Forum Index > Trip Reports > Twin Peaks 4621' and 4586' N ridge approach 4/7
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Apr 08, 2007 10:30 am 
Location : Wenatchee, Wa. Access : SR 2 to Miller St., turn right on Maiden Lane and follow to dirt road and N end off Sage Hills Trail parking lot Maps : GTM - Wenatchee / Mission Ridge, Wa. No. 2115, custom TOPO Stats : 14 miles, 4500', 8.5 hr. I have been up this mountain 4 times with different people from different routes dizzy.gif , but had never done it from it's expansive NNE ridge > North Shoulder > N Ridge, so with the higher freezing levels thought it would make a great scenic, training dayhike hink.gif . I ran it by Steve several days earlier and he signed on to do it. The city has grown so the maps are far outdated so I reconned it and entered a waypoint in my GPS at the trailhead, went back home entered it into my software and pinpointed the location on the map and a ridge route.
Twin Peaks NNE route
Twin Peaks NNE route
Along some of the initial lower ridge, going for the high points.
Along some of the initial lower ridge, going for the high points.
We were on the trail at 0815 under overcast skies, which I was thankful for and temp around 47 degrees as most of our gain and mileage would be on more open, exposed terrain. I drew the route out thinking we will just walk it off trail, but of course, I have not been the first to think of this and our route included off trail, unofficial trails, and abandoned old road grades being reclaimed.
One of the many deer we saw
One of the many deer we saw
High point along the large N shoulder of Twin Peaks aka "Horse Lake Mountain"
High point along the large N shoulder of Twin Peaks aka "Horse Lake Mountain"
More forested section of the NNE ridge as you gain elevation
More forested section of the NNE ridge as you gain elevation
Horse Lake already dried up. I heard they are going to dig it deeper and construct it into a year round lake as a water resource for migrating wildlife.
Horse Lake already dried up. I heard they are going to dig it deeper and construct it into a year round lake as a water resource for migrating wildlife.
We came up and through all that rising, undulating terrain.
We came up and through all that rising, undulating terrain.
Working our waay up the NNE ridge to the N ridge
Working our waay up the NNE ridge to the N ridge
Looking down one of the many canyons
Looking down one of the many canyons
There are some grinding steep sections transitioning from green grassy hills to open wood and plateaus, to forested and still snow covered sections. The views were awesome all along the way as we rose to see the magnificent ridges, canyons, foothills, and mountain ranges. We could see from Mt. Rainier to the North Cascades and back over to Chelan Butte, up and down the Columbia etc...,
Three Brothers, Ingalls Creek Basin, and part of the Stuart Range
Three Brothers, Ingalls Creek Basin, and part of the Stuart Range
Temple, Little Annapurna, McClellan, Enchantment, Prussik, Cannon, Wedge and more...
Temple, Little Annapurna, McClellan, Enchantment, Prussik, Cannon, Wedge and more...
View off North Ridge of Teanaway Peaks, Ingalls Basin, Stuart Range, Icicle Ridge etc...
View off North Ridge of Teanaway Peaks, Ingalls Basin, Stuart Range, Icicle Ridge etc...
Glacier Peak, Ten Peak, Clark, Chiwawa etc...
Glacier Peak, Ten Peak, Clark, Chiwawa etc...
Trail along section of North ridge
Trail along section of North ridge
Ingalls Creek Basin with Fortune Peak and the N. ridge leading to South Ingalls Peak covered in snow
Ingalls Creek Basin with Fortune Peak and the N. ridge leading to South Ingalls Peak covered in snow
Meadows to the South of the summit, Pitcher Mountain, with Misson Ridge in the background
Meadows to the South of the summit, Pitcher Mountain, with Misson Ridge in the background
Foothills, part of Teanaway, Ingalls Creek Basin, Stuart Range etc...
Foothills, part of Teanaway, Ingalls Creek Basin, Stuart Range etc...
Canyon down from the N ridge
Canyon down from the N ridge
Looking NNW to Glacier Peak, Clark, and many others
Looking NNW to Glacier Peak, Clark, and many others
It was a worker for sure and we rested on the summit looking across the foothills into the more central mountain ranges. The trip back was just as scenic, but as we descended the dirt was hard from the E exposure and felt like concrete.
Looking back at the higher N orth ridge
Looking back at the higher N orth ridge
Looking back towards Leavenworth across the North ridge plateau and foothills
Looking back towards Leavenworth across the North ridge plateau and foothills
Eastern ridges, canyons, with Mission Ridge in the far background
Eastern ridges, canyons, with Mission Ridge in the far background
Who mows these mountain ridges ?
Who mows these mountain ridges ?
A great dayhike, with great company looking forward to those higher places yet to come.

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Apr 08, 2007 2:18 pm 

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Apr 08, 2007 6:03 pm 
Oops, if I had read this report first, I wouldn't have asked about where Twin Peaks was at (Chelan butte thread). Not only do you have some terrific pictures, but the map explains the location. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Apr 09, 2007 9:09 am 
Thanks Dean, I know there are several mountains with the name "Twin Peaks", Steve pointed Chelan Butte out. I always wondered what that point was, but never investigated it. up.gif