Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB - Cedar Butte/Twin Falls (04/05/07)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostFri Apr 06, 2007 2:27 pm 
The latest trip was a TNAB first: a one-way trek between Cedar Butte and Twin Falls, connected by a long stretch of the Iron Horse trail. The idea was to send one team in from the Cedar Falls trailhead, while another team started up from the Twin Falls trailhead. The teams meet along the way, exchange car keys, and continue the hike. Surprisingly, I got 14 people (and two dogs) to buy off on this hare-brained scheme! Team Cedar Butte: Alexei (Magellan), Bryan, Carla (dicey), Chris M (Omega), Damon, Daniel, Don (Malachai Constant), Jason (Coastie), and Logan (canine) Team Twin Falls: Drew, Joe (Layback), Sandy, Tom, Yet, Cascade(canine), and Yours Truly Since I was on Team Twin Falls, the rest of the report will be from that perspective (hint - someone on Team Cedar Butte needs to follow up!). The show got started by 5:45 PM under warm, sunny skies. The trail to Twin Falls is nice - well maintained and scenic, with the river backdrop. We didn't care much for the proximity to I-90 (merely yards away at one point), but you gotta take some bad with the good. We reached the Falls by 6:30 PM. They were in fine form, but I'm sure they were really gushing just a week ago. After the Falls, it was new territory as we forged on to intersect the Iron Horse trail. This portion seemed to stretch on forever, as the trail gently climbed eastward for nearly a mile. Of course, Cedar Butte is WEST of Twin Falls. It was all I could do to stifle the urge to bushwhack due south. Shortly after 7:00 PM, we were on the Iron Horse, enjoying a round of delicious brownies. I'm not sure what we'll do if Yet stops baking treats for TNAB! smile.gif For the next hour, we paced westward toward Cedar Butte, watching the sunset behind Rattlesnake Mountain. There were numerous curiosities to check out along the way, ranging from old train stops (Ragnar) and other industrial remnants to unexpected natural scenery. At about 7:30 PM, the evening quiet was broken by my cell phone ringing - Team Cedar Butte was coming into range! The teams met at 7:45 PM, made short work of the remaining brownies, and exchanged car keys. Our meeting was brief, as both sides were eager to finish the trek. Sans Joe (and Cascade), who returned with Team Cedar Butte, Team Twin Falls watched Cedar Butte gradually grow in the soft twilight. At 8:15 PM, we arrived at the trailhead for Cedar Butte. It was quite dark by then - time for headlamps! Despite the increasing darkness, we made quick work of Cedar Butte. Everyone was on the summit by 9:00 PM - sweet! I estimate the total elevation gain from the Iron Horse to Cedar Butte summit to be 800 ft. From the top, we could see the lights of North Bend, watch real fires flicker across the valley at the Fire Training Center, and gaze at the emerging stars in the remarkably clear skies. It was really quite pleasant. On our way off of Cedar Butte, I got another call - Team Cedar Butte had finished first. Not too surprising, though - their route had less vertical gain than Team Twin Falls. While we made our way to the Cedar Falls trailhead, Team Cedar Butte picked up the cars and drove back to meet us - thanks! The adventure came to a close at 9:45 PM. Happy, but hungry, a good majority of us from both teams then headed into North Bend for burgers and brew at the Pour House (too late for NBB&G). Overall distance covered was probably close to 10 miles (I was thinking eight originally). Great hike and good times - we'll definitely add this one to the list of TNAB events! Next Hike: Fuller Mountain on April 12th

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yet

Yet
PostFri Apr 06, 2007 3:37 pm 
Adventure, excellent company, perfect weather! Last night's hike was so much fun, it should be illegal. smile.gif Discussing Logistics at Eastgate
dicey, Logan & Mesahchie Mark
dicey, Logan & Mesahchie Mark
Damon & Drew
Damon & Drew
Malachai Constant, dicey, Mark, Logan, Chris
Malachai Constant, dicey, Mark, Logan, Chris
Team Twin Falls Scenic Route and Brownie Break
Falls
Falls
Untitled
Untitled
Red Mark
Red Mark
Save some for me!
Save some for me!
Should I?
Should I?
Mmmm II...
Mmmm II...
Thumbs Up
Thumbs Up
Onwards with the Road Hike
Into the Sunset
Into the Sunset
Yellow
Yellow
Train Track Remains
Train Track Remains
Ragnar
Ragnar
Watercolor Sky
Watercolor Sky
Things to See Along the Way
Things to See Along the Way
Intersecting of the Two Groups
Swapping of Keys
Swapping of Keys
Regroup
Regroup
Brownies!
Brownies!
And the Fun Recap
TPH II
TPH II
TPH III
TPH III
Hungry!
Hungry!
Want more? Go Here.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Apr 06, 2007 3:42 pm 
up.gif I'm bummed I had to miss another one of these, looks fun!

