Forum Index > Trail Talk > PCT trail, with in Rainier
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
stocks

stocks
PostSun May 11, 2003 7:21 pm 
hello there people, i am new to this board, i live here out on the east coast. i wanted to know if any one can tell a bit about the part of the PCT trail in the section of Steven cynyon entrance. up to the 3 lakes, were it meets up with the pct trail, from go to chinook pass. if any one can give me any imformation about that would be great, miles, what is like? anything will be a great help

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun May 11, 2003 11:44 pm 
I'm kind of confused. Are you talking about the section between White Pass and Chinook Pass, or from somewhere like Cougar Lake to Chinook Pass?

stocks

stocks
PostMon May 12, 2003 7:17 am 
pct
i would be going up what i think is the laughing water creek trail to were three lakes tentsite is, that trail meet up with the pct. so it would be south of chinook pass. but that were i would stop AT chinook

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostMon May 12, 2003 1:22 pm 
I have never been up the Laughing Water Creek Trail--it looks like a fairly good climb-I suggest you go to the Washington Trails Association website and look at Trip Reports-I seem to remember looking at a few reports there-I've been all over the PCT between there and Chinook-once you reach the PCT there and go N, it's an easy hike, probably the next best campsites are a little ways down the American Ridge trail at American Lake-proceeding past there is Dewey Lake--lots of campsites there-the climb out of Dewey to Chinook is probably the stiffest climb of that segment of trail, but not too tough.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostMon May 12, 2003 2:43 pm 
Three Lakes trail
The hike up to Three lakes is a wide many times used trail. It is not scenic or especially appealing. And the PCT trail that connects with the Three Lakes trail is in forest most of the time. Why are you doing this part of the PCT? Drive a little farther up to Chinook pass and hike the PCT North Or South. Better views, better trail. The Three lakes area doesn't get as much use as other places in the park so that is an attraction I guess, but you can do better. Also the bugs at Three Lakes are very bad, also make sure you have a permit because there used to be a patrol cabin there.

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
stocks

stocks
PostTue May 13, 2003 10:32 am 
thanks for the infor. well i am going to climbing rainier first, then i want to hit a bit of the pct and then hit up with the wonderland trail, i wanted to get a bit of all the things out there.