Forum Index > Trip Reports > Badger Mtn (tri cities) Flower show
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Apr 25, 2007 9:07 pm 
I thought I'd take a hike after work today and see what the flowers were doing on Badger Mtn. I enjoy the Balsam Root and Lupine show that spring brings. As some of you may be aware, the local citizens raised the money necessary to save Badger Mtn from development and it has given some of us a chance to use the mountain for our conditioning and enjoy the seasonal changes that occur. Spring of course is my favorite time during the flower show and before the heat hits.
Looking down at the new park. The parking area is just beyond but you can also see the development taking place in the area. Thank goodness the mountain itself was saved from development. Notice the phlox everywhere on the lower slopes. An erratic? Now that I've been reading Bruce Bjornstad's great book "On the Trail of the Ice Age Floods", I'm seeing erratics everywhere, even when they are not an erratic. There is a 100 ton erratic that is 15 feet high not far from Badger Mtn. Get the book, it is terrific. C'mon tri city members, get up there before the flower show is over. wink.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostWed Apr 25, 2007 9:25 pm 
Beautiful area for flowers, Dean! up.gif I'm especially a sucker for lupine and phlox.

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message