Forum Index > Trip Reports > Worst Trip of the Year, Commonwealth Basin, 1-23-08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 8:56 pm 
I will never go snowshoeing with BJ or Solohiker again, not ever!! When we met today we couldn't figure out where we wanted to go so they forced me to go to Commonwealth Basin against all my wishes (I had no choice, Solohiker was driving). Just kidding! It was probably one of the BEST snowshoeing trips I've done in years. Conditions couldn't have been better, the mountains couldn't have been more beautiful than they were today. We took the old Cascade Crest Trail route into Commonwealth Basin and went up into upper Commonwealth Basin for the views of Kendall Peak, Red Mountain and big stretches of fluffy, white, untrammeled snow. Lots of snowshoers were out over the weekend because we were able to follow tracks (snowshoe tracks) much of the way and we didn't have to work that hard. Crossing Commonwealth Creek has never been easier - there is so much snow, you couldn't drown if you wanted to. Snow bridges are in good condition, the best ever, at least for now. It was very cold, though. That's the price you pay to snowshoe through such a pretty scene - the sharp blue skies, the white, white snow, the greenish blue shadows the trees cast on the glittering snow and ice. Cold. Darn cold. Had to keep taking the gloves off to work the camera and my fingers were screaming. Yet we couldn't stop taking pictures. Lunch was on a rounded bump (we couldn't decide whether it was an ancient igloo, a rock or a fat tree) with views of Kendall Peak and Red Mountain and oh yes, the notch between Red and Lundine (looks like someone took a bite out of the ridge). We stayed mostly in the trees - we could see avalanche slopes/chutes on the surrounding peaks but we there was no danger where we were, at least not today. The snow was great for snowshoeing - no problems at all. It's hard to figure out mileage when snowshoeing but it was probably about 4-5 miles round trip with 1,300 feet of elevation gain to our high point (according to my analog altimeter). A good time was had by all, including Tika who got another chance to frolic in the snow. My gosh, it was beautiful up there. Karen
A view of Guye Peak from old Cascade Crest Trail
A view of Guye Peak from old Cascade Crest Trail
A view of Red Mountain from upper Commonwealth Basin
A view of Red Mountain from upper Commonwealth Basin
A view of Kendall Peak
A view of Kendall Peak
Upper Commonwealth Basin
Upper Commonwealth Basin
Lower Commonwealth Basin
Lower Commonwealth Basin
Looking down on Commonwealth Creek
Looking down on Commonwealth Creek
Lower Commonwealth Basin
Lower Commonwealth Basin
Frozen Commonwealth Creek
Frozen Commonwealth Creek
Texture, Commonwealth Basin
Texture, Commonwealth Basin
Snowy scene, Lower Commonwealth Basin
Snowy scene, Lower Commonwealth Basin

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 9:06 pm 
Commonwealth Basin snowshoe trek
Nice going, BJ and Solohiker! Glad you "shanghai'd" Karen! She has done an admirable job....even "artsy-fartsy" (I cite photos 5 and 9). Great job on the photos and soulds like it was a grad adventure on the ol' trail...er....snow slog. Wish I was there!

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster

Schmidt Alti-Dude
4th class poster
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 9:17 pm 
Karen: Tisha received a pair of PossumDown gloves from Demo as a Christmas present. She absolutely loves them. They are thin enough to manipulate the camera buttons yet very insulating. She says they are warmer than her thick winter gloves.

Anything stated by me in no way reflects the attitudes or opinions of my wife
Karen

Karen
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 9:22 pm 
Thanks, Schmidt Alti-tude -- they are out of stock apparently but I will certainly check back. The gloves sound perfect for my needs and they are affordable, too. That was about the only part of my body that was complaining today, my darned hands. Usually my wool gloves suffice but they didn't help at all. Karen

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 10:29 pm 
Gorgeous pictures. Thanks for the TR Karen!

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 10:36 pm 
Sorry you had such a horrible time lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif Beautiful pictures up.gif

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 11:13 pm 
I like the curvy snow bridges on the "Looking down Commonwealth Creek" photo.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
greg

greg
PostThu Jan 24, 2008 8:30 am 
I helped break that trail for you Karen, was up there with a group on Friday -- gorgeous then too!
Guye Peak on the left
Guye Peak on the left

cartman

cartman
PostThu Jan 24, 2008 7:39 pm 
Man, I wish all my trips sucked like this one.

cartman

cartman
PostThu Jan 24, 2008 7:44 pm 
Schmidt Alti-dude wrote:
Karen: Tisha received a pair of PossumDown gloves from Demo as a Christmas present. She absolutely loves them. They are thin enough to manipulate the camera buttons yet very insulating. She says they are warmer than her thick winter gloves.
hijacked.gif I've noticed when using my OR Windstopper fleece gloves (fleece inside and out with a layer of Windstopper between them--not made anymore) that my hands tend to be warmer than with thicker gloves. I think this is due to no nylon or other sort of barrier, thus there is some heat exchange between the fingers--in other words, each finger isn't completely isolated from all the other fingers. Toasty.

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostThu Jan 24, 2008 8:00 pm 
gloves
Yikes! I may have been duped by nice lady employee at REI. Purchased pair of "windproof, weatherproof 'SOFTSHELL' by SEIRUS" gloves at $45 when shopping Christmas presents at Redmond store. I found no need to wear until recent cold weather. Low....they are colder than when NOT wearing them! They seem to transfer ambient temp. of air and keep skin COLD! And...sharp wind cuts right through. I went for these based on the raves by employee salesperson, "...this is the 'hotest' item we have this year....a super fabric for any use....". I Q'd her since I walk my dogs at night and it would be most appealing to have gloves that kept hands warm and still could do the handling (esp. 'pickup brigade' duties). She thought it ideal. I have misplaced or dispatched the sales slip/receipt. Someone thought I could beg REI for refund...is that possible? I have tried on these gloves and walked short distances until my fingers got so cold I couldn't stand it...I have switched to walking dogs with my hands in pockets and hope for the best! I have not yet tried using the gloves as liners...which may work. My old gloves really were cheap and are now falling apart...but might be useful as outer gloves. My very fine ski gloves have been on the "missing list" for 3.25 years since moving. I sure wish I did not talk with the sales person...and had gone for the nice, bulky ski mitts for a few dollars less....and would have happy hands. I still need warm gloves for mountain travel if I go x-c ski/snowshoe. Lesson learned...I think.

solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Jan 24, 2008 8:11 pm 
If you used your REI number when you purchased the gloves, they will have it in their computer and be happy to exchange for something you like better (adjusting for any difference in price, and no begging necessary) or refund you the amount you paid. Actually it might be store credit which you can use at any time rather than straight cash refund - I'm not sure - I've never needed straight cash because there's always SOMEthing I'd like to buy there, so store credit's as good as money to me.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Jan 24, 2008 8:16 pm 
And Sabahsboy fwiw the thin pair of gloves I bought from REI are "Mountain Wear - Polartec." They're great for walking the dog - keeping my hands plenty warm yet fingers are nimble enough to handle scoop duties, leash adjustments, etc. Sorry for the thread drift - back on topic - yeah it was a glorious day - except for Karen fussing about how "awful" it was. (She was in a peak bagging mood, but it was windy and being a bit of a wuss I voted for the basin where we'd be protected from the wind, still have plenty of views, we'd just have to look up for them instead of down). The amount of depth of snow on the ground is phenomenal. I've never seen it so easy to cross the creek(s) in that basin.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostFri Jan 25, 2008 5:56 am 
Gorgeous pics Karen!

Karen

Karen
PostFri Jan 25, 2008 8:46 am 
Thank you, so glad you enjoyed the photos! Being there was worth the "price" of cold fingers. Not sure (yet) what to do to remedy the situation (gloves) -- if all else fails, I'll just put up with the cold fingers. It's usually not that cold anyway. (All kidding aside, this was one of my "best" trips in a while --though I cringe to use that over-used adjective). Karen