Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ingalls Creek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSun May 04, 2003 6:59 pm 
I took my son Ben (age 6) on the Ingalls Creek trail in a vain attempt to get away from the rain. The temperature was pleasant, and we stayed dry for the first half of the hike. I let Ben lead and he set a decent pace. We stopped at some rocks to draw, and continued to an interesting spot by the creek where the rain began. Getting out the emergency parka gave Ben a nice sense of adventure. About half the glacier lilies were still blooming, and a few trilliums here and there. Some wood violets and balsamroot, quite a bit of paintbrush. Springbeauty was plentiful, along with a small white flower, I couldn't recognize (2-3 stalks 4-10" high with 3-4 blooms each, pinnate 3-lobed leaves opposite located predominately near the base, 5 3-lobed petals).

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun May 04, 2003 8:20 pm 
How far did you go up the trail? I need to get some photos of Glacier Lilies and Avalanche Lilies this year. I haven't been in the woods much so it may be a good start. That's neat that Ben had a chance to draw. Something of the countryside I'm thinkin'? Thanks, NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSun May 04, 2003 10:04 pm 
We didn't get far, perhaps a mile up the trail. The glacier lilies started right away, but they'll be fading fast at that elevation. I attempted a sketch of the scenery. Ben drew the Earth, and Harry Potter.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
dean brittain

dean brittain
PostMon May 05, 2003 6:35 pm 
Lisa and I did a long dayhike up Ingalls Creek on Saturday. I know nothing about the types of flowers, but we saw many. Mainly the yellow ones. We hiked a half mile past the Falls Creek trail. A little bit before Falls Creek the snow patches started. The open areas near here have great waterfalls cascading down the rocky slopes. I don't know how many campsites are at Falls Creek, but they are all snow covered except for one.

mountain fresh
Ulrich

Ulrich
PostSat May 10, 2003 2:37 pm 
With yesterday's weather forecast for Eastern Washington we took a bit of a gamble to visit Ingalls Creek. Coming down Blewett it started to drizzle and it continued for the first half mile on Ingalls Creek, but nothing our umbrellas couldn't handle. We stopped at Falls Creek. Fields of Glacier Lilies and Trillium. Paintbrushes of two color variations and a few other jewels in between. Except for one hiker coming out not a soul all day, and Bear had been so anxious to show off his new back-pack.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSat May 10, 2003 4:46 pm 
Ulrich---if you want avalanche lilies this year be sure to hit the Chinook pass area in mid-July. The trail right from the parking lot heading south on the PCT along the NE side of Naches Peak is a carpet of them!! Also, that penstemon you showed here...it really looks more like red flowering current to me, but hard to tell. I'm enjoying see you and Newbie Newt getting pumped about the native flora this spring! Way to go! up.gif

Ulrich

Ulrich
PostTue May 13, 2003 6:12 pm 
Alan, your diagnosis was correct. My photo, erroneously labeled by me as 'Glandular Penstemone' is Redflower current, Ribes Sanguinem. I saw alot of them today on the Iron Goat trail.