Forum Index > Gear Talk > How much vasaline should I put on my balls?
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Mar 31, 2007 9:49 pm 
ALLLERRRIIIGHTYYY THEN... GET YOUR MINDS OUT OF THE GUTTER!! COTTON BALLS people...ya know for a fire starter...read it in the tips thread...and I wanna try it this summer but how much do I Saturate the cotton with the vaseline?? this post spellcheked.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostSat Mar 31, 2007 9:56 pm 
Alright...who the hell got the gnome drunK? drink.gif lol.gif Shucks...and I thought we'd have another chaff thread going too...

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Mar 31, 2007 9:58 pm 
eek.gif eek.gif Well, you got my attention anyway. You just smear vaseline all over the cotton balls. I don't think there's any real equation. I just make sure they're really greasy and they work fine.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Mar 31, 2007 9:59 pm 
actually I don't drink....just thought of this title late last night and couldn't stop laughing lol.gif gnome will do his best to stirup trouble and be mischevious! (just ask BPJ) and some threads when I first joined that were locked.....hmmmm maybee I should bump those up....

Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostSat Mar 31, 2007 10:02 pm 
I really wish youd change the 'use' to 'smear' in the title. I bet youd get more thread views. Smear away til your heart's content would be my answer. Of course, you could always buy a pack of dem nifty premade coleman ones ( ykm.gif )...but you'd lose some serious points for that. (goodness...I can sense trouble brewing already. I have no part in this)

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Mar 31, 2007 10:09 pm 
kotex with white gas dribbled onto it works good too. (when you're desparate, you think up and do stuff like this). This prolly won't work for you unless you use the product for your first aid kit which I do when I think to pack one, & a white gas stove, which I use.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Mar 31, 2007 10:12 pm 
your wish is my command ...... biggrin.gif

Yet

Yet
PostSat Mar 31, 2007 11:51 pm 
Doesn't anybody use Crisco anymore?

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 2:06 am 
Ya know, I can't believe I actually clicked on this thread lol.gif But as long as we're being sorta serious here, when I was up at the High Camp in December they had some sort of "firestarter" thingies made out of sawdust /wood shavings & an unknown ingredient, stuffed into a single cell of an egg carton. They worked well. Now if I'd only paid more attention about how they were made....

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 7:21 am 
It's sawdust and paraffin in a paper egg carton. Find the paraffin with the canning jars at the grocery store, melt it, and pour it over the sawdust or wood shavings in the egg carton.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 7:53 am 
Hey, thanks Jenjen. Good info up.gif

reststep

reststep
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 8:25 am 
If you use these Safelite Fire Starters you don't have to worry about all that other stuff.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 9:29 am 
is this just a prank to see how many views you can get on this thread?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
reststep

reststep
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 9:42 am 
I didn't even think about it being April 1st when I made that post but no I was it was not a prank. I carry those fire starters with me backpacking and on day hikes. I have used them in the rain and they seemed to work well.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
strider

strider
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 11:21 am 
If you're REEEEALLY serious about recycling, you can substitute dryer lint for the cotton balls....

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....