Forum Index > Trail Talk > Looking for a good, isolated (mtn) lake to fish and camp at
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
WAZX3DRVR

WAZX3DRVR
PostWed May 14, 2003 9:30 am 
OK, lately I've been looking for some new places to stomp around. I'd like to find a lake that requires one to hike there and that allows camping. The trailhead needs to be accessible by (lowered) two-wheel drive cars, and the place cannot prohibit the carrying of firearms. Hopefully my criteria isn't TOO terribly stringent, and any input and advice is greatly appreciated in advance. Thank you. Sieg

'00 Atlantic Blue Ford Focus ZX3 Insured by SIG Sauer
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostWed May 14, 2003 10:38 am 
why exactly do you need the fire arms?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 14, 2003 10:39 am 
Well, the only places where you cant carry firearms are Mt. Rainier and the North Cascades, as they are national parks. As far as good lakes that meet your criteria, the accessible by lowered street cars bit is what's gonna hurt you. Email me off list and I'll provide you with some suggestions. We like to keep the good places quiet! jt_bentzen@yahoo.com Well here we go again with the firearms bit. With all due respect Dicentra, there are people out there (me included) who feel it is there duty to be responsible for their own protection. Now be that animals, or in most cases people that you need protection from, a firearm is the only true way to defend yourself as most likely the bad guy(s) is/are going to have them too. In life, you can never plan for what *will* happen to you. You can only plan for/against what *can* happen to you. When I am alone I always carry a gun. When I am with others I do not always carry, as there is safety in numbers. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
WAZX3DRVR

WAZX3DRVR
PostWed May 14, 2003 10:53 am 
Quote:
In life, you can never plan for what *will* happen to you. You can only plan for/against what *can* happen to you. When I am alone I always carry a gun. When I am with others I do not always carry, as there is safety in numbers.
My sentiments exactly. I carry nearly 100% of time.....that is my decision and right. I do so prudently and legally, and feel that it should be considered by ANYONE when they are venturing out by themselves.

'00 Atlantic Blue Ford Focus ZX3 Insured by SIG Sauer
Dante

Dante
PostWed May 14, 2003 11:09 am 
My VW Golf has 4 1/2 inches of ground clearance. That will get you to the jumping off point (can't say "trailhead" because ther is no trail) to [censored] [censored] and [censored] or to [censored] and [censored] lakes. If you want to hike on a trail, there are a bunch of lakes off I-90 (e.g., Mason, Talupus, Olallie, etc.) and the Stevens Pass Highway that meet your criteria. Depending on the condition of the Middle Fork Road (currently bad, I understand) you might be able to hike into any of the lakes off the Taylor River (Dear, Bear, Snoqualmie, Nordrum, etc.)

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 14, 2003 11:28 am 
Nearly everything is still snow covered! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 14, 2003 11:37 am 
Not to mention some people think it's recponcible to keep mum about good, isolated mtn lakes that are too close (for their own good) to the end of a road. winksmile.gif

Dante

Dante
PostWed May 14, 2003 11:44 am 
I cencored my previous post to be responcible wink.gif

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostWed May 14, 2003 2:27 pm 
Lost Lake in the Goat Rocks W.A. would fit your criterion-I usually don't even consider it until mid July-it's under a ridge that doesn't let it get much sun. I've been there a fair number of times and never seen another person, although once when going I met a party going in.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 14, 2003 3:46 pm 
Hence my taking this subject OFF forum! I got tagged for talking about fishing lakes once already! TB

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed May 14, 2003 4:07 pm 
There's got to be a gun website somewhere where you guys can whack each other's willies and talk about personal safety or whatever Second Amendment BS you can't live without. This is a hiking website, and the rest of us are sick and tired of hearing about your guns. down.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 14, 2003 4:26 pm 
Jesus Christ Allison, a few people having an intelligent and relevant (to us) conversation and you have to INSULT us, FREAK out and b**** and F****** moan about it/us! If YOU don't like the conversation stay the F*** out of it! Nobody asked you to pipe in and insult us! If you'd stretch your intelligence and focus on the first post of this topic you'll see that guns ARE relevant to the person who posted this topic, and to hiking in general. "the rest of us" I'm sure ALL the other people are happy that you're speaking for them too! You don't HAVE to be a b**** Al, you're choosing to be one because you don't like me! Why insult other people in the process? TB

Dante

Dante
PostWed May 14, 2003 4:45 pm 
G*** are only referenced in 4 out of the 11 posts before your's Allison. In one the reference was in a quotation and in all but one g*** were a secondary topic. Before you showed up I would have rated this thread pretty high for lack of thread drift--especially given the g** content. It's one of WAZX3DRVR's posted criteria. dicentra asked about it--I can't fault that. BPJ answered WAZX3DRVR's question and BPJ and WAZX3DRVR tried to answer dicentra's question within the context of the original post (and BPJ exercised unusual restraint wink.gif ). As far as I can see, g*** weren't mentioned again until you showed up moon.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 14, 2003 5:16 pm 
I felt kinda bad about not commenting on guns, so I deleted one of my posts to increase the gun ratio to 4 out of 10. embarassedlaugh.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed May 14, 2003 6:56 pm 
Hmm, that reminds me of a video clip of someone having a bad day... suuure.gif Dial-up (419 KB) High Speed (4.9 MB)