Forum Index > Trail Talk > Damn Weathermen!  :P
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 11:59 am 
Shoot! It was supposed to rain today! I cancelled snowshoeing plans! How the heck am I actually supposed to accomplish anything at home when it's beautiful outside!? I sure hope the mountains are socked in. rant.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 12:05 pm 
The cascades look clear as a whistle from my house, even Baker. Oh well, looks like a good day to test out the hammock in back yawn.gif.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 5:37 pm 
My God, what weather source are you using? The National Weather Service in Seattle has had a pretty good forecast out for Saturday since at least Thursday afternoon...only mention of rain was for late in the day. Even they aren't nearly as good as private forecasting folks around here who charge for forecasts for growers and farmers in Eastern WA all the way to Napa Valley, but they were right this time! Or, just make your own forecast using web sources the night before any outting...water vapor images and so on will tell you a great deal except how fast the stuff is moving in on us.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 5:43 pm 
Indeed, it was a beautiful day though I worked up north in Marysville. The mountains looked fantastic: Baker was stunning! Higgins, Whitehorse, Bullon, Three Fingers, Big Bear, Liberty, Pilchuck, and on down to Baring and Index were all magnificent...what a view. Now, I hear it will cloud up and rain for a few?

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 5:49 pm 
Thread drift...on occasion I see I must log back in as a the precious post showed unregistered? Anybody have that problem even when you posted the day before? maybe it's the weather change?

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 5:55 pm 
It was an awesome day snowshoeeing! We went up near Surprise Lake by Stevens Pass. Blue skies, great snow, and good company. Too bad McPilchuck had to work. We thought of you, and I thought of my friends that went up Pilchuck today, and can't wait to hear how it went! What to do tomorrow?...................... I know! Granite Mtn!

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 7:00 pm 
Made it to just above 7,000' by taking the chairlift at Crystal. A good wind up there and lots of spindrift flowing down the glaciers on Rainier. Maybe if they would put a chairlift on Pilchuck I would go up there.

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 10:10 pm 
Too late for Pilchuck, Mike. Maybe 25 years ago. Hey, the snow up Mason Lake area was fluffy, not stuffy today.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 10:35 pm 
Yeah, the Mt Pilchuck Ski Area. My scout troop snow-camped next to one of the highest lift pylons in 1971. (April) It was closed for the season at the time, and closed for good the next year if I remember right. Can't blame the weathermen. They look at the same satellite photos as everybody else. That would be a hellish job--wearing a suit on camera and having to stretch thimble-fulls of data to fill 8 or 9 onscreen minutes (with giggly banter of course.) If you live around here, you learn to drop plans and GO when the weather turns nice. Today was a last-minute snowshoe up the Palisades Trail off 410. We got bombed by sun-loosened snow clumps and drips..... Perfect conditions for sloppy, big-stepping switchback cutting. Excellent lenticulars downstream from Rainier all afternoon.

catwoman

catwoman
PostSat Feb 02, 2002 10:57 pm 
Yes, I know about the last minute thing. Do that all the time - particularly in summer - which is why I end up having to go by myself so much. However, this weekend's snowshoe trip was with someone who doesn't happen to own a pair of snowshoes so has to rent. Plus she was trying to arrange it so another friend of hers could go. So, the plans got put off, because of the weather reports, for Sunday. Hopefully weather will be good to us tomorrow. smile.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Feb 03, 2002 1:44 am 
Ole Lopper looks like he's got a pic of Twin lakes there. That is a beautiful hike. Great vistas going in, great lakes. Bummer of a road march though!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostSun Feb 03, 2002 7:58 am 
Can't blame the weatherman? HA! Maybe if they didn't give the forecast like it was cast in stone, maybe if they didn't forecast 4-6 days out even saying what the weather on the afternoon of the 5th day will be like, maybe if they admitted how often they are wrong, maybe if they told you that during the typical variable weather conditions of the Pacific NW it's not possible to forecast with much hope of accuracy more than 24 hours out - then I wouldn't blame the weatherman. rant.gif rant.gif rant.gif