Forum Index > Support & Feedback > Hard Drive Replacement
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat May 10, 2003 5:50 pm 
I'm so tight on space that I can't download any more photos. I have a 120gb hd that I want to install. Here's what I had in mind: My existing primary is C & D, OS and programs. My existing slave is E-L drives. Project files etc. I want to use the existing slave as my primary, my existing primary as a slave and the new as a slave. This is due to different size drives. I want a clean install of the OS. My system now has 2 CDRW's, a zip & a floppy. When I try to plug in the new hd to do any work it can't be found. Only when I attach it to the cable where the slave is now. Any ideas as to how to get the info from the primary and slave onto the new hd and then reformat and reinstall the OS onto the existing slave? I prefer to backup absolutly everything at this point and then delete/remove what is reinstalled. I can't burn to cd's as I don't have the required free space to do so. At this point I can't uninstall many programs to free space until things are backed up and I can do the switcherooo, hopefully in one setting. I'm thinking I really need to backup the slave first off. I'm also aware that I'll have to reinstall all my programs after the new primary is installed. I have a feeling this will take a bunch of work. Any help on a more painless switch will be gratefully accepted. Thanks, I'm tired just thinking of it. NN confused.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mb

mb
PostSat May 10, 2003 11:54 pm 
You probably have two IDE controllers, that's pretty normal now. A typical setup with 2 CD type devices is to have one on each controller, maybe as the secondary (slave) device. But you have two hard drives + a zip drive + two other devices and want to add a sixth? How do you have five devices right now? Or do you have one hard drive, a zip drive, and 2 CD drives? Oi. Maybe you can buy a new IDE controller? Or replace the ZIP drive with a USB one and put the new hard drive there? Or get rid of your existing hard drive--unplug a CD drive, put in a new hard drive, install OS, then copy both partitions of the old drives somewhere, then unplug the old drive and plug the CD back in. Too complex for me, I'm not a hardware guy.

Larry

Larry
PostMon May 12, 2003 12:25 pm 
I utilize removeable/swappable hard drives. It has sure worked nicely. Just put the hard drive in a carrier and plug into a permanent rack that is hooked up as a permanently assigned drive. You can go unlimited on this type of setup without worrying about adding additional IDE cards. The rack kits can be had for less than $20. So, right now I'm filling up an 80 gig drive, and I have an empty 80 gig drive waiting that I will simply put in a carrier and plug into where the filled 80 gig drive goes. Also, saves having to fool with a bunch of CDs. Also, very fast data transfer rates. Also easy drag and drop.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon May 12, 2003 5:42 pm 
I can and probably will do without the zip. Not used much anymore. The removable HD sounds neat. My friend has 4 in hers and offered to do the HD backups for me. I'll probably take her up on it. Not much I can do with this ol' 386!! biggrin.gif Thanks NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.