Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Paradise in late May
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scouter
Sandwich bagger

Scouter
Sandwich bagger
PostMon May 05, 2003 10:44 pm 
I'm thinking of taking the wife to Paradise Lodge for our anniversary here in a couple of weeks. Not having been to Rainier in my 28 years of living in Washington, I don't know quite what to expect for scenery. I can take the comments about not going to Rainier in 28 years, so flame on. huh.gif Will everything still be under huge drifts of melting snow, or is there stuff worth seeing? The wife is not much of a hiker, so that's not a prime concern. Should I go for it, or plan something else and try Paradise later in the season?

Each human spirit is immortal-for time cannot destroy whatever element within us reverences the glory of a dawn in the mountains. -- Dervla Murphy
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue May 06, 2003 12:06 am 
If you're gonna do Paradise, wait until late July. Snow will be gone, and the wildflowers will be at their apex. If you have to go in May, do Longmire Lodge instead...great views right off the front porch, and snow shouldn't be a problem until you get up towards the Nisqually River bridge.

catwoman

catwoman
PostTue May 06, 2003 7:15 am 
I would suggest choosing something other than the Paradise Lodge for your accomodations. Pricey with not so great of accomodations. I can't find it, but there was an article somewhere about this.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue May 06, 2003 9:04 am 
Paradise in May has snow.

Art is an adventure.
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue May 06, 2003 10:20 am 
First, being here for 28 years and never going to Rainier is heresy. That's all I have to say about that. wink.gif For me, there are things to see at Rainier any time of year, snow or not. I've been in all four seasons and have always found enough nice scenery to spend the time. But it really depends what you want to do while you're there. If you want to see beautiful things, then May is fine. If you want to hike, you may want to wait until summer or fall. And I disagree with Catwoman about Paradise Lodge. It was a great experience staying there, and while it was more than a normal hotel room without some of the amenities, the experience was worth the money. I'd definitely recommend it for occasions like anniversaries.

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue May 06, 2003 7:35 pm 
I stayed there once as a teenager. It's a great place with plenty of day hikes. The inn itself it neat. Being snowed in there might be ok, but I'd save it for July-September. I wonder if Crater Lake Natl. Park might be a good destination in May?

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed May 07, 2003 12:21 am 
polarbear wrote:
I wonder if Crater Lake Natl. Park might be a good destination in May?
That would be a big negatory. The rim drive usually doesn't even open until the end of June, and the Hotel I believe sometime shortly after (in an average snowpack year...this year may be an exception).