Previous :: Next Topic
Yet

Yet
PostSun May 13, 2007 9:10 pm 
ADrewzki wrote:
Yet wrote:
- Do not follow the Big Dipper. dizzy.gif - Stay out of the swamps. huh.gif
-Follow the big dipper. -Definitely stay out of the swamps. biggrin.gif
Uh...Andrew dear? I hate to point this out but your byline says "complete moron."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostSun May 13, 2007 9:58 pm 
Yet wrote:
Uh...Andrew dear? I hate to point this out but your byline says "complete moron."
OMG! It does! Oh no!! wink.gif I felt it was fitting at the moment due to the fact that I left the trail on a mountain I was unfamiliar with and didn't turn back when I realized I was lost. It'll change next week. Unless I have a repeat case of stupidity. At which point I will just chalk it up to mental illness and have myself commited so I don't endanger myself anymore.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 14, 2007 10:58 am 
I read this after coming back from the Peninsula for Msday. I was on this mess. A couple things to bear in mind. The "trail is almost due east after leaving the road. The best green trails map has either the trail start or creek wrong as it shows the trail crossing the creek twice when it never crosses (and never has). There are two major trails on an ill defined ridge one left which Larry took and a right one I took. While you think you are switchbacking up a steep slope you are actually traversing as the legs are much longer when going east than west. When on the summit looking down at the Fire center it is easy to think you are looking south when it actually is WSW. It is very difficult to follow a compass bearing on a steep slope in the dark. A GPS unless it has an external antenna is very unreliable here due to the tree cover and steep slope, I have tried. You gin 4000' in 2.5 mi. which is a 40% slope. co for every 100' you drop south down the fall line you get 250' further from the trail. Due to the slope it is extremely difficult to to do a flat travers as you are against the grain of all the fallen logs etc. You will never make it up by doing a descending traverse. The only rational thing is to stop and go back up if you lose the trail. There are many short cliffs and other opportunity's to twist an ankle or break a leg here.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostMon May 14, 2007 11:18 am 
Malachai, I'm looking at my map and the trail doesn't cross any sort of creek or river. I agree though, you will never make it by doing a descending traverse. Also, the training academy is definitely to the SW of the peak (I've penned it in on my map). No broken legs or twisted ankles. Consider us lucky.
Green Trails Map #206
Green Trails Map #206

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostMon May 14, 2007 11:24 am 
Wow, quite a fiesta ya'll had up there! party.gif

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon May 14, 2007 11:41 am 
The map you have does not show the creek the more recent green trails map 206S shows the creek as heading near the gravel pit by the fire center and crossing the trail twice once on the road 1020' then again at about 1150'. I get a compass bearing of 240 from the summit to the fire center.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot

ADrewzki
Snow angels are hot
PostMon May 14, 2007 11:50 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
The map you have does not show the creek the more recent green trails map 206S shows the creek as heading near the gravel pit by the fire center and crossing the trail twice once on the road 1020' then again at about 1150'. I get a compass bearing of 240 from the summit to the fire center.
Hm...looking at the green trails site, it looks like the 206S has a rev date of 2004 and the 206 has a rev date of 2002. Why they don't agree is beyond me. Good to know though. It would seem that the old rev is more accurate on that aspect. Odd.

Tread Well

Tread Well
PostMon May 14, 2007 2:44 pm 
Here is the route that we took on Thursdays hike. I took a slightly different route up and down. I was following others both up and down, so it was not the rum. Tread Well Dave Schultz
Mailbox peak routes
Mailbox peak routes

Let's go for a walk.
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostMon May 14, 2007 3:44 pm 
Admin Note: The contents of this post were lost in a database crash.

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season