Forum Index > Trail Talk > Whatcha going to climb this weekend? - Need ideas......
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
avalanche al

avalanche al
PostWed Jan 23, 2002 9:24 pm 
"AVALANCHE MOUNTAIN" is one mile NW of Snoqualmie Mtn and 0.8 mile ENE of Snow Lake, an unnamed 5360+ peak on the Snow Lake-Rock Creek-Thunder Creek divide. It was so named since (1) avalanches make the sound of "snow thunder" or "rock thunder" and (2) the Source Lake basin, just south, is famous for this trecherous phenomenon--of both the snow and rock varieties, which have killed several people in this area.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jan 23, 2002 9:46 pm 
Thanks alvalanche al. Just wondering if you were reading that text from a book? If so, which one. Always looking for books with tidbits like that.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
avalanche al

avalanche al
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 12:52 am 
Read it in Pack & Paddle a few years ago.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 9:13 am 
OK, avalanche danger's pretty high everywhere @ the moment. Anyone got suggestions for somewhere that's fairly safe to hike or snowshoe? I'd like to get out this Saturday possibly if I don't ski. Anyone possibly interested in joining me?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jan 24, 2002 9:39 am 
I will be in the Twisp area this weekend snowshoeing. I haven't decided if I will go overnight to Battle Mountain or do some easy day trips......

Art is an adventure.
scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostFri Jan 25, 2002 11:14 pm 
See you on Mailbox if anyone wants to join, should be leaving the lot at 8am or so. That avalanche danger is looking bad tomorrow, but Sunday gets a little better, so Mailbox is always a good call. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Saturday..... Southwest winds should further decrease on Saturday, with snow showers, and greatly cooling temperatures. This should allow previous slab layers to begin to partly stabilize. New snow layers are somewhat more likely to be stable due to decreasing snow densities. But slab layers are also likely to linger on many steep slopes, especially northeast to southeast or cross loaded aspects. Natural avalanches should still be possible Saturday, with a higher probability of human triggered avalanches. Persons who chose to travel in the back country Saturday will probably find deep snow conditions, should use great caution near avalanche terrain, especially near and west of the Cascade crest. Remember that safe travel techniques include periodic snow stability evaluation and one at a time travel on steeper slopes, and that signs of instability include cracking snow or instability on smaller test slopes. Outlook for Sunday.... Light snow showers should decrease and end Sunday, with clearing in the north Cascades and Olympics by later Sunday, at cold temperatures. This should continue to allow previous slab layers to partly stabilize. New snow layers are should be light enough by Sunday to not cause a new avalanche danger. Slab layers are likely to linger on some steep lee slopes. Backcountry travelers should continue to use great caution near avalanche terrain on Sunday.

catwoman

catwoman
PostSat Jan 26, 2002 10:19 am 
You going Sunday to Mailbox? Is Mailbox low on avalanche terrain? What lot will you be leaving around 8am?

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostSat Jan 26, 2002 5:25 pm 
We went to mailbox today. (Saturday) Real icy with fresh snow on the main trail. Bring insteps or full crampons. Snowshoes not necessary until you break outta the trees at 4600'. After that it is deep snow, and the final summit push has snow covered talus slopes, as the wind has blow it all away. Very windy and snowy though made it more challenging. Mailbox is covered in deep snow. Beware of the cornice!

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostSat Jan 26, 2002 11:47 pm 
To Mike Collins: I'd be interested to hear about your Low Mtn foray. About 4 years ago, son#2 and I snowshoed up there using the "outlet express" route up to Denny Lake from the Melakwa trail side. It is a bit shorter than going over the shoulder of Granite Mtn, I think. We got stormed off shortly after fluffing across Denny Lake and starting up the south ridge. What was really cool was the almost musical hissing and booming of the wind as it mowed through the tall old growth up there. I had a pair of late 70's Sherpa Featherweights, and they started coming apart on me on the steep descent. A nice spot for a lake and peak views, and a good chance of having the whole place to yourself.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 6:23 am 
Hey Lopper, The route you took is exactly the route which I will follow. Just past the footbridge over Denny Creek I will travel due west staying to the north of Denny Lake's outflow creek. Then when at the lake go NE on the Low Mt ridge. This seems to be the most direct route and will hopefully be in the protection of trees for most, if not all of the route. The Granite Mt swing around approach brought me pnto the exposed slopes of that mountain in addition to being longer. Great screenname. Do you work on a trail crew?

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostSun Jan 27, 2002 5:14 pm 
I started carrying lightweight bypass loppers on some of my hikes several years ago.....when I was headed into places where I knew I'd be on sketchy or abandoned trails. I've not worked on an official trail crew since Sept 78 on the PCT near the E. Daniel Ford. Freelance is more to my liking. Good luck on the Low Mtn trip. That route up Denny Lake's outlet may be a real fluff-waddle in current conditions.