Forum Index > Trip Reports > Worm flow/ Swift Glacier @ Mt. St. Helens on 3-22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jabenoi
NW Hiker

jabenoi
NW Hiker
PostSat Mar 24, 2007 6:57 am 
I'll start by saying the weather people usually don’t have a clue. The forecast wasn't rain and a get 50 % of snow and white conditions up at St. Helens. But that was stopping us. When I say "us" that includes me and Idaho native named Dan that works with me. Hell he didn't go to work to get to come. So we rented free snowshoes form work and decided on Mt. St. Helens Marble MTN Snow-Park going up to the rim of Mt. St. Helens. We headed out at around ^am enroute to our destination. There was little to no rain at all the whole drive out there got there around 9:30 and donned our packs and hit the trail. The first say 2.o miles we didn’t even need the damn snow-shoes. We approached the mountain and the trees cleared d we could see St. Helens perfectly clear there were some clouds but the sun was shining and it was surprisingly warm. We seen a few tracks and some sort of scat but just wasn’t sure what it was I swear it looked like cat poop and remember there were tracks. We took a pic I will see if it comes out or not. But back trail it was nice and compacted and a pretty damn easy ascent now mind you we did not climb all the way to the top. Finally we reach the clearing right in front of climbing route and to our delight we turn around and what do we see????? Mt. Hood clearly as the clouds passed in front of it and then it opened up and voila lol and then we scanned to the left and BOOM Mt. Adams and let’s not forget St. Helens to your front. It was an awesome vantage point for these views. So we ate lunch up there at chocolate falls then went up almost ½ way to the rim but not really. I will tell you this snow-shoeing is not at all like hiking much more strenuous and awkward but nonetheless awesome. Oh yeah it was eerie up there. WHY??? Because the Mt. was steaming that’s why! After eating we hung out for a bit as I listened to him tell me about the hick town he grew up in and me the city I grew up in. It was a pleasant time. We finally decided to head back to the van and really took our time. Well going back to snow-shoeing being heard it is but very easy coming down  On the way back we noticed a few things we didn’t on the way in such as more scat and a another set of prints. Both sets we seen were pretty old judging by the looks of them anyway. Up to this point we hadn’t seen a single soul for hours and then behold a man with skis making his way up to summit and ski back down. I can’t imagine walking up there with them things. We passed by I said hello he didn’t respond to either of us. I have no idea what the heck he was wearing but it looked hot and old as was he. I don’t like to talk bad about anyone but the odor he let off as we passed stunk the alpine air and trail pretty bad. We laughed and moved on. We passed a few turn offs and decided just to get going back. We get to the car and there was a new set of people at the TH and they had no climbing pass or parking pass so we just gave them ours as we didn’t need them anymore they offered to pay us and we declined and the reason was I have been giving a pass from someone leaving on more themn one occasion so I thought I would do the same. So next time you do it too. Well till the next time folks.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be." Author Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jabenoi
NW Hiker

jabenoi
NW Hiker
PostSat Mar 24, 2007 6:59 am 
Jeff and Mt Adams
Jeff and Mt Adams
We decided to turn around after this.
We decided to turn around after this.
What was it?
What was it?

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be." Author Unknown
jabenoi
NW Hiker

jabenoi
NW Hiker
PostSat Mar 24, 2007 7:07 am 
Oh yeah by the way this is the 1st time I have ever done a trip report so be nice lol. It maybe too long I will shorten it next time I swear. hockeygrin.gif

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostSat Mar 24, 2007 7:53 am 
jabenoi wrote:
What was it?
What was it?
I "tink you taw a puddycat" (track). Thanks for the report Jeff.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat Mar 24, 2007 9:14 am 
Nice cat track! up.gif We were all set to head up St. Helens this weekend, but called it off because of the rotten forecast. Oh well, guess we'll have go buy a permit now. doh.gif Maybe I'll tag along with the NWHiker's group trip afterall.

Coasty
I like Salmon!

Coasty
I like Salmon!
PostSat Mar 24, 2007 1:33 pm 
NiceTR and Pics. Looked like a great trip! Jason

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Mar 24, 2007 3:22 pm 
You saw kitty tracks! wub.gif Nice TR, and glad you had good weather. Neat to see all those volcano's in one eyeful. Too bad about the stinky man. Makes you wonder.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
jabenoi
NW Hiker

jabenoi
NW Hiker
PostSun Mar 25, 2007 8:20 am 
Thanks you guys. smile.gif Yeah it was definetly an eyeful and I just really wish I had seen the animal so that I may post that pic that is my new goal. Me and my cousin were thinking of going hunting in the area he usually goes to as he has seen a coupke cougars out hunting. We will be hunting with a camera only might I add. Neither one of us want to kill anything so no weapons lol.

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostSun Mar 25, 2007 5:42 pm 
Nice TR jabenoi! And cool mention of the "Pay forward" on the passes....Nice idea for parking, but wouldn't that climbing pass be a problem for you somehow if they got lost up there while carrying your pass?

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
jabenoi
NW Hiker

jabenoi
NW Hiker
PostMon Mar 26, 2007 7:40 am 
Oh it was cool cause they werent going above the required 4800' for the permit. So just the parking pass. We asked lol? And yes pay it forward. Thanks for the support on the TR.

jabenoi
NW Hiker

jabenoi
NW Hiker
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 3:10 pm 
It was definetly a winter destination and a pretty easy hike a def must for beginning snowshoers.

Yet

Yet
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 4:00 pm 
jabenoi wrote:
We get to the car and there was a new set of people at the TH and they had no climbing pass or parking pass so we just gave them ours as we didn’t need them anymore they offered to pay us and we declined...
What an awesome thing to do. smile.gif up.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 5:48 pm 
whoo hoo this tr got me razzed for the April st Helens social. Thanks!

jabenoi
NW Hiker

jabenoi
NW Hiker
PostMon Apr 02, 2007 9:16 am 
Glad to hear that Tazz I am going to be going on another excursion here soon and I will be posting another TR as well so keep your eye open for it. So everyone how did I do my 1st time around lol? The next time I will keep it a little shorter but I'll still try and add some humor to it like stinky hiker I mentioned above. LOL I was jsut thinking I hope he isnt part of this forum and reads this TR. Imagine that? Well ttyl all.