Forum Index > Trip Reports > Red Hill Spur Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostSat May 03, 2003 10:26 pm 
With rain in the forecast I headed east to the Devil's Gulch trailhead north of Cashmere. It had been 11 years since I had hiked there. The one trail I had not done from that trailhead was the Red Hill Spur trail. It starts along the creek then climbs up to a ridge top. Wildflowers start at the bottom and never let up. I stayed dry all day and had a great time. I also saw 4 deer up close. One motorcycle and no other hikers all day. I have a full report here: Red Hill Spur Trail Here are a few flower photos as well:
Yellow Flower
Yellow Flower
Balsamroot
Balsamroot

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSun May 04, 2003 10:10 pm 
The yellow flower looks like a wallflower.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
JimK

JimK
PostMon May 05, 2003 8:44 am 
I now have 24 pictures posted at the link above. Thanks Rich for the ID on the wallflower. This hike had many flowers I have either not seen before or whose name I can't remember. I would appreciate help in identifying them.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon May 05, 2003 9:41 pm 
Hi Jim, A few quick ones I noted on your web site from your trip: Flowering tree = Serviceberry (these were making full hillsides white in the Blue Mountains this weekend---Tucannon River Road area in particular--it was AMAZING!) White flower = prairie star-flower Flower (on page 1--yellow one) = Oregon grape Blue Flower (page 1) = some species of purple vetch Flower (page 2--yellow/white) = leaves look like death camas, but flowers don't...hmmmm. Blue Flower (page 2) = ballleaf waterflower And Rich is correct in that one is certainly wallflower. Fun stuff! I'll have to write up the incredible list of flowers blooming all at the same time on Kamiak Butte over near Colfax in Whitman County that I witnessed today (and no, it was NOT a day trip for a change...I was over in SE Washington since Friday biggrin.gif

JimK

JimK
PostMon May 05, 2003 10:34 pm 
Alan, Thanks for the help with IDs. I know many of the flowers of the Cascade crest area but it's fun to see new ones on the east side. I'll update my site so I'll have a record of these flowers.

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostWed May 07, 2003 9:29 pm 
Hi Jim, I've been lurking on the board and I'd like to help ID the flower pictures. These are great pictures with enough detail we can ID most of them to the species. On page 1 "Another Flower" is Lithospermum Ruderale. Common name Western Gromwel. We've seen it on Yakima Rim late in April. One page 2 "White Flower" is Lithophragma or Prairie Star. I'm not certain the species but we have seen Lithophragma Bulbifer on Yakima Rim in April. On page 2 "Desert Bluebells" is Mertensia Oblongifolia. We've see this on Whiskey Dick outside of Ellensburg. On page 2, "Flower" is Poison Camas, Zigadenus Venenosus. We seen this on Yakima Rim as late as May. On page 2, "Blue Flower" is Hydrophyllum Fendleri or Fendler's Waterleaf. On page 2, Tiny Flowers (yellow with red throat) is Amsinckia Retrorsa or Tarweeds. Jim, I'd like to compliment you on your web site and choice of hikes. We also love the Teanaway area and last year we ended up hiking on many similar hikes. Maybe some time our paths may cross. We've been hiking the Cascades for the past 25 years and wildflowers are one of our passions. Hubby has a degree on Botany from UW which helps. Our favorite wildflower book is out of print. It is "Washington Wildflowers" published by Seattle Audubon Society. Authors Larrison,Patrick,Baker, Yaich. Another great book is "Field Guide to Pacific States Wildflower" by Niehaus and Ripper (Peterson Field Guide Series). - Marta

JimK

JimK
PostWed May 07, 2003 9:39 pm 
Marta, Thanks for the help with flower identification. I am especially glad to see you found the name for the Tarweed. It is anything but a weed. It's a very nice flower. You've seen my picture on my site. If you spot me in the Teanaway please say hi. I have quite a few more trips planned over there this year. I should get in at least another 3 or 4 snow scrambles before it melts away. Thanks for the recommendation of "Washington Wildflowers". I went over to Half.com and ordered a copy in good condition for $6.56 delivered. Ah, the wonders of the Internet...

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostWed May 07, 2003 10:00 pm 
We probably won't be over there until the snow melts but who knows. We need to do an Eastern WA trip so this weekend. I've never been to Hayward Road and that has my interest. We might also go to Yakima Rim, Whiskey Disk or Manastash. Hope to see ya on the trail. - marta

Larry

Larry
PostThu May 08, 2003 10:47 am 
marta wrote:
We probably won't be over there until the snow melts but who knows. We need to do an Eastern WA trip so this weekend. I've never been to Hayward Road and that has my interest. We might also go to Yakima Rim, Whiskey Disk or Manastash. Hope to see ya on the trail. - marta
Hayward is great, Marta.