Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Sharing your Glacier observations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostFri Aug 24, 2007 3:03 pm 
I've been doing it at three week intervals and will continue that till water levels in the Stilly rise. Unfortunately, a Photoshop program glitch cost me my originals from 07-25-07 before I'd copied an avalanche cone pic to my files. For the future, I'll follow your advice and pick a spot out in the open as a "base". I've been shooting from the trail and the growth of brush forced me to change locations. edit - I've been "marking" a key fault line in the cliff in these comparative photos. Is that useful, or would you rather see the pics without the amendments?

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
peltoms

peltoms
PostSun Aug 26, 2007 4:53 am 
Scrooge I overlaid your pics from July and August in photoshop. This is harder when the viewpoint and camera settings are not exactly the same. Usually you see pics side by side, but to get an idea of change this is a better method for quantification.
bigfour2 copy
bigfour2 copy
. A picture a month from now and you will have captured the summer volume change. Great work thanks.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Sep 04, 2007 11:37 am 
B4 avalanche cone update, 09-02-07
Peltoms, it occurred to me that this isn't a good time to change the base for my shots, so I tried to shoot from the same spot on the trail as last time. Here are two different versions of the same pic.
B4 avalanche cone, 09-02-07 .......... approximately the same scale as the first two comparative pics
B4 avalanche cone, 09-02-07 .......... approximately the same scale as the first two comparative pics
B4 avalanche cone, 09-02-07 ....... approximately the same scale as your composit (above)
B4 avalanche cone, 09-02-07 ....... approximately the same scale as your composit (above)
There may not be enough change between this photograph and the one from 08-14-07 to measure, although there actually was a fair amount of loss both at the top and along the base. In any event, it looks like we'll be heading into the winter season with a healthy start on renewing the Big Four Glacier (fingers crossed).

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
mike

mike
PostTue Sep 04, 2007 1:15 pm 
Here is a comparison of one of my old slides with a new photo just posted by Martin. Taken from the summit of Luna Pk
edit:Trying to date the old slide it could be as early as 1977 first trip to Luna or another trip about ten years later. From the amount of melting I suspect the former.

peltoms

peltoms
PostTue Sep 04, 2007 3:35 pm 
Wow Mike that is an amazing change in the glacier that I call the North Fury Glacier. The entire center section is gone. The glacier above Luna Lake is more typical with notable but not a wholesale change. This is an excellent example of the change that is ongoing.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Sep 04, 2007 3:48 pm 
Peltoms, I haven't had a chance to read the latest Washington Trails magazine, but a quick glance indicates an article by you this month, no? I got home late last night & quickly glanced at my mail; will read it tonight!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
mike

mike
PostTue Sep 04, 2007 4:05 pm 
Quote:
Wow Mike that is an amazing change in the glacier that I call the North Fury Glacier. ...
Thanks for assuming the ice is melting fast and it's not me that's old. biggrin.gif

peltoms

peltoms
PostWed Sep 05, 2007 5:11 am 
Mike your only as old as you act, so I assume you are young still. Quark I hae not seen the article, but I did write this one, though it was just a first draft, there was going to be an added section explaining access to a couple of key spots to view the glaciers. Then while I was working on the glaciers, they decided to publish it as is. So I never did get to look over the final version before it went to press. smile.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Sep 05, 2007 1:19 pm 
peltoms, I read this action-packed article during my lunch hour today. Great information; interesting. It oepns the eye that glaciers are an intricate part of our planet, and are a whole realm of nature and science. Hikers have yet more intriguing things to think about when they’re outdoors. To me, hiking isn’t just stomping one boot in front of the other – it’s thinking, noticing, exploring, learning. Thank you for taking the time to write an article for laypersons like me.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Sep 05, 2007 2:11 pm 
In a different thread, Lowell Skoog said
Quote:
Last May I joined John and Irene Meulemans and Gary Rose, backcountry skiers with more than fifty years experience each, on a day trip to Artist Point at Mt Baker. We were brought together by a production crew from KIRO-TV in Seattle working on a one-hour special about climate change in the Northwest. For a trip report about our outing, click here
I followed that link back several steps and came across Greg Louie's amzing picture of where the Paradise Glacier used to be.
Paradise Basin, May, 2004 (from TurnsAllYear)
Paradise Basin, May, 2004 (from TurnsAllYear)
See link below to a dated collection of Paradise Ice Cave photos ....... what the basin looked like not so long ago. frown.gif http://glaciercaves.com/html/mount_rainier_photos.html While I was rooting around through the back up stuff, I also found this old pic of the Pinnacle Glacier (for comparison with my more recent pic).
Group of Mountaineers at the base of the Pinnacle Glacier in 1925.
Group of Mountaineers at the base of the Pinnacle Glacier in 1925.
My 2005 pic of what remains of the Pinnacle "Glacier"
My 2005 pic of what remains of the Pinnacle "Glacier"
That 2005 pic was taken after the winter with no snow. I'm sure all the glacial ice will be gone, but there's probably a more substantial accumulation of snow, now, after the last two winters. Think I'll go down Friday and find out. biggrin.gif agree.gif

peltoms

peltoms
PostThu Sep 06, 2007 5:11 am 
Great idea get up there Friday, see if you can get a shot like the earlier with Rainier in the background. The snow in your 2005 shot is just snowpack not some relict glacier material. Have you seen the book Mountain that god, published in 1911, about Mount Rainier? It has some great historic shots that can be replicated.

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostMon Sep 10, 2007 4:52 pm 
Sorry to go off the subject. But not the topic. You can take this article for what it's worth, as it comes from the Gaurdian. But it's interesting in a Day After Tomorow kind of way. http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2007/sep/08/climatechange

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Sep 10, 2007 7:44 pm 
Excerpt from the Guardian article
Quote:
The glacier is now moving at 15km a year into the sea although in surges it moves even faster. He measured one surge at 5km in 90 minutes - an extraordinary event.
......... suuure.gif .......... Call me skeptical.

peltoms

peltoms
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 9:02 am 
Having worked on the neighboring Jakobshavns Glacier, these glaciers do not surge and they are pretty consistent at moving the same speed. They are too huge to accelerate quickly what force would do that, also what force could then slow them down. So Scrooge you are right on. i was skeptical before getting to that statement when I saw a name I have never heard of before as being the observer. The fellow clearly was did not understand glaciers.

Lowell_Skoog

Lowell_Skoog
PostThu Sep 20, 2007 1:24 pm 
Here are a couple of photo pairs showing the Honeycomb Glacier near Glacier Peak. The first pair is a comparison of aerial views by Austin Post (1960, left) and John Scurlock (2005, right). I believe both these pictures are available on the NCGCP website, but I haven't seen them paired this way:
The second pair shows the Honeycomb Glacier from ground level. The top picture (1977) is from the NCGCP website. I don't know who took it. The bottom picture (2006) was taken by me last summer.
Mauri, if you'd like a clean copy of my 2006 Honeycomb Glacier picture, let me know and I'll mail it to you. The Honeycomb Glacier has become my top choice for "most amazing glacier change" in the North Cascades.