Forum Index > Trail Talk > Would There Still Be Good Flowers on the Wahluke Slope?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun May 11, 2003 10:02 am 
It's the locally highest "peak" of the colockum subrange between Mission ridge and Ryegrass pass. E of Eburg and N of Ryegrass pass on I90. It's actually a broad shouldered highish ridgeline. Get off 90 at the kittitas exit, and work N until you're headed E on the old Vantage Highway. Go the the summit of this road, and there's a gate on the N side of the highway and a very nice graded road takes you up on top in a couple minutes. You can also go via Parke Creek and Black rock creek from the W and NW approach, but it's one screwed up rutty rocky gut basher of a road. That's how we went in. You seemingly always find the easy way on the way out!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Larry

Larry
PostSun May 11, 2003 10:22 pm 
Back from Kamiak and points in-between. Awesome. More later.

Larry

Larry
PostMon May 12, 2003 9:59 am 
Larry wrote:
Back from Kamiak and points in-between. Awesome. More later.
The flowers at Kamiak Butte were plentiful and a fantastic variety and "mix" of flowers found in various parts of the state, depending on rainfall and shade characteristics. Alan, thank you very much! An unforgettable place. The 17-mile drive from Palouse to Colfax is another gem. Beautiful rolling wheat-hills and flowers everywhere. The thunderheads in the distance contrasted beautifully with the greens. I took the "back way" to the west, and was richly rewarded with meeting only a few cars on the 160 miles from Colfax to Royal City via the "off track" secondary routes. My route was an eclectic cruise through the "breadbasket" of the Inland Empire, and was a joy. Such towns as Mockonema, Thera, Winona, Benge, Pizarro, Corfu, and Smyrna provided a glimpse into the America of yesterday, each grain elevator looming on the horizon to show the next community. The roads were excellent, and the numerous coulee crossings showed the extent of the great floods from melting ice. Flowers were everywhere, and I stopped at quite a few crossings and hiked around to inspect the land. I finished up by wandering around on Lower Crab Creek and then motoring on to Hayward Hill. Marta was right...the Blue Camas was stunning! Drifts of blue haze all over the place. Thanks again Alan for the great suggestion. It was a soothing couple of days. I'll be repeating it.