Forum Index > Trail Talk > North Cascades Snow 5/10/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostTue May 13, 2003 11:52 am 
Still lots of it up high. Light snow last Sat above 6000'. Signs of recent small avy's 6000' to 7500'. Firm in AM and then soft in PM. Put in a few miles of holes on way out.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 13, 2003 1:56 pm 
Here we have Liberty Bell. 5/11/03 The parking lot was plowed, but there was still a 6' snow level around the covered toilets. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostTue May 13, 2003 7:47 pm 
Nice shot BPJ. The scenic viewing area you shot from is one of the best anywhere. IMO. Here is what it looks like zoomed up on from Kangaroo Pass. Anyone know if that rock feature is completely natural? I'm hoping it wasn't blasted into it's current flat top to accomadate the masses.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 13, 2003 8:06 pm 
Thanks Pappy. I had my mom with me so we didnt go out on the snow to get out to that viewing area. There were some people out there when we were driving around down to Mazama. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed May 14, 2003 1:27 am 
I believe Liberty Bell and the Early Winter Spires it's part of are the throat of an ancient volcano, and thus completely natural.

pappy-

pappy-
PostWed May 14, 2003 6:09 am 
MCaver wrote:
I believe Liberty Bell and the Early Winter Spires it's part of are the throat of an ancient volcano, and thus completely natural.
MCaver, I was referring to the big flat rock that the visitor overlook is built on. see 2nd pic.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed May 14, 2003 10:01 am 
Not bad Pappy. Here was a shot my friend took when we were on top of Mt. Hardy on 5/10/2003 looking south.
Repulse From Hardy
Repulse From Hardy

Art is an adventure.
IBEX

IBEX
PostWed May 14, 2003 6:12 pm 
Liberty Bell Mountain, Early Winters Spires and much of the surrounding rock near Washington Pass are part of the Black Peak or Golden Horn Batholiths. These large stumps of Ganodiorite magma cooled and solidified nearly 50 million years ago and have since floated up through the earths mantle to be shaped, shatter and sculpted by repetitive glacial periods. Though granite and volcanic rocks are related as igneous types, volcanic rock climbs are crumbly and treacherous, were as granite rocks are mostly solid and a pure joy to climb.
Nice image Stefan.
Nice image Stefan.

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostWed May 14, 2003 6:18 pm 
I've been reading this book on the N. Cascades that says some of the rock came from China. That's a long ways or maybe it wasn't so long back then.

Quark

Quark
PostWed May 14, 2003 9:58 pm 
Yup, a plate from S China docked onto us, alright. I forget all the particulars. Too lazy to pull out the books. IBEX is hot onto it, though... As an added nifty thing about the area - there are seashell fossils in the rock on top of Slate Peak. Next time you're there, take a tool and hammer away -eventually you find a fossil. I have 2 of 'em sitting on my windowsill, along with a chunk of Route 66. I drove as much of the original Rt 66 as I possibly could, from Amarillo to California. It drove my nephew nuts, 'cause I insisted on getting outta the car, standing on the old broken road, and reflecting of days gone by. I try doing that at Slate Peak, but it is sometimes difficult to be One with a fossilized crustacean - yet I really should admit that sometimes I am on the same level and have no problem tuning in with them.

Larry

Larry
PostWed May 14, 2003 10:17 pm 
Quark pontificated: "I try doing that at Slate Peak, but it is sometimes difficult to be One with a fossilized crustacean - yet I really should admit that sometimes I am on the same level and have no problem tuning in with them." I have been having good luck becoming one with the more modern and contemporary crustaceans. I pried a group of chitons off the rocks at Yellow Banks, shaved my head, and placed them in a double helix pattern on my skull. The resultant strains of "Go tell Alice When She's Ten Feet Tall" provided me with a quite forbidden pleasure, when coupled with the holdfast pads on the chitons squinching the skin of my skull up as though it had been attacked by the rubber thing from a snakebite kit.

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostWed May 14, 2003 10:44 pm 
When I go to Slate Peak, I do some clamming and then I make fresh Linguine. agree.gif It is quite good, especially in that setting. The beige rocks in that area come from Beiging, or rather, Beiging left them there. One or the other.

Larry

Larry
PostThu May 15, 2003 6:43 am 
polarbear- wrote:
When I go to Slate Peak, I do some clamming and then I make fresh Linguine. agree.gif It is quite good, especially in that setting. The beige rocks in that area come from Beiging, or rather, Beiging left them there. One or the other.
Everything seems to taste better in the outdoors.