Forum Index > Trip Reports > Grand Coulee - Steamboat Rock
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Mar 19, 2007 8:53 pm 
I invited myself on Alan Bauer's & Karen's & Don Geyer's trip to Steamboat Rock. That's how I make freinds, I horn in on people's lives. It was a fantastic day, and it was a treat to hang with such great folks. Not many flowers yet; buttercups are beginning, and Karen found a neat flower; Locutokus, or something. Alan spotted death camas popping out, and there were 2 bald eagles circling all afternoon, and a pair of ravens. Gorgeous birds. Alan had fun watching Don play with the timer on his camera from a distance. Don's activities were silhouetted against the sun. It was a thing of terrible beauty. Time and time again, he'd set the timer, then run off toward the cliff to pose. He later said he wasn't sure if it was working. I only watched once as he set the thing before running off toward the cliff to pose, and it wasn't fun to watch. Another 5 feet & he'd be in the drink far below. I couldn't watch after that first time, but that didn't stop me from bartering with Alan about divying up all Don's gear in the case of an unfortunate Don event. But the sumbitch figured out the camera & stopped running toward the cliff. It's a nice camera, too. We all enjoyed the company as much as the scenery. The cloudscapes didn't disappoint. Oh, and...it's rumored that the first thing I said when I greeted them was sumpin' about ticks. Not so: I believe I said, "boy, you can sure tell the Seattlelites by the plastic techno-groovy gear they wear...." They stuck out like sore thumbs in thier polypro, leggings, full daypacks, etc. I once admonished Putz in Boots for appearing in that getup in Quincy once. I almost didn't let her out of the car.
Pine and cloud at Steamboat Rock
Pine and cloud at Steamboat Rock
Lichen covered granite erratic at Steamboat Rock
Lichen covered granite erratic at Steamboat Rock
Karen at Steamboat Rock
Karen at Steamboat Rock
Karen overlooking Devils Punchbowl at Steamboat Rock
Karen overlooking Devils Punchbowl at Steamboat Rock
Hikers silhouetted against the sky at Steamboat Rock
Hikers silhouetted against the sky at Steamboat Rock
Dweebs with Bazooka at Steamboat Rock
Dweebs with Bazooka at Steamboat Rock
Rare early spring Dweebs at Steamboat Rock
Rare early spring Dweebs at Steamboat Rock
Leader of the Dweeb Pack
Leader of the Dweeb Pack
Clouds scudding across Steamboat rock
Clouds scudding across Steamboat rock

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon Mar 19, 2007 9:05 pm 
Damn! I'm reading myself to sleep tonight with my Desert Hikes book (unless my house floats away with the rainstorm). Sounds like a fine time. Glorious photos too.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Mar 19, 2007 9:19 pm 
Only you can refer to a flower as locotucus. That is native for 'crazybuns'! Gorgeous pix.

David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostTue Mar 20, 2007 12:59 pm 
Quark wrote:
Time and time again, he'd set the timer, then run off toward the cliff to pose.
Great, I'm looking forward to more of the "hiker at xxx" series! lol.gif Hey that Don's a smart guy...if he is his own model, he never has to worry about getting people to sign release forms! Nice report Quark, made even more enjoyable by your usual line up of fabulous pictures! up.gif Karen

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Mar 20, 2007 1:45 pm 
I love that area. Steamboat Rock is cool! cool.gif

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue Mar 20, 2007 1:55 pm 
And Quark...don't forget about seeing the two patches of prairie star-flower in bloom. Key sighting or you would of gone and stepped right on them!! Remember: they are small biggrin.gif Don has the master technique all worked out just fine so he too can have photos captioned starting with "A hiker....." Otherwise you need to name them hikers but if yourself, you don't. Just as Quark, she knows all this stuff down without my having had to tell her over the years!! On a side note---the hours in the truck were just as fun watching things go by out the windows as the three of us were commentators on everything, and meeting Quark there topped off a great long Sunday. I still feel like I'm crawling with ticks however....but I never did see the invisible snake Don tried to spook me into falling onto Hwy 155 to get away from clown.gif It still thrills me how I managed to spot the porcupine. Sure am happy I did as it was a great start to the day over there up.gif

Damian

Damian
PostTue Mar 20, 2007 2:17 pm 
I see the Split Density Neutral is getting a workout! Good stuff Q

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 20, 2007 2:30 pm 
Those are some fine pics. The cumulus clouds really give great depth and perspective, as well as contrasting the blue sky. Nice stuff. Just say no to synthetic encased 206er's wandering about in 509's heartland. I'd be embarrassed myself. As a wetside to dryside transplant, i've been re- edjumacated in the basics. We require hats sporting John Deere, Caterpillar, Dow Chemical or any other farm/orchard chemical company, and, and coveralls, or t shirts with no sleeves, a grungy pair of plumbers crack jeans. I've got all that down. A snippy troublesome blue heeler or other cattle dog doesn't hurt either.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Spotly

Spotly
PostTue Mar 20, 2007 2:48 pm 
Those are great shots. I especially like the ones looking out over Highway Rock.

Karen

Karen
PostTue Mar 20, 2007 2:50 pm 
Steamboat Rock in the wrong place the report, not the place
What a dweeb I am, I posted my report under the wrong thread .... Look under Central Wa Rambles that Quark started for my verbage and photos on Steamboat Rock if'n you wants to. Quark started that thread and somehow that seemed like the right place to write about Steamboat Rock because it was the same kind of country .... Anyway, I don't look like "Karen" now anyway because I just had my hair cut and got a new hair style so Quark's photos of me are already "history". Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Don

Don
PostTue Mar 20, 2007 7:36 pm 
Quark cracks me up! The camera timer was working just fine. It was the programmable remote that I was having problems with. As a result, I had to cover 15 second ground in 10 seconds! Dang! Glad you could sit back and enjoy the show! lol.gif I was hoping to post images tonight, but it is not to be. Sorry. Too much work to do. I will post some stuff soon though. Promise. On another note, everyone watch the 10:00 news tonight on FOX. Rumor has it some Alan Bauer images may be forthcoming! hockeygrin.gif Don

silence

silence
PostTue Mar 20, 2007 9:13 pm 
Awesome road trip guys. Quark - Northrup and Moses Coulee pix are splendid! Karen - "another view from Steamboat" - very cool. Hurry up Don and Alan.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 20, 2007 10:58 pm 
dang don, that avatar rocks. is there a bigger version? it changes every time, i'm speaking of the peak in the sea of clouds

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Mar 21, 2007 12:32 am 
I was at Steamboat rock SP on Sunday as well, Monday and Tuesday, too. Just got home, actually. I didn't climb up the rock, though, due to my late-afternoon arrival. I just mountain-biked around the south end of the park with the dog.

Don

Don
PostWed Mar 21, 2007 7:01 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
dang don, that avatar rocks. is there a bigger version? it changes every time, i'm speaking of the peak in the sea of clouds
Mt. Shuksan at dawn
Mt. Shuksan at dawn
Don