Forum Index > Trip Reports > "Barefootin In The Desert SW" Part I Zion/ The Subway
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Andrew

Andrew
PostSat Apr 07, 2007 12:34 pm 
Stunning area! I would go there just for a photograph of the waterfall room! cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostSat Apr 07, 2007 6:39 pm 
Very nice TR and beautiful photos. Slot canyons are awesome (when there are no flash floods). How long is the Subway to hike (when you wre there, anyway)? The way this is going, this website will momentarily be turned into swhikers.net. :-)

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Don

Don
PostSat Apr 07, 2007 6:56 pm 
Excellent trip report as always, Tazz! And Karen, you ROCK! banana.gif Very, very nice compositions! I have a couple of favorites already, but certainly can't dwindle them down any further! up.gif Don

Don

Don
PostSat Apr 07, 2007 7:03 pm 
Tazz, I missed Happy Feet! Trippin'!

pipo

pipo
PostSat Apr 07, 2007 7:06 pm 
David & Karen wrote:
the Zion ranger told us there would be many icy cold pools that we would need to swim through. Wet or dry suits would be needed and winter conditions were present . . . but I wondered why they would go to such lengths as to lie about conditions.
A couple of explanations--the rangers might have assumed you were coming from the top down, which involves 2-3 easy rappels and almost always requires some swimming. This time of year the Left Fork is often flowing vigorously and can have snow and ice, but not always. And yes, the rangers can make it sound a bit worse than it is. (One time in Capitol Reef the ranger told me that a slot canyon route was full of water requiring much swimming and wetsuits. Didn't even get my feet wet.) That is one drawback to the parks in Utah . . . the rangers are rarely helpful and occasionally surly. It's unfortunate. The rangers in the PNW I have talked with (Olympic and N Cascades) were remarkably cheerful and helpful. That said, it's important to get good current info about canyon routes, but the rangers are rarely the best source for that.

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostSat Apr 07, 2007 8:18 pm 
pipo wrote:
A couple of explanations--the rangers might have assumed you were coming from the top down, which involves 2-3 easy rappels and almost always requires some swimming.
Nah, he knew we were entering and exiting from the Left fork trail head. We told him we were not canyoneering, we were hiking in. I just found it odd the other couple had the same experience. I understand they like to make sure you know what conditions are possible and what you're getting into, I'm sure they get a lot tourist mishaps. But his information was absolutely useless and a waste of time. I knew going into it that they had a warm, dry spell the previous two weeks and there was no real threat of bad weather until much later in the week, I was expecting drier than normal conditions and I don't even live there and am not as familiar with the terrain! I'm sure it's all related to liability, but I just found it frustrating. Actually on our last trip to Zion we overheard a humerous conversation at the ranger station that might help explain the kinds of things they have to deal with. Some one was asking the ranger if they could rapel into the Narrows, to which the ranger replied "Sure you got a 2000 ft rope?". rotf.gif

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Tazz

Tazz
PostSat Apr 07, 2007 8:21 pm 
I didn't here that cutie say that!! lol.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSat Apr 07, 2007 9:35 pm 
Cool! up.gif Now I know who to get information from when I'm planning my trip.

Tazz

Tazz
PostSat Apr 07, 2007 9:39 pm 
you two will love it there Randy!! wait to see what else is coming. I know one place your wife will love(long hike but worth the rewards 10 fold)!! agree.gif up.gif

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun Apr 08, 2007 5:43 pm 
Thanks for starting the trip report. You went even more cool places than I imagined. I've never been anyplace like the subway. Makes me want to go there. Looking forward to the rest.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Beave

Beave
PostSun Apr 08, 2007 7:56 pm 
Awesome TR and photos!!! I read an article on Subway awhile back and it has been on my hit list ever since. Talk about a change in scenery.

ree

ree
PostSun Apr 08, 2007 8:00 pm 
Beautiful pictures! So glad you had a wonderful trip. I look forward to more pictures! I'm not surprised at the discouraging attitude of rangers. I've had that before. They figure if they can keep people to the areas with guard rails, they won't have to deal with stupid headaches from idiot tourists. I loved Zion. Really spectacular. Great time of the year to get out in the desert.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Apr 08, 2007 8:27 pm 
Nice. Really nice. agree.gif up.gif I can only imagine how it feels to travel in those places but your pictures do fill the imagination. I can't wait to visit there someday and I'm happy for you guys to have had such a great trip.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostThu Apr 12, 2007 2:49 am 
stun.gif

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostMon Apr 16, 2007 9:21 pm 
Ahhhhhhhh man your killing me. I love love love Zions, the rock, the light, the river. I did the narrows in november with my brother-in-law in a semi-wet suit. What a fantastic set of photos!