Forum Index > Trip Reports > Roza Overlook 4/14 - 4/15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
matai

matai
PostTue Apr 17, 2007 10:05 pm 
So I took my girlfriend for a supposedly fun and easy overnighter along the Yakima Skyline Ridge trail. We had a hard time finding the right road, i think durr road is what it was. Once we found it we followed it all the way down a canyon where there was a river running through it. I couldn't pass it in my car so we turned around and eventually found the South Trailhead, which I "think" is the same as the Roza Overlook trail?? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Anywho we started up the trail and ended up at the top around the old wood posts that look like they were once a corral. We setup my brand new REI Half-Dome I just bought and made camp overlooking the dam. It was really windy and a lot colder than i thought it'd be but we made do. It was a fun and scenic hike, I wanted to do a much longer distance but over more flatish ground. Does anybody know the distance and elevation gain between the trailhead and that first real summit?? I know you can keep going, but that's we're we ended up. I'll be happy to post pictures once I get em sized up.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Apr 18, 2007 8:53 am 
There are about 5 false summits from Durr Rd. My first time at Yakima rim was on a fairly hot day. We climbed up, up, up, and were all excited about the summit, but no, we weren't there yet. So we kept going. Yay, here it is! Nope. Again. Again... After about the 4th false summit, we decided to take a break for a few minutes. Just then a big cloud covered the sun and we both layed down in the trail and fell asleep. That was pretty funny. It was during the week, so no one else was around. anyway, we finally got up there. It's difficult to say how far (I dont' have a map handy) because of the constant stopping and gawking, but RT it's less than an average dayhike.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
jasonracey

jasonracey
PostThu Apr 19, 2007 1:01 pm 
Wow reading your TR was funny because I could have written pretty much the exact same TR from a trip I made to that location back in 1999. I even had the same tent.