Forum Index > Trail Talk > Halter tops
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostThu May 08, 2003 9:26 pm 
After I broke up with my boyfriend my dad (who is kinda old-fashioned about some things and loves me very much cool.gif ) went through a VERY long "you need a man to take care of you..." stage moon.gif dizzy.gif BAH! I've taken to not telling him about solo hikes until I get back. He doesn't freak out that way. He always feels better even if its "just another girl going with me." SHEESH! rolleyes.gif If I'm talking to him and still walking, everything is okay. (dad's one of my best hiking buddies btw)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu May 08, 2003 10:15 pm 
I'm surprised at how few people -- male or female -- are afraid to hike alone, or even drive. When I talk about my frequent hikes and roadtrips at work, the first question I always get is "You went by yourself?!", as if it's completely unfathomable. And this is from 20- and 30-somethings. Damn right I went by myself! It looks like it's contagious, too. My mom's in her mid-50s and up until I moved here from Texas a few years ago she'd never think of doing things like that by herself. Now just a few years later, she's making annual solo roadtrips across the country to visit, each time checking out a different area. This year is Yosemite and the redwoods. up.gif

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostFri May 09, 2003 12:05 am 
I decided about a year or so ago that I was going to do the things that I wanted to do (not just hiking), even if that meant that sometimes doing it alone. Know what? I have a lot more fun and get to do a lot more things now! And solo hiking is great! You get your own schedule, see more wildlife, get to stop when you want, no compromises (except with yourself). biggrin.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri May 09, 2003 12:12 am 
Excellent attitude! up.gif I have things I want to do, and if I can get someone to do them with me, then great. But I'm not going to let it stop me if I can't! There are times even when I prefer to go alone, purely because of the freedom to change my plans at the last minute, or do something crazy...like spend sunrise and sunset for 3 days in a row at the Painted Hills in hopes of getting at least one sunbreak for photos. I'd never do that! angel.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 09, 2003 2:42 am 
Hiking alone is certainly better than not going at all! I've done so many solo hikes I couldn't count them. That said, going (read sharing) with someone, or a few people is BETTER! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
tasslehouf

tasslehouf
PostFri May 09, 2003 6:10 am 
A female friend of mine suggests using a good sports bra and loose fitting tee shirts. That should take away the chafing. However in my opinion I don't know how well that'd do for moisture management but as long as you're not too concerned about that it shouldn't matter. I once had a water bottle on the front strap of my pack and with every step it'd pinch my nipple slightly. I guess this might be ok if I were female however it just made me sleepy. I have weird reactions I suppose. dizzy.gif

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostFri May 09, 2003 10:24 pm 
What can I say...I like seeing women in halter tops. I'd be a liar if I said I didn't... McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 13, 2003 9:13 am 
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA men to that one McPil!!! winksmile.gif agree.gif winksmile.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln