Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Townsend (ONP) 4-28-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostTue May 01, 2007 1:14 am 
Well, this will actually be two trip reports, and we'll try to keep them a bit briefer than our last few... biggrin.gif We had an idea for doing trip reports, as it seems like it might be confusing who is doing the narrating. We decided to start a he said/she said trip report style, with anything Jeremy narrates or says being in italics. We'll see how it goes... As a tribute to TNAB, we decided to name our many after work excursions RTD's - or Race the Darkness hikes! (We always get a late start, even on weekends, as we hit the snooze bar one too many times.) On Thursday, 4/26, we checked out the East Little Quilcene/Little River Summit Trailhead to Mt Townsend to try out our new snowshoes that we hadn't got to try at the Mt St Helens anti-social. At about 1 mile before the trailhead, we had to park as we encountered some heavy snow pack on the road. We headed out, nevertheless, and had a good time breaking in the new snowshoes. The snow on the trail was very thick, there were a lot of times when one snowshoe would fall down the trail, making for some awkward poses. I definitely would not recommend Townsend from this particular approach without snowshoes for now.
Snowy road
Snowy road
For AB
For AB
Awkward fall
Awkward fall
Horny clouds
Horny clouds
Sea of clouds
Sea of clouds
We stopped at Sleepy Hollow, just before the junction, and raced the darkness back to the car. Had to say we really liked the Atlas snowshoes. We vowed to return to attempt the summit this weekend! Saturday came, and we headed out to the Tubal Cain/West side of the Little Quilcene trail. Even though it was 1000' lower starting elevation than the other side of the trail, the trail quickly gains that 1000 feet difference in the first stretch. (Ouch says the calves and glutes smackbum.gif) It looked like it was precipitating over in the Silver Creek Valley, but we soon discovered that is was actually snowing on us as well.
Snow in Silver Creek Valley
Snow in Silver Creek Valley
Tisha being a shutterbug
Tisha being a shutterbug
Why is snow like catnip to our dogs?
Why is snow like catnip to our dogs?
Snowing
Snowing
More catnip snow
More catnip snow
Kiefer and more catnip snow
Kiefer and more catnip snow
We hit snow at about 5000', but we kept waiting to put on the snowshoes. We hit the junction with the Mt Townsend summit trail and saw bootprints that encouraged us that maybe we would make it the summit after all. There were a few tricky spots as the trail wandered along the west side of the ridge (side hilling!), but the way was easier than we expected.
Kicksteps for Yet!
Kicksteps for Yet!
It snowed on us pretty good for awhile, which worried us a little, but it pretty much stopped as soon as it began. After a bit, the bootprints stopped, but we kept on the obvious path through the trees. We were soon cresting the open and foggy area of the summit, where the whippets went wild!
Foggy way ahead
Foggy way ahead
Rowena snow plow
Rowena snow plow
Snow drop nose
Snow drop nose
Making whippet snow angels
Making whippet snow angels
Cloudy Summit
Cloudy Summit
Mt Townsend summit
Mt Townsend summit
After 15 minutes at the summit of eating snacks, taking calendar pictures (see Sexiest Men of NW Hikers thread), and generally freezing our bums off down.gif, we started back down. Wouldn't you know, the clouds started to part and the peaks came out? Curse you, mother nature for playing jokes on us like that!
The clouds part
The clouds part
Clouds from Townsend
Clouds from Townsend
Jeremy on side of Townsend
Jeremy on side of Townsend
Jeremy and view to Silver Creek valley
Jeremy and view to Silver Creek valley
We headed down the trail leisurely, taking lots of pictures in the better weather and practicing glissading (butt-sliding as we like to call it winksmile.gif ).
Jeremy glissading
Jeremy glissading
Tisha butt-sliding
Tisha butt-sliding
We would definitely recommend going this route right now, even though you have to gain 1000' more. The other way is doable, as well, but snowshoes were needed. Have fun up there and hope you have better weather for views than we did! A few parting shots:
Rowena 'Do I Look Pretty Here?'
Rowena 'Do I Look Pretty Here?'
Tisha takes pics of the valley
Tisha takes pics of the valley
Sequim Valley and the Straits
Sequim Valley and the Straits
I'm gonna jump if I don't make the NW hikers calendar!
I'm gonna jump if I don't make the NW hikers calendar!

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostTue May 01, 2007 1:18 am 
frown.gif Wish I was there.. I love that corner of the oly's. That snow angle pic is great! Keep up with the TR's, Its great to see a bit of the olympics on this site. up.gif

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
Tazz

Tazz
PostTue May 01, 2007 8:15 am 
Good stuff!!! you two crack me up!!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostTue May 01, 2007 9:02 am 
Whoo hoo! Thanks for thinking of me..I will cherish the pic embarassedlaugh.gif Glad you two got to get out and use those snowshoes up.gif Sweet pics and TR biggrin.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
silence

silence
PostTue May 01, 2007 12:37 pm 
good goin' guys -- a favorite spring trip for the rhodies, but in the snow has always been on the list -- drat those expensive ferry rides!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Yet

Yet
PostTue May 01, 2007 2:11 pm 
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
Awkward fall
Awkward fall
That ain't no awkward fall, girl! Looks like a Ms. January shot to me. wink.gif ps: Love the captions! smile.gif

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostTue May 01, 2007 2:24 pm 
I'll have to settle for Ms. February, then! tongue.gif AB already captured the January spot wink.gif
Yet wrote:
The Queen of Arch
The Queen of Arch

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue May 01, 2007 8:18 pm 
So you finally made it! Good for you up.gif up.gif and thanks for the report. I'm going to save that trip for a sunny day...I've already seen it in clouds 3 times! As if you don't already know... your dogs are DELIGHTFUL!!! agree.gif rotf.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostWed May 02, 2007 2:30 pm 
Zachster, you'll have to let us know if you do make it out. We have yet to try the third trailhead - the Sink Lake one, I believe. Yes, definitely a less cloudy day would be awesome - it's a very nice perch up there to see Mt. Constance, etc.
Silver Lakes Basin, Mt Constance on right and on left...
Silver Lakes Basin, Mt Constance on right and on left...
Does anyone know if that is the Brothers on the left?

ScottM

ScottM
PostWed May 02, 2007 4:33 pm 
That would be correct, The Brothers on the left

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostWed May 02, 2007 4:42 pm 
Thank you! up.gif

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostFri May 04, 2007 9:01 pm 
Thanks for the fabulous trip report Schmidt Altitude! I've done Mount Townsend probably about four times; twice in the winter. A few years back I was able to do it in February. There was hardly any snow but little Windy Lake was frozen solid.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.