Forum Index > Gear Talk > Compass & Navigation Book?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri May 02, 2003 5:40 pm 
For an upcoming b'day I've purchased a compass for a present. Now I'm wondering about a good book on navigation and compass usage. There are a few decent ones available but am asking for some help in choosing. GPS usage isn't necessary. What's the concensus? Thanks for the help NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
allison-

allison-
PostFri May 02, 2003 8:21 pm 
Staying Found The classic, as fresh as the day it was born, and still in print.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri May 02, 2003 9:52 pm 
Something like be expert with Map and Compass by silva

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Benjamin

Benjamin
PostSat May 03, 2003 7:25 pm 
'Wilderness Navigation' by Bob and Mike Burns is good. It is a publication of the Mountaineers and goes for around $10. For a measly $15 dollars more you could just get 'Mountaineering Freedom of The Hills' which has most the text from 'Wilderness Navigation' within its navigation chapter. It is a Mountaineer publication also. For your $15 you also get tons of info on just about every aspect of outdoor hiking and climbing. This is a climbers bible. Hikers will find much pertinent information as well.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun May 04, 2003 8:57 pm 
Was thinking more along the lines of something that could be put in the pack for reference use for a while. Freedom of the Hills, The Bible, is good but a tad heavy. Thinking the Silva print out may do the trick. Thanks for the feedback. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dante

Dante
PostMon May 05, 2003 9:42 am 
It's a little off topic, but you might check the Brunton Site to see if they have the Silva book on closeout. They have some KILLER deals on Silva Rangers. Brunton bought Silva, but did not get the rights to use the Silva name in the USA, because some other company owns that for the foreseeable future. As a result, Brunton is rebranding the Silva stuff in the US and is selling off the old Silva branded stuff cheap. Go to www.brunton.com and look for the "closeouts" link or tab . . .