Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Mainstream media seeks LNT violation reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 11:27 am 
The Seattle Times is seeking input: https://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdoors/reader-callout-seen-evidence-of-bad-behavior-in-the-great-outdoors-send-us-your-photos/ To what end, who knows. I suppose any effort at consciousness-raising can't hurt.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 2:40 pm 
It had crossed my mind but don't want to revisit that awful episode. mad.gif Though what counts is how it looks this year, once it's melted out. Maybe someone going up this summer can inspect and send pics.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 3:45 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
To what end, who knows.
To avoid sending out real journalists who might get wet, dirty, and tired?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 5:26 pm 
Seventy2002 wrote:
Anne Elk wrote:
To what end, who knows.
To avoid send out real journalists who might get wet, dirty, and tired?
More likely to avoid having to pay real journalists. Why pay a photographer when you can get pictures for free? Suckers!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 6:16 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Why pay a photographer when you can get pictures for free? Suckers!
Back when I was a starving student the Seattle Times paid $25 for spot news photos. Adjusted for inflation, that's equivalent to over 150 of today's dollars.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jun 08, 2019 6:59 am 
The Wenatchee World paid me $5 for a flood picture. That was back a few years and seemed fair at the time.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Jun 08, 2019 11:05 am 
The question as to why a newspaper would ask readers to contribute photos for something like this is no mystery if you just stop to think about it. Sending out a staff photographer to document these sorts of things would take a very long time to gather photos of all the various places and circumstances; desert, forest, alpine, river valley and tp blooms, trash, graffiti, vandalism, illegal fire rings. To what end? The blurb states plainly they are planning an upcoming article on violations of LNT ethics. This is not a journalistic attempt to subvert society or anything. *bigWHYgrins* Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 9:35 am 
I don't have any objections to the Seattle Times asking their readers to contribute photographs for a project. I do, however, question the potential effectiveness of publishing an article in the Seattle Times to show its readers examples of "bad behavior" in the outdoors. Do you suppose the Casey Nockets of the world are perusing articles about "bad behavior" in the outdoors in the Seattle Times? Or the idiot who thought it appropriate to paint pictures on a 10-inch Douglas Fir out near the far end of Pt. Defiance Park? Or the countless morons who deface public areas, crap all over public beaches, or build fire rings on the shores of alpine lakes? I am curious as to exactly what the Seattle Times hopes to accomplish. Will posting photos of what stupid people have left behind for the rest of us to clean up change their aberrant behavior?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 13, 2019 10:11 am 
It may. After all, the known outcome of doing nothing, is no change I get your point for sure, but reminders are good too.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers