Forum Index > Trip Reports > Beacon Hill 4-18-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Feets-hert

Feets-hert
PostThu Apr 19, 2007 1:09 am 
Hard to imagine that many people in the Spokane area have not yet bested the hill at John H. Shields Park, but I thought I'd share a TR anyhow. Living only about 3 minutes away, I decided to get out for an afternooner at Beacon. I headed into the array of "trails" from the eastern parking area and quickly got a bit discouraged at the dead-ends. -note to self (and anyone who hasn't been to Beacon), park at the western lot to find the right trail- I use the word trail loosely here because as Trailjunky informed me prior to my trek "just kinda go upward and you'll get there."
on the way up
on the way up
After about a 1/2 mile or so the trail becomes a bit more distinct, but all through there are mountain bike trails intersecting each other. The surrounding geography however makes it pretty hard to get lost. After gaining a few feet in elevation views of the Spokane Valley open up, and the higher you go the better they are. The main "up" of the hike comes about 1/2 mile before gaining the ridge and getting to enjoy some nice panoramic views of the city.... ...and a Spokanistan parking lot!
who knew there'd be parking at the top?
who knew there'd be parking at the top?
The other side of the top gets you a peak at downtown
Downtown Spokane
Downtown Spokane
After a few pics, a drink and running into a couple of dirt bikers shakehead.gif I started back down only to take a wrong turn and spook a good size white tail doe. Obviously not expecting this I didn't have my camera at the ready. As the deer scrutinized my every move at a distance of about 15 yards, I fumbled with my camera bag as calmly as I could, hoping she wouldn't run off. Unfortunately she did, but I thought maybe I'd keep the camera out just in case. That's what I get for making too much noise....
see the little white tail?
see the little white tail?
I came across the deer again about 30 yards down the trail and snapped a picture - albeit a poor one.
Grainy and magnified
Grainy and magnified
Funny that I can get so much deeper into the wilderness, a hundred miles from civilization and the only wildlife I see is a tick, then come to a city park and get so much more! At around 2.5 miles and 650 feet of gain, Beacon is a nice training trail if nothing else. The view is worth making the short trip up, if you can get past the dirt bikes and the demolished abandoned cars!

Muh feets hert, but I keeps on mashin.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostThu Apr 19, 2007 9:29 am 
Nice TR. up.gif Yesterday sure was a nice weather day for getting out, wish i could have joined you. The grainy picture of the deer almost looks like a painting, cool. up.gif

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostThu Apr 19, 2007 11:35 am 
I thought this was a TR for someone walking to Beacon Hill in Seattle.......

Spotly

Spotly
PostThu Apr 19, 2007 3:29 pm 
That's my five times per week exercise hill. We were out there yesterday too. Didn't do the hike till after climbing though.

Feets-hert

Feets-hert
PostThu Apr 19, 2007 4:44 pm 
wish you could've been out too TJ. After the first weekend in May we'll definitely get in some trips!

Muh feets hert, but I keeps on mashin.