Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hozomeen Trail 5/10-13/2007
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed May 16, 2007 11:20 am 
Was up Hozomeen Trail to Nightmare Camp. Probably about 50 downed trees along entire stretch. Most signficant blowdowns were at the very beginning of the trail, about 10 minutes west of Willow Lake, and the large blowdowns at Nightmare Camp only on the trail. Nightmare Camp is fine.

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
summitseeker

summitseeker
PostWed May 16, 2007 4:28 pm 
Bummer, last time I was in there it was free of windfall. waah.gif

"Find out who you are and then do it on purpose." www.summitroutes.com : Guidebook to the 100 highest peaks in Washington
Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostWed May 16, 2007 5:25 pm 
50 trees ain't that bad. I just tried to bike in the mission ridge area, now that's bad, especially if you are carrying your downhill bike. I thought it was bad enough getting it to the top of the hill lol.gif

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostWed May 16, 2007 6:14 pm 
did you camp there? did you have nice dreams? not being snarky in the least - I was at Nightmare last year, it's a beautiful beautiful wilderness camp site, all these giant trees all around a superb campsite did you take any photos?

mossy mom

mossy mom
PostThu May 17, 2007 12:43 pm 
Do you have to go through Canada to get there? Streets and Tips want to send me through Canada.

summitseeker

summitseeker
PostThu May 17, 2007 4:12 pm 
Yes, through Canada is the only way to go by road. Or, alternatively, you could paddle a sea kayak/canoe up Ross Lake starting at Ross Lake Resort in North Cascades National Park. Some folks do that too, but it'd take a while. biggrin.gif There are no hiking trails to get you to the north end of Ross Lake either.

"Find out who you are and then do it on purpose." www.summitroutes.com : Guidebook to the 100 highest peaks in Washington
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu May 17, 2007 6:10 pm 
pest - yes you have to go through Canada. There are no hiking trails to get you to the north end of Ross Lake either. sure there is - the East Bank Trail It's a long one though - 'bout 31 miles. It's well graded, nice and wide, good for man and beast (people can take their horses on it) Early this summer, I intend to walk to Lightning Creek campground one day (15 miles), and walk back the next (from the SR20 side)

summitseeker

summitseeker
PostMon May 21, 2007 8:51 am 
seawallrunner wrote:
pest - yes you have to go through Canada. There are no hiking trails to get you to the north end of Ross Lake either. sure there is - the East Bank Trail It's a long one though - 'bout 31 miles. It's well graded, nice and wide, good for man and beast (people can take their horses on it) Early this summer, I intend to walk to Lightning Creek campground one day (15 miles), and walk back the next (from the SR20 side)
Yep, you're right. Guess I should have looked more closely at the map before opening my mouth. wink.gif

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon May 21, 2007 9:12 am 
no problem summitseeker smile.gif there were some discussions about extending a trail around Ross Lake on the other side, but that plan was thwarted because the trail would interfere with animal habitats (grizzlies and other critters). So on the West side, the trail starts at the Dam and only goes to Big Beaver along the lake, then loops in and re-emerges at Little Beaver. It's the prettier and quieter side of the lake, too, if you go on a canoe. Ah, to return there...