Forum Index > Trail Talk > Stonecrop ..... I think
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostSat May 10, 2003 7:33 pm 
Calling all experts -- this is only a scan from a print I took yesterday near Salmon la Sac but is this stonecrop? The photos I've looked at in field guides depict it as yellow but this one was definitely of a reddish hue. Is this something else or the common stonecrop that is yellow? Maybe it's reddish in cash before in full bloom. Just wondering. Karen
stone crop
stone crop

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IBEX

IBEX
PostSat May 10, 2003 10:29 pm 
The ever evolving synthetic oils spewed by the thousands of two cycle, smoke belching snowmobiles and motor cycles that pollute the Cle Elum River Valley yearly will continue its genetic morphing to a degree beyond any imaginable level in plants and animals and even humans. I have seen lately and more frequently that same rusty hue that suffocates life and foams the creeks of the Cascade spring melt. And more prevalent along the winter snowmobile routes and again beside the motorcycle trails of summer. Its disheartening to see that the corporate greed of oil money is systematically devouring the globe by buying the US government, raping the environment and manipulating the military machine toward Arab control or genocide. But the worst part is; to express these views on a public forum can lead to incarceration with out council and be labeled and environmental terrorist. Oops! My politics are showing. Sorry Karen. Now wasn’t there a botanical question here somewhere?

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun May 11, 2003 7:29 am 
Looks like a Stone crop from here. I think there is also a variety that is reddish and it could be that this will have yellow flowers when it opens up. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSun May 11, 2003 9:24 am 
That's a stonecrop (sedum). Those are actually the leaves of the plant and not a flower or bud. The leaves will often be 'bronzed'. Bronzed folage is common in succulant plants and is a reaction to exposure to sun. The flowers will probably be yellow.

Karen

Karen
PostSun May 11, 2003 5:29 pm 
Thanks
Thanks for help in identifying the flower (sedum). I was about 95 percent sure it was stonecrop but I'm no expert. Karen

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun May 11, 2003 8:23 pm 
Saw a bunch of bright yellow Stone Crop in full bloom on the rocks just north of Deception Pass bridges. Couldn't miss em. Lookin' good in full sun. Also saw what appears to be a bright yellow Paint Brush? at Fort Casey. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon May 12, 2003 8:26 am 
There is yellow paintbrush (rare plant!) at Ebey's landing, so I guess that would be possible. Did you take a photo?

Larry

Larry
PostMon May 12, 2003 8:56 am 
There's also some bright yellow paintbrush in the Lost Valley near Sequim, scattered about the pines in the openings.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon May 12, 2003 5:34 pm 
Got photos. I was told this is what it is but after checking the books I'm not so sure. Doesn't really look like it now. I've never seen Paint Brush before it has opened. Take a look see. NN

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon May 12, 2003 8:04 pm 
Doing some searching I came across some links that lead me to believe it may be Golden Paintbrush. That tickles me pink (hehe) and will have to go back to see it in bloom. Golden Paintbrush Ebey's Landing NN

Karen

Karen
PostMon May 12, 2003 8:07 pm 
Help us, Alan, Marta, other experts
Newbie, I looked closely at that flower and can tell you that it is not yellow paintbrush but I can't tell what the plant is. Sorry!! Karen

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostMon May 12, 2003 8:48 pm 
Great job, Newt. You got it. I was going to say it was Castilleja wightii which was listed in my Peterson guide as occuring mostly in CA at the beach but was supposed to occur north to Washington. The drawing looked real close as did some pictures on the web. But wightii was not in the Washington Wildlflowers so I was a bit suspicious. The description in WA Wildflower book matches your picture and habit. Unfortunately, there seems to be an error in the key for Castilleja and you can't get to the ID for Castilleja levisecta via the key. Plus your web links have great pictures and habitat descriptions . On the subject of web pages, I found this site with a lot of pictures of Eastern Washington Flowers. Click on the photo gallery. Central Washington Native Plants We saw Castilleja thompsonii at Hayward Road. There's also a great picture of Camassia quamash. - marta

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon May 12, 2003 10:43 pm 
Newbie Newt wrote:
Got photos. I was told this is what it is but after checking the books I'm not so sure. Doesn't really look like it now. I've never seen Paint Brush before it has opened. Take a look see. NN
Yep! Thats yellow paintbrush! I'm excited that you got to see it! biggrin.gif There are a bunch of restoration efforts going on right now to try and get it back to its entire natural range. Cool stuff I tell ya. I don't think you'd find it in a regular plant id book, but you might try the native plant society web site (http://wnps.org?)

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue May 13, 2003 4:00 am 
yippie
Yeh, the book descriptions had me leaning towards it not being one. Glad the one link had a pnoto of it not open 'cause that really changed my mine. Plus the tip of them being at Ebey's Landing. Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast was the only one that really said much about it. I bet it's a pretty one when it opens up. Which should be soon? Thanks for the links. NN

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue May 13, 2003 6:41 am 
Marta, thanks for the link! That is so kewl, especially the lichen page!

A fuxk, why do I not give one?