the lonesome version of Mount Si, this is a nice hike. And if you have snowshoes you could probably get to the viewpoint above Monogram Lake with only one potential spot for avalanche danger. Lookout Mountain is another story -- that one is avalanche city until the snow is gone. The trail (as far as the campsite) is in good condition. It was too cold to eat lunch at the campsite so I hoofed it back to the car and drove to the viewpoint along the Cascade River road. No one else was there so I pulled out my lunch but a truck rolled in and a rather grim woman got out of the truck with what appeared to be an urn. She definitely looked like she wanted to be alone so I quietly drove away and found another place for lunch. Karen
Lookout Mountain trail black and white
Lookout Mountain trail black and white

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 8:32 am 
Karen wrote:
No one else was there so I pulled out my lunch but a truck rolled in and a rather grim woman got out of the truck with what appeared to be an urn. She definitely looked like she wanted to be alone so I quietly drove away and found another place for lunch. Karen
paranoid.gif AAGH!!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message