WhiteDog

WhiteDog
PostFri Apr 06, 2007 4:03 pm 
I'm bummed too that I had to miss it (work.... that four letter word). I hope Bryan still has my headlamp. Someone said he sold it on ebay. wink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
WildCelticRose
Oooh ! Shiny !

WildCelticRose
Oooh ! Shiny !
PostFri Apr 06, 2007 4:53 pm 
~ I was looking forward to my first TNAB hike, but it was not to be. After a comedy of errors between Sumner, Kent and Auburn, my friends and I arrived at the trailhead 15 minutes behind the group. We must have been going up one side as they were coming down the other. Maybe next time. We had a great hike and took a few pictures. <a href="http://www.wildcelticrose.net/lisasplace/photo.html">Cedar Falls Photos</a> ~L biggrin.gif

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. John Muir
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostFri Apr 06, 2007 5:55 pm 
Top of Upper Falls
Top of Upper Falls
Bottom of 2nd falls
Bottom of 2nd falls
Thanks for having me on my first TNAB! Good people and good times! See you next week! PS Sorry I had to bail before going to the bar - long ride home...

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostFri Apr 06, 2007 5:56 pm 
Good times, good times. Team Cedar Butte was rockin tonight. We left the TH and hiked the 1/2 mile or so along the Iron Horse then up the Cedar Butte trail. We shortly passed two guys heading down then we had the butte to ourselves. We took the blowout fork with Don leading the way. The blowout area was hard to see as the trees were rather thick, but we imagined the view from years past. In short time we made the summit, according to the benchmark we were on "Ceder Butt" luckily we were smarter than the forest service and knew where we were at. The pub mix made another appearance to the delight of Dicey. Arrogant Bastard washed down the mix for those who wanted it. We headed down after about 15 minutes and Dicey led the way, or should I say, ran down the trail, man she was smokin'. Daniel's uber cool vendor supplied backpack busted and he was down to one strap, vendors always give away cheap freebies don't they. The Iron Horse for me was a new experience, seeing the old power poles and Ragnar stop, and all the old RR ties stacked along the trail. Gonna have to check out Ragnar sometime. Met up with Team Twin Falls and gorged on brownies, man those are good!!!!! Pushed onward and not long after Logan had a problem with her paw/leg. After a few short stops she was back on her way, to the relief of Dicey who wasn't looking forward to the idea of carrying her out. Logan finished thetrip like a champ though. The falls weren't so spectacular for us as they were shrouded by darkness, but we could hear them really good though. Returned to different cars and drove back to the Cedar Butte TH. We even beat the other team to the parking lot. It was a great hike with some great company. It's always nice to meet other people from TNAB and from this site.
Mt. Si
Mt. Si
Teneriff
Teneriff
Mailbox
Mailbox
Team Cedar Butte snackin. Damon, Daniel's arm and leg,Magellan, Logan, Don, Dicey, Chris
Team Cedar Butte snackin. Damon, Daniel's arm and leg,Magellan, Logan, Don, Dicey, Chris

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostFri Apr 06, 2007 6:30 pm 
Bryan - thanks for the Team Cedar Butte version of events. Too bad about the darkness at the Falls, but at least you were hiking downhill, mostly... hockeygrin.gif

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Apr 06, 2007 7:07 pm 
Team Ceder Butt checking in. Flat, up, blowout, blowdown, blowhard, view, running, 47 miles of roadwalk, pain, plotting to ambush the other team, brownies, darkness, dispariging comments, big blowdown, pain, lost chopsticks, rushing water, invisible falls, headlamps in the distance, pain, Moosefish house, pain, speedy Acura, rendezvous, dog humping pack, pain, and the drive home.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostFri Apr 06, 2007 7:38 pm 
The pack had it coming. All that mesh is very revealing...

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Apr 07, 2007 7:41 am 
Hey Lisa, I hope you and your crew make it next time. Oh by the way, this is not 'gross'.
:wub:
wub.gif

Yet

Yet
PostSat Apr 07, 2007 8:05 am 
lol.gif Thanks Bryan and Magellan! Enjoyed reading both Cedar Butte and Ceder Butt reports. TCB rocks! Layback, your photos of the falls are amazing. up.gif

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Apr 07, 2007 2:19 pm 
WhiteDog wrote:
I'm bummed too that I had to miss it (work.... that four letter word). I hope Bryan still has my headlamp. Someone said he sold it on ebay. wink.gif
Your headlamp is safe in my pack. Goes up on Ebay next Friday though biggrin.gif

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostSat Apr 07, 2007 9:11 pm 
Bryan - you were right. That is definitely the most retarded avatar ever.

LindaLu

LindaLu
PostSun Apr 08, 2007 6:13 pm 
Well, maybe next time I can convince Lisa to get off work earlier than 4:30! Then we'll be able to meet up with all of you at the trailhead. smile.gif Oh well, we had a great time and I had a chance to re-stock the geocache I put up on Cedar Butte. I don't know if I'll make it this week, and the following week I'll be at Toleak with the REI beach cleanup expedition. So I'll see you when I see you! Cheers--

LindaLu