Forum Index > Trail Talk > Whatcha going to climb this weekend? - Need ideas......
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 7:48 pm 
Hey there folks! Just curious what is on everyone's agenda if they are going to go climbing. I have taken an oath to stay away from Pilchuck for at least 2 weeks. Interested in ideas for good winter hikes that involve interesting spots/cruxes. Nothing with horrible exposure and good potential for low avalanche danger. Has anyone done Persis in the winter? I hear that is okay. I don't want to travel too far as well, so I-90 corridor/Mtn Loop/ or Hwy 2 would be cool. Thanks for any info, and I still want to know where you are going

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 8:17 pm 
Hey Scott. I did my climbing today because the weekend is supposed to have another weather system moving in. Went up Revolution, solo, because no one took me up on the hiking opportunity. Minimal avalanche risk on Revolution. Just under 5,000 feet of gain makes for a good nights sleep. A friend of mine climbed Persis in the winter. Had to bivy up there though. Iron Mt up the North Fork of Sky is forgiving with bad weather because a good deal of the route is on logging road. I did it as a winter climb last year and wrote it up with WTA. Not much avalanche risk with the route I describe.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 8:35 pm 
Scott said, "I have taken an oath to stay away from Pilchuck for at least 2 weeks." The Pilchuck Angel may get mad at you for that ya know! When she has bitten you so, she expects you to knock upon her door as much as possible... for mountains spirits and mountain angles are alive ya know, they enter your being and soul, much like that of a beautiful-enchanting loving woman, a power that steals ones heart, lives there, in almost every man at one time or another . . . be careful not to shun her <grin>.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 9:01 pm 
Pilchuck is unduly maligned. Like Rainier it has its overused 10% that gets hammered with 90% of the visitation. Might I recommend a south-side incursion? Or a snowshoe probe into the frozen bathtubs?

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostThu Jan 17, 2002 10:16 pm 
lopper - email me scott@nwog.org

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Jan 18, 2002 8:19 am 
Hey Scott. Is there a kiosk with free hot cocoa at the top of Pilchuck or do you get vtrail-miles for climbing it so often?

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostFri Jan 18, 2002 11:24 am 
Starbucks just opened last month up there, didn't you know?

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Jan 18, 2002 11:44 am 
Scott. Too funny! If I gave you a photo of me could you put me on top of Nooksack Tower? Maybe even have Fred Beckey next to me?

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 7:47 am 
Not so much what i'm gonna do but what I did I guess. Went to BC and bought out MEC with my cert. another REI but fun. Musta been 6-7 outfitters in a 2 block area. Outfitters row I called it. Got a late start up to Mt. Seymour and did some shoeing up towards Old Dog. Was in the clouds and snowing good most of the time. Not good visibility. The parking was full with skiers and boarders but the trails were pretty vacant. Didn't quite make it to the end (darn)as it was getting dark. Was a moderate hike and one of the prettiest I've been on in a while. Will try again sometime during the week. Exchange rate was .61 on the $ Border is a piece of cake if you go 539 and have the necessary papers. NN:)

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 9:38 am 
I went up Avalanche Mountain on Friday with a person who had never been on snowshoes. Took us 3 hours one way and about 2 hours return with about 45 minutes on top. There is barely any avalanche potential the whole way. We did not need snowshoes until we reached the Source Lake basin becuase the trail was packed down hard by previous visitors. Avalanche mountain is peak 5360+ just east of Snow Lake at Snoqualmie Pass.

Art is an adventure.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 7:47 pm 
Snowshoed up to Murphy Lakes on Saturday. Polarbear, I can assure you that MSR snowshoes have plenty of floatation in deep snow... as long as Beave or Randy are breaking trail for you wink.gif. Here are the rest of the pictures in case anyone is interested. BTW Stefan, what the heck are you talking about? There is no 5360+ just east of Snow Lake that I am aware of.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jan 21, 2002 9:05 pm 
Tom. It is the peak which drains to Thunder Creek on its eastern flank. The map doesn't list the elevation. That route is a good way to get to Goldmyer in the winter as Rock Creek is steep and Red Pass has too much avalanche potential.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Jan 23, 2002 4:21 pm 
So what are people doing this weekend? Where ya folks going hiking, snowshoeing, and/or skiing? I'm just curious...trying to spark some hiking talk.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Jan 23, 2002 4:38 pm 
I am planning on climbing Low Mt. It is NE of Granite on the USGS Snoqualmie Pass map. It is marked by its name. Approach will be via Denny Creek.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed Jan 23, 2002 5:03 pm 
Sounds like a fun trip. I've done Granite via the outlet of Denny Lake, but not as a winter trip